Home Improvement

New fence gate;

40549540584_011b79282c_o.jpg

This I did myself with the help of this hardware kit, just add 2x4's and fence boards. The diagonal cable and turnbuckle adjusts for the dreaded "gate sag" and this should swing free for life.

41219971192_3d2e366d49_o.jpg

Instructions said should take an hour, Ha, took me all day. But the gate works really smooth and easy, no more lifting it up to open and close and sanding wood off every year just to be able to do that.

Wouldn't the steel frame be enough, so that you do not need the diagonal cable?

New fence gate;

This I did myself with the help of this hardware kit, just add 2x4's and fence boards. The diagonal cable and turnbuckle adjusts for the dreaded "gate sag" and this should swing free for life.

Instructions said should take an hour, Ha, took me all day. But the gate works really smooth and easy, no more lifting it up to open and close and sanding wood off every year just to be able to do that.

Nice, I didn't know that a frame like that existed. I have to replace a wood gate at DW's house soon.

New fence gate;

I used the same kit and dog eared fencing about 6 years ago. Still swings free. Took me and SIL about an hour for the hard ware and me alone another hour for the fencing.
Great cheap investment!

I'm so good at gates I did another one;

41461138101_6ba2e885cb_o.jpg

Finished up the porch gate;

39737402920_746775f75b_o.jpg

Added the vertical boards, capped the right side board, cut off the too tall gate posts and made them follow the arch and stained the works redwood. Redwood stained redwood - :)

Ordered a new door today that will replace our front entry door on our Jersey Shore home to better match the craftsman style. The old door is delaminating and is not even close to matching the craftsman look.

Jersey shore? I love the Jersey shore!

My Ma is from there and we went often when I was a kid. Atlantic ocean on one side and the Barnegat Bay on the other. Just a sandbar a quarter mile wide.

Yeah the salt air takes it's toll.

Just completed plans for our kitchen redo and hardwood floor project. About 1500 sf hardwood, new cabinets, counters and appliances. Everything is 24 years old. Having problems with the current cooktop - only 2 burners work and parts are no longer available. Fridge is having issues. Tile floor is cracking. It's time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.54.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.54.37 AM.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
RobbieB, Just saw the 2 gates you installed, nice job. I've never seen that steel frame and turn buckle. Does that whole thing come as one kit?

Now that the snow is (almost) gone, the outside project is to replace the alley retaining wall that the guys pretty much destroyed last year when they brought the machinery in to do the new patio.

Inside project is to paint the sunroom and get new window treatments.

Our backyard transformation from April 1996 to April 2018.

We got our backyard retirement ready (low maintenance/low irrigation) and a nice place to relax and entertain.

1- removed all sod replaced with decorative gravel and drip irrigation
2- removed wood fence and installed block wall
3- installed pool and hardscaping
4- installed BBQ island and patio cover
5- removed extra trees
6- constructed vegetable planter boxes with automatic irrigation
7- installed LED lighting
8- Planted flowers shrubs throughout
9- installed herb garden

We did the design ourselves. With the exception of the pool, decking, and block-wall, we did the work ourselves.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3732.jpg
    IMG_3732.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5649.jpg
    IMG_5649.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5652.jpg
    IMG_5652.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 81
Wouldn't the steel frame be enough, so that you do not need the diagonal cable?

I have an old version of that set up, and even with the cable mine has twisted and doesn't swing free any more. Of course, it was working fine before it went through Hurricane Irma last year. I jury rigged it to work (sorta kinda), but it looks pretty funky. No pictures included. Next winter I've got fence work on my to do list, so I'll be replacing the gate. I'll likely use the same set up again. The gate on the other side of the house came through the storm completely fine.

The steel frame is loose, it has a center member that just floats in the upright channels. The thing is made rigid by screwing into the 2x4's. As wood slowly rots the screws will eventually loosen and the gate will sag. Pulling up the sagging end with the cable fixes this.

We got our backyard retirement ready (low maintenance/low irrigation) and a nice place to relax and entertain.

5- removed extra trees

9- installed herb garden

We did the design ourselves. With the exception of the pool, decking, and block-wall, we did the work ourselves.

Very nice!

5- removed extra trees
9- installed herb garden

You now live in DH’s dream house—gorgeous!!!!

Just completed plans for our kitchen redo and hardwood floor project. About 1500 sf hardwood, new cabinets, counters and appliances. Everything is 24 years old. Having problems with the current cooktop - only 2 burners work and parts are no longer available. Fridge is having issues. Tile floor is cracking. It's time.
Who made the plan? You? What software did you use? I am planning a big interior re-design project next year.

Who made the plan? You? What software did you use? I am planning a big interior re-design project next year.

I made the plan in sketchup. Free and a lot on youtube help videos. Does 3d rendering also. You can get addons to put in appliances, cabinets, furniture, but I just roughed it out to see what it would look like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 48
Yesterday we watched paint dry for fun—color samples, for the outside of our house, darkened as they dried. DH wants to change it up a bit, I want to keep it the same. Pretty sure we both know who’s going to win this battle—because if Mama ain’t happy....

I made the plan in sketchup. Free and a lot on youtube help videos. Does 3d rendering also. You can get addons to put in appliances, cabinets, furniture, but I just roughed it out to see what it would look like.
I have used sketch up so this should work for me.

Jersey shore? I love the Jersey shore!

My Ma is from there and we went often when I was a kid. Atlantic ocean on one side and the Barnegat Bay on the other. Just a sandbar a quarter mile wide.

Yeah the salt air takes it's toll.

We’re in North Wildwood two blocks from the boardwalk and beach. They’re working on a major construction project on the pier just down the street to include new restaurants, a swim club with public pool, and some fun things for kids and us older folk. Supposed to be done by Memorial Day but I have my doubts.

5- removed extra trees
9- installed herb garden

Oh, that is wonderful!

The number one wish list item I have for our next house is an outdoor living area/kitchen in the pool area. :D We just have a small covered patio where we are now and I wish it was bigger. We both love being outside but our current house doesn't lend to much outdoor fun/relaxing.

I also miss the pool we had at our other house. I miss looking out over the water.....

Back
Top Bottom