Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #201
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I’ve got about 15 guys crawling all over the inside and outside of my house. Doing a whole house window replacement on my 25 year old house. Twenty four insulated glass windows, upstairs and down. I’m amazed at how quickly they are progressing. Should have the whole thing finished today.

Next up, all new window coverings. DW wants Plantation Shutters. Will also be ordering a new front door unit with side lights and transom above.

Blow the dough!!
Wow! I can't even imagine. Blow that dough!! It's going to look gorgeous, and with insulated glass you may use a lot less energy too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! I can't even imagine. Blow that dough!! It's going to look gorgeous, and with insulated glass you may use a lot less energy too.

The old windows we’re actually double pane too. But, the 25 year old seals had failed on most of them, resulting in cloudiness between the panes. So, I’m guessing we will see some savings (these are more efficient than our old ones), but not expecting big savings like you would expect going from single pane to insulated.

Still negotiating with DW on the extent of the Plantation Shutters. At least 10 of the windows will get them. Maybe blow a little less dough on the others. I think we will leave some windows naked on the back of the house overlooking the pool.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still negotiating with DW on the extent of the Plantation Shutters. At least 10 of the windows will get them. Maybe blow a little less dough on the others. I think we will leave some windows naked on the back of the house overlooking the pool.
And you can do them later. My window replacements in March, 2017 were for the same reason- leaking seals- and I put plantation shutters in 2 out of the 3 rooms where I replaced windows. Finally decided to add them in the kitchen, which gets considerable sun load in the AM. They're coming to give me an estimate tomorrow.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #204

Quote:
The old windows we’re actually double pane too. But, the 25 year old seals had failed on most of them, resulting in cloudiness between the panes. So, I’m guessing we will see some savings (these are more efficient than our old ones), but not expecting big savings like you would expect going from single pane to insulated.

We're seeing the cloudiness in some or our windows as well (they are 27 yrs. old). If you don't mind, what was the cost for the 24 windows? I'm almost afraid to ask. If you rather send a pm, please be my guest.

Thanks
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
We're seeing the cloudiness in some or our windows as well (they are 27 yrs. old). If you don't mind, what was the cost for the 24 windows? I'm almost afraid to ask. If you rather send a pm, please be my guest.

Thanks
You probably know this, but just in case: You can very likely have just the "insulated glazing units" (IGUs) in those windows replaced, which can save a lot of money (especially the labor demolition and installing new frames). It's a lot less messy, too. Obviously, this requires that the frames be in good condition.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #206

The bids were all over the place. Two were around $50 K (no way!) and the low bid was about $11 K. We settled on a middle bid around $19 K. We bought Milgard windows, which was the only manufacturer that we saw that had a slimmer profile frame (most replacement windows have “chunky” frames).
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Cool, good to know. I like Milgard and I only have 7 windows so thinking that would be around 6 grand.

Easy -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You probably know this, but just in case: You can very likely have just the "insulated glazing units" (IGUs) in those windows replaced, which can save a lot of money (especially the labor demolition and installing new frames). It's a lot less messy, too. Obviously, this requires that the frames be in good condition.

Thanks, I did not know that. Some of the frames (wood interiors) need to be replaced but not all. They are Andersen windows.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #209

Quote:
The bids were all over the place. Two were around $50 K (no way!) and the low bid was about $11 K. We settled on a middle bid around $19 K. We bought Milgard windows, which was the only manufacturer that we saw that had a slimmer profile frame (most replacement windows have “chunky” frames).

Thanks for the numbers. Give me at least a ballpark (gulp) !
Old 07-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #210
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Plantation Shutters = Blow that dough for sure, especially for 24 windows! Will look great though.
Another resident in our development recently told us their new neighbor had the plantation shutters removed on their unit.

By a contractor who then replaced them...with vinyl mini-blinds.

I would have swapped my mini-blinds for their shutters for free!
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

A friend who has plantation shutters said their frames prevent the window sashes from being tilted in to easily wash the windows, so the outsides still have to washed from the outside. Maybe some plantation shutters don’t do that?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Robbie the plumber installed the whole house carbon water filter;

Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Another resident in our development recently told us their new neighbor had the plantation shutters removed on their unit.

By a contractor who then replaced them...with vinyl mini-blinds.

I would have swapped my mini-blinds for their shutters for free!
We are moving to a house with plantation shutters in about a month. I'm excited to get away from mini-blinds for awhile.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #214

Working backwards through Robbie's improvements and the other kitchen remodels:

Is it a "thing" these days to not have an over-range microwave on remodels? The new house doesn't, so previous owner had a small countertop microwave. My mom has an in-drawer microwave. I've always had the over-range "space saver" models because they made sense, but the new house has an exhaust hood over the range that looks nice. Just seems like a waste of counter space to put a microwave there, yet it's something we definitely want/need in the kitchen.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

I've always thought those over range microwaves did not vent smoke as well as a hood that was designed for the purpose. And those "re-circulator / filter" units just suck.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Robbie the plumber installed the whole house carbon water filter;
You forgot to hide the torch witness marks on the wood, that we all have.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If you only have a few to do, and want to DIY, this company will custom make them with a wide variety of options. www.onedayglass.com. I needed a small one to replace one set into a mult-pane door, and it worked well.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You forgot to hide the torch witness marks on the wood, that we all have.
Yeah. One is supposed to tack some sheet metal there before soldering but ...
Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I've always thought those over range microwaves did not vent smoke as well as a hood that was designed for the purpose. And those "re-circulator / filter" units just suck.
That's probably true. We've been having some "smoke out" issues with our oven, and even with the microwave hood on high, it doesn't do the trick. It's just something I've been noticing in some of the houses we're going through. I don't like the idea of losing counter space or a drawer, but I'm sure they have small enough microwaves to do what we need.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Working backwards through Robbie's improvements and the other kitchen remodels:

Is it a "thing" these days to not have an over-range microwave on remodels? The new house doesn't, so previous owner had a small countertop microwave. My mom has an in-drawer microwave. I've always had the over-range "space saver" models because they made sense, but the new house has an exhaust hood over the range that looks nice. Just seems like a waste of counter space to put a microwave there, yet it's something we definitely want/need in the kitchen.
I have always preferred a countertop microwave, because it is easier to replace if it breaks, or to upgrade when one desires new features. But then, I have enough counter space for it. If someone wanted more counter space, I suppose one could install one of those coffeemakers that are mounted underneath kitchen cabinets. I haven't seen a microwave cart in years but some people have them.

When I bought my present home, the prior owner included a beautiful, new, very expensive countertop microwave. I suppose she was concerned because there was no over-the-stove microwave. I already had my own. After the sale was complete and I had moved in, I gave the one that came with the house, to Frank.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote