Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Hobbies that bring in cash
Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like making beaded jewelery, and have donated it to charitable auctions, and thought about trying to sell some in local gift shops, but never got a round tuit. Beads can get expensive, but buying yard sale junk and taking it apart is cheap and fun.

Lots of other hobbies, but none of them income-producing.

We grow lots of veggies in the summer but just give away the surplus.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

In retirement my wife would like to breed her choice of dog. I was really into breeding(not breading oops ) pet snakes when younger and its a very involved hobby. I would like to start back up once retired.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #23

I'm not gonna touch that one with a ten foot pole
Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho
I was really into breading pet snakes when younger and its a very involved hobby. I would like to start back up once retired.
So what kind of breading did you use? Sounds yummy!

JG
Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #25

Quote:
So what kind of breading did you use? Sounds yummy!
I think the next question is: red or a white wine?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Home improvement. We've saved thousands by doing the work ourselves, and now the solar array is paying a dividend.

Handyman. Neighbors are happy to pay me $25/hour to make their repairs. Why, last year alone I pulled in over $50, and our kid learned a lot about spackling & cleaning out plumbing drains. She can't believe that she's getting paid $10/hour to learn it...

Investing. It's certainly been educational, and it's been breathtakingly volatile, but in the last four years it's made money. Of course I could have made about the same amount of money investing in the right index, but I wouldn't have answered all these pesky testosterone-poisoned "what if?" questions.

Yardwork. We've been growing our own fruits & vegetables and generating our own compost.

One of these days I will eBay the pile of crap valuable collectibles on my desk, and this time I really mean it!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #27

What about simply running your own website with quality content and selling advertising? If you can generate enough hits, the ad prices go up.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #28

Nords,

I am also doing some renovations on my lower level this winter. I need to do some spackling. Got any tips?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Nords,

I am also doing some renovations on my lower level this winter.
Find a good urologist.

JG
Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Find a good urologist.

JG
I asked for it, didn't I?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am also doing some renovations on my lower level this winter. I need to do some spackling. Got any tips?
OK, now that the comic relief has cleared the stage...

If you're filling little holes (1" diameter or less) then I like the Red Devil or the DAP spackle.* Sometimes it can just be pushed in with your fingers and smoothed over.

We don't usually use the wall-repair kits.* Bigger holes benefit from a backer board and maybe a small piece of drywall.* It's easier to use joint compound to fill in the leftovers.* It's also easier to spring for a 6" or 10" taping knife to smooth the whole area. Here's one example.

Taping drywall joints is a whole 'nother topic...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Nords,

It's really hard to screw up spackling. No matter what you use, let it dry/set before you paint it. If you don't like the results, sand it down and do it again. If it's a deep/large patch, the patch material might shrink when it drys -- so add a second application.

Joint tape can take some practice to get it right. Don't get in a hurry to get the job done and if you don't like the results, take it down and do it over. Spackle material is cheap. Labor is costly.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #33

Apply the first layer so it protrudes slightly from the wall - it'll shrink or you can sand it - don't worry about getting it perfect.

Apply second layer - get it perfect, let it dry at least 24 hrs, and it and if it looks good, paint it.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just buy the spackle in large boxes...about a foot square, add your own water. To hell with joint tape and backer boards. I just jam a huge handful into the hole, come back the next day and do it again. Repeat until it just needs a little touch up, texturing and paint. I probably have a few walls that are 75% solid spackle.

My wifes favorite line when i'm doing this: "So THATS how the pro's do it..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I just buy the spackle in large boxes...about a foot square, add your own water.* To hell with joint tape and backer boards.* I just jam a huge handful into the hole, come back the next day and do it again.* Repeat until it just needs a little touch up, texturing and paint.* I probably have a few walls that are 75% solid spackle.

My wifes favorite line when i'm doing this: "So THATS how the pro's do it..."
Back when I used to rent out my house the renters would "fix" small holes in the walls with either stick deoderant or toothpaste. It covers the hole but paint won't stick to it very well. Vinyl spackle is my favorite on nail holes. The bigger stuff (door knob holes in walls---boys with anger management problems ) requires screen or backer board to keep the stuff from just falling into the wall cavity. I would hate to even thing about the hundreds of holes I have patched up to this point in my life. (Used to paint houses in school).
Old 01-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
The bigger stuff (door knob holes in walls---boys with anger management problems ) requires screen or backer board to keep the stuff from just falling into the wall cavity.
Clearly you werent using a big enough handful, or you didnt jam it in there fast enough. You use a glob the size of a couple of softballs and slam it in there, it sticks between the two pieces of drywall.

Dont try this at home, even with adult supervision...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #37

ooooy ooooy you're all giving me a headache, my dh was/is a sheetrocker/taper, I can't even mention the word Spackle around him because of all the spackle jobs he's had to go in an fix.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I like making beaded jewelery, and have donated it to charitable auctions, and thought about trying to sell some in local gift shops, but never got a round tuit.
Exactly what DW loves doing. I think it will be her "second" career.

For me diving instructor in my college days, windsurfing instruction in my 30's and kitesurfing instruction now. Guess I got sort of theme going here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deadman 6.jpg (12.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #39

Dave,
That reminded me of one of my FIRE dreams - I'd like to get my scuba dive master certificatation.

I guess I could make some money with that hobby, but probably not enough to pay for the equipment. I don't really like the responsibilityand liability issues of being a guide, either. But living in a tropical climate for a few months might convince me.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
For me diving instructor in my college days, windsurfing instruction in my 30's and kitesurfing instruction now.
Dave,
I was wondering how hard is the learn kitesurfing, let's say for an average Merkin?

sailor