Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Holding your tongue those last few days
Old 08-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Holding your tongue those last few days

I know, with 4 days left to go that it really doesn't make any sense to point out to the pointy-haired bosses and lame coworkers just how little clothing they have on. But it sure is getting difficult.

Why can't they just cut me some slack for a few more days and not inflict prima donna tantrums on me?

grrrrr
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Holding your tongue those last few days
Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a deep breath and just go to your Happy Place....
Congratulations on being almost to the finish line!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
Why can't they just cut me some slack for a few more days and not inflict prima donna tantrums on me?
Envy and jealousy are ugly, aren't they?

REW
Old 08-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, heh

Why not spend some big bucks - and give some paperback copies of Your Money or Your Life - to er ah some of your more 'deserving' co workers.

One thing I learned after thirty years down here - some Southerner's can stick it to you with a smile and extreme politeness - way better than this old Dam Yankee.

I been practicing - but alas - I think grumpy old curmudgeon is where I'll end up.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

There's no envy or jealousy, just the same old managers who have been promoted about 2-3 levels beyond their level of incompetence, yet see it as only just recognition of their sterling qualities.* :

Plus I had a new employee (three days here) throw a fit yesterday and go running to management to accuse me of not giving him the systems help he needs.* That conveniently ignores the fact that management is the one who didn't tell him to have his systems folks burn a CD for him if he wanted to bring along any files to our location.* I can't help him with files that are outside my jurisdiction (and which might already have been deleted from the old locations servers anyway).* He also told them that he was going to go to someone else in the future for his system help.*

That rather ignores that the other sysadmin here has been out.* *I've had his email set up since yesterday, but since he doesn't want to talk to me I can't tell him about that.* *

Assholes.* I'm SO tired of dealing with assholes and their crap.

I'll certainly miss some of my coworkers as I've worked with some of them for nearly 25 years.* I sure won't miss the work though!

cheers,
Michael
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
There's no envy or jealousy, just the same old managers who have been promoted about 2-3 levels beyond their level of incompetence, yet see it as only just recognition of their sterling qualities.** :

Plus I had a new employee (three days here) throw a fit yesterday and go running to management to accuse me of not giving him the systems help he needs.* That conveniently ignores the fact that management is the one who didn't tell him to have his systems folks burn a CD for him if he wanted to bring along any files to our location.* I can't help him with files that are outside my jurisdiction (and which might already have been deleted from the old locations servers anyway).* He also told them that he was going to go to someone else in the future for his system help.*
Sounds like this problem solved itself.

Hang in there!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There's no envy or jealousy, just the same old managers who have been promoted about 2-3 levels beyond their level of incompetence, yet see it as only just recognition of their sterling qualities. :
Nothing unusual, it's just the Peter Principal at work.
Like someone said take a deep breath.
When you come in the next 3 mornings this final week, keep remembering that you've dug yourself out of this dark workhole, while come next Monday, these managers will still be where you left them. You may want to pray for your co-worker friends to have more patience as they will continue to deal with these same managers.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no trouble finding pity for those who will still be here! Two of the other long-timers will be escaping by the end of the year, and I'm expecting that one who is already in the "Kiss My Ass" club and can retire on a moment's notice is unlikely to see the end of the year.

It is too bad so many of us feel great relief and see ourselves as "escaping" from work. When you've put in 29+ years (I started working on year 30 on yesterday) it would be nice if we could look back on things with some fondness and regret that those good times had come to the end, to be replaced by new good times.

But it does seem like the old adage of "if it was meant to be fun they wouldn't call it work" fits for far too many of us.

cheers,
Michael
Old 08-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #9

Sad to say but I think most older workers feel that they get **** on and are not appreciated after many years of dedication and hard work. After 31+ years I felt I had had enough and didn't want to go down that bitter road, so I gave two months notice and retired. Quite frankly I liked my co-workers and boss(s) for the most part. It was the political corporate dilbert bullshit that drove me nuts. And sometime I think it is just the natural evolution of how careers progress in the workplace. Can't say that I know many retirees that have much good to say about their former place of employment, really kind of sad if you think about it.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know, with 4 days left to go that it really doesn't make any sense to point out to the pointy-haired bosses and lame coworkers just how little clothing they have on.* But it sure is getting difficult.* *
Somehow you figured out how to find the exit sign in the burning building. Even if you personally hog-tied the rest of them and led them to safety, they'd jump right back in as soon as they untied themselves. While it's easy to feel anger, perhaps pity is more appropriate.

Smile, take a deep breath, and start calculating your happiness factor.*

You would think that it'd be hard to be distracted by these temper tantrums & pontificates when you have the rest of your life awaiting your planning. Get started-- you only have three days left to get it done on company time & resources!!

* HF = (Days of ER) / (Days until ER), although tomorrow you'll probably want to start doing the calculation in hours or even minutes so that you can watch its slope rise.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #11

I think an interesting semi-retire job would be to do research (ala Jane Goodall) on workplace behavior. Not that I am calling some of them monkeys....well maybe........
Old 08-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #12

Michael,
try these for a feeling of leaving with a bit of fun.

1. *Have a female friend/wife write you a steamy (graphic) love letter and leave it where it will be found.

2. *Put a picture of a Pitt Special acrobatic bi-plane on your office wall and have a secretary leave you a message saying "Michael, Mr Planeseller called to inform you that the plane is completed and will be tested during the next two weeks. *Needs to hear from you regarding final payment."

3. Have someone use a phone message pad to leave you a message. "Corporate HR would be happy to meet with you regarding this. Is 09:00-11:00 feasible. *(Bosses will pee themselves)

4. Casually mention to the office gossip that you doubt your mail will actually reach you in Tahiti during the next 3 months.

Should provide for a lively office after you leave.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
* HF = (Days of ER) / (Days until ER), although tomorrow you'll probably want to start doing the calculation in hours or even minutes so that you can watch its slope rise.
I think you have an error in your formula. When I put this into excel, and change the days to ER to zero, I get and error message. Is it true that your happiness factor goes to infinity once you have zero days to ER?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP, I'm a CSRS Federal employee, and while I've had some great managers, the ones I've been dealing with of late aren't among that group. One of them has put a whole new spin on the term "sleeping your way to the top" as she's a GS14 with multiple "outstanding" high quality step increases who is noted for having the automatic light in her office go off without her noticing because she's fallen asleep at her desk (again). As one former employee remarked when hearing about her promotion to a GS14 "her? That woman's dumb as a post!"

There's probably nothing I could leave that would even cause them to blink, mostly because they're about as oblivious as is possible. They are certainly great examples of how a manager's success can depend on the employees below them, as they've been lucky to have a group of self-directing and very competent people who see that the work gets done in spite of the management meddling. Dilbert Lives!

No need for the Pitts photos - any coworker that might care already knows that I've got dozens of motorcycles and they'd probably see a sport bipe as just another odd thing I own (though a friend does have a Starduster II). Most of them can't appreciate the $30K I've put into two machine tools this past year, but my gearhead buddies are impressed.

I'm taking an early out with pension, not retiring to live on my savings so they aren't going to be impressed with my fiscal acumen.

Now maybe the phone message from Ace Guns about the semiautomatic shotguns and pallet of ammunition would get their attention . . .

cheers,
Michael
Old 08-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
Sad to say but I think most older workers feel that they get **** on and are not appreciated after many years of dedication and hard work.* After 31+ years I felt I had had enough and didn't want to go down that bitter road, so I gave two months notice and retired.* Quite frankly I liked my co-workers and boss(s) for the most part.* It was the political corporate dilbert bull**** that drove me nuts.* And sometime I think it is just the natural evolution of how careers progress in the workplace.* Can't say that I know many retirees that have much good to say about their former place of employment, really kind of sad if you think about it.*
Well, I don't have anything bad to say about any former "places of employment". IMHO, it's an ego thing. Since I believe I am smarter
than everyone on the planet, nothing that any employers did had
any negative effect on me. I watch out for myself. Like the
'Capital One' commercial, those who oppose me are "going down"
( I laugh every time they run that). Anyway, I never hated any job
in my life. If I had, I'd have left and not looked back.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #16

I don't hate any of them, either. . NOW

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
I have no trouble finding pity for those who will still be here!* Two of the other long-timers will be escaping by the end of the year, and I'm expecting that one who is already in the "Kiss My Ass" club and can retire on a moment's notice is unlikely to see the end of the year.

It is too bad so many of us feel great relief and see ourselves as "escaping" from work.* When you've put in 29+ years (I started working on year 30 on yesterday) it would be nice if we could look back on things with some fondness and regret that those good times had come to the end, to be replaced by new good times.

But it does seem like* the old adage of "if it was meant to be fun they wouldn't call it work" fits for far too many of us.

cheers,
Michael
I enjoyed most of it.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
When I put this into excel, and change the days to ER to zero, I get and error message.* Is it true that your happiness factor goes to infinity once you have zero days to ER?*
Maybe you're using a Pentium chip.

Believe it or not, some things just can't be spreadsheeted and have to be experienced to be truly appreciated...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #19

My happiness has increased as I got older.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #20

Lazarus, glad to see you rise up!

Micheal,
Dilbert is so accurate that we need to really study Dilbert's version of:
1.Total Quality Management-------TQM
2. Continuous Process Improvement ----CPI
3. ISO 9000 -- Inane crap
4. 6 Sigma - (a really funny joke)

Wait, did we get them all! *Has American industry so bought into these jokes that it's best to go overseas to find a valid, profitabale company to do business with.

YES! *
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote

« nm | Kaderli CD »