Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Hobby Farm Living

Grass Valley, California seems to a nice and quiet place for retirement. The climate is moderate. It has mountains and lakes. The cost of living is average. Check out this Christmas farm. It has 50 aches with water fall and creek.

If you can afford the price, would you consider it as a place for retirement?
__________________

__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Spanky - Grass Valley is a beautiful place. One of favorite places to visit. Nevada City which is up the road has great little shops. Interestingly enough, I met three shop owners a while back who are refugees from the corporate world in the bay area. They each had high paying, executive level jobs and decided to throw in the towel and exchanged their high flying lifestyles for some simple peace and quiet.
__________________

__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 212
Re: Hobby Farm Living

I was there once and it was just beautiful, with lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation. I thought it was great except for the cost.

A friend of mine has lived there for about ten years. He loves the climate and the location, but complains that people there are greedy, evil SOB's compared to the midwest. He's planning to move to Colorado.
__________________
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Spanky - Grass Valley is a beautiful place. One of favorite places to visit. Nevada City which is up the road has great little shops. Interestingly enough, I met three shop owners a while back who are refugees from the corporate world in the bay area. They each had high paying, executive level jobs and decided to throw in the towel and exchanged their high flying lifestyles for some simple peace and quiet.
They probably never look back to the corporate lives.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc
I was there once and it was just beautiful, with lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation. I thought it was great except for the cost.

A friend of mine has lived there for about ten years. He loves the climate and the location, but complains that people there are greedy, evil SOB's compared to the midwest. He's planning to move to Colorado.
My brother lives in Boulder and really enjoys it.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,949
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Grass Valley, California seems to a nice and quiet place for retirement. The climate is moderate. It has mountains and lakes. The cost of living is average. Check out this Christmas farm. It has 50 aches with water fall and creek.

If you can afford the price, would you consider it as a place for retirement?
I would love to live in Grass Valley if I could afford it. I haven't been there since 1970 or so, so I am basing that opinion on the Grass Valley of 37 years ago.

I am not so sure about living on that Christmas tree farm!! Maybe it would be hard to get in and out of there in the winter. Since we're daydreaming, I'd rather daydream that I could afford whatever place I wanted in Grass Valley, and go from there.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I would love to live in Grass Valley if I could afford it. I haven't been there since 1970 or so, so I am basing that opinion on the Grass Valley of 37 years ago.

I am not so sure about living on that Christmas tree farm!! Maybe it would be hard to get in and out of there in the winter. Since we're daydreaming, I'd rather daydream that I could afford whatever place I wanted in Grass Valley, and go from there.
I guess the cost of housing has risen over 25% since last year. The median home value in Grass Valley, CA, is $439,000. It's not exactly affordable.

The Christmas farm is very pretty, but not a practical place to live since it may require a lot of maintenance and may be inconvenient to get in and out as you mentioned.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 899
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I guess the cost of housing has risen over 25% since last year. The median home value in Grass Valley, CA, is $439,000. It's not exactly affordable.
Yeh, but still cheap compared to the Bay Area and that is where many of the new arrivals are coming from.

I have been thinking about the Sierra foothills as a possible retirement location. I don't like the heat in the valley in the summer and I don't want to deal with the snow and cold in the winter. I have been wondering if there is an optimum location (maybe 2000' or so) where you can avoid both the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter?

Doesn't Grass Valley get pretty hot in the summmer?

MB
__________________
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,375
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Yeh, but still cheap compared to the Bay Area and that is where many of the new arrivals are coming from.

I have been thinking about the Sierra foothills as a possible retirement location. I don't like the heat in the valley in the summer and I don't want to deal with the snow and cold in the winter. I have been wondering if there is an optimum location (maybe 2000' or so) where you can avoid both the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter?

Doesn't Grass Valley get pretty hot in the summmer?

MB
MB: 1,800 to 2,000 elevation puts you above the "Tule" Fog that during the winter is pretty common in the central valley of Calif. Also , except for very rare occassions, under the snow line.

As far as heat is concerned, a slight break there, but only about 6 degrees less during the summer. (But it's a dry heat).

All in all, probably the best climate available in Calif., with the possible exception of living on the coast. (I personally prefer it to the coast because the low humidity summer heat suits me better.)

Pretty hard to beat.
__________________
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 944
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Placerville or the Auburn area of the foothills are a good elevation. You don't get the valley fog, some snow that melts quickly, no smog and cooler summers. Both are big enough to have all you need locally.
__________________
Freed at 49. You only live once - live it
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
All in all, probably the best climate available in Calif., with the possible exception of living on the coast. (I personally prefer it to the coast because the low humidity summer heat suits me better.)

Pretty hard to beat.
My sister lives in Alameda. As you said, the weather is very hard to beat. I also like Oceanside, CA. The weather is pretty the same all year long - dry and warm.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Hobby Farm Living
Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Hobby Farm Living

Here are some photos of Nevada county, CA. It seems to be a nice place for retirement, albeit not cheap.
__________________

__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FIRE - A Guaranteed Decline in Standard of Living? bbuzzard FIRE and Money 51 12-23-2006 05:10 PM
standard on living or living with basic in US Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 14 12-30-2005 11:35 AM
Scott Burns - High Cost of Living as a Family intercst Young Dreamers 6 08-23-2005 10:06 AM
My job? Living here preben FIRE and Money 38 07-17-2005 10:09 AM
Yet another revocable living trust question. Nords Other topics 14 11-30-2004 02:45 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.