Join Early Retirement Today

Re: holiday spending
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All this "Happy Holiday" stuff was a topic of conversation at breakfast yesterday. My dad has an interesting way of dealing with it, before the clerks at the stores can get the words out of their mouths he wishes them Merry Christmas. He's enjoying the look of confusion on their faces because he figures they've been instructed to not say Merry Christmas.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
All this "Happy Holiday" stuff was a topic of conversation at breakfast yesterday.* My dad has an interesting way of dealing with it, before the clerks at the stores can get the words out of their mouths he wishes them Merry Christmas.* He's enjoying the look of confusion on their faces because he figures they've been instructed to not say Merry Christmas.
I like this.* I'm gonna do it just to see the reaction.* I mean, these politically correct sumbi****s have taken this a bit too far.* Might be time for a boycott of one of the stores.* It is amazing what economic sanctions do for their "moral" highground.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eagle43:
Quote:
I mean, these politically correct sumbi****s have taken this a bit too far.
Justin:
Quote:
I guess you have to be PC these days.*
Outtahere:
Quote:
All this "Happy Holiday" stuff was a topic of conversation at breakfast yesterday.* My dad has an interesting way of dealing with it, before the clerks at the stores can get the words out of their mouths he wishes them Merry Christmas.* He's enjoying the look of confusion on their faces because he figures they've been instructed to not say Merry Christmas.*
Gosh, Guys, this is great! I thought it was just me who felt this way, so I hesitated in responding to this PC stuff..* On the other hand, when I wish Merry Christmas, temporarily forgetting that my Jewish friends don't necessarily celebrate Christmas, I don't mind them telling me so - then I wish them Happy Hannukha... I mean, geeze, it's not like I go out looking to offend someone..* :P

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 12-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

My family is VERY extensive. As the Grandchildren (of which I am one of over 20) and then later Great grandchildren started to arrive (along with everyones associated increase in Nieces, Newphews etc), the whole gift situation become ridiculous. So an agreement was made that parents gifts for children (and vice versa) and Grandchildren pool a small amount for a joint gift for their Grandparents. Thats it. No more. This way, the close family (i.e. parents and children) have more money available to spend on something special for each other, without all the wasted time effort and money on a small gift for all and sundry. It works well and everyone is happy.

As for us, the wife and I never particularly go overboard and will probably spend the equivalent of US$50 to US$100 on each other, with something similar for our respective parents. Our young child (nearly two years) will get about US$100 worth of things. Our Christmas decorations are the same as the past 3 years (when the last lot were replaced) and probably cost less than US$50 all up. Cards sent to family and close friends, total cost about US$40, including international postage.

We have my wifes family over for Christmas dinner which I cook and that will probably cost us less than US$75 all in.

I guess our overall philosophy is that extravagent doesn't necessarily mean "nice" and we enjoy the time with family more than the "show" of the expensve gifts, decorations etc.

Cheers,

Honkie

Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Honkie,

Your plan sounds very reasonable and down to earth! Good for you all!

Since we are in Thailand at present, we will be sending electronic Christmas cards...* I have a girlfriend who only sends "New Year's Cards" after the hoopla is all over.* Gives her something to do in January when everyone seems to be in the 'credit card blahs' and it's her way of extending the cheer!

No one ever remembers to expect it, and it's a nice surprise.*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #86

Billy, We do that here at our company. We are flooded with Christmas cards (or is that holiday cards), after the first of the year we send out a New Year card, our clients and vendors love it.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #87

After about a decade of sensless gift giving (have yet to see my brother in law use a putter I bought him ... and we golf together a couple times/year!), I proposed the adults give the name of thier favorite charity. All gifts would be donations to that persons charity. Could have been really creative/cool to see what peoples "causes" are ... but all opted to just have the cousins/kids exchange gifts via a name drawing.

Works for me.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #88

Our holiday spending is far less than last year. I've got a feeling Christmas will be just as wonderful either way.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #89

We have dh's kids and grandkids over xmass eve for present opening and dinner. Yesterday he looked at the pile of presents and said it didn't look big enough. I had to remind him that although the pile may be smaller the dollar amount is the same. He seemed to forget we bought more gift certifs since I was having surgery last week and didn't have time for all the shopping.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Adding in last night's phone call - about six guests thru the Holidays - two rotating from Japan to Pennsicola and four taking a break from 'the hurricane zone' in LA, MS and AL.

Spect to do a little entertaining and jawing - and set any budget aside for this Holiday Season.

Heh heh heh
Old 12-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmm

Adding in last night's phone call - about six guests thru the Holidays - two rotating from Japan to Pennsicola and four taking a break from 'the hurricane zone' in LA, MS and AL.

Spect to do a little entertaining and jawing - and set any budget aside for this Holiday Season.

Heh heh heh
Hey I hope you enjoy your guest this Holiday season. Been a tough year for you. Your guest may feel as though they need to help get you through the holidays, but I have a feeling you will be lifting their spirits with your good sense of humor towards life. Gonna be my first Christmas without my brother, so...................it's gonna be sad. But life moves on and I'm gonna keep a cheerful face with the family.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! Liberals and conservatives.*
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #92
Confused about dryer sheets

Having become thoroughly disgusted with the commercialization of the holiday season, 2 years ago I instituted a policy of no present exchanges. Instead everyone was to go out and buy THEMSELVES something, and wrap it up. Christmas day the family gets together and everyone opens their present and shares what they bought with everyone else...a further rule was that the item should be bought on ebay or at other than full retail if at all possible.

The result is a peaceful Christmas day more devoted to family, no pre-holiday stressing (haven't been to a mall in 1-1/2 years now), lower costs, and people tend to select things they want to show other people, not just what they want.

Last year not everyone got on board..but when they saw how well it was working, they all agreed that is how we'll do it this year.