Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Yes that is my thought also. I will install two white vinyl posts on either side of step with lights on top is in my plan. A rail around would be nice but to keep it sturdy is my dilemma.
I used these to put a rail round my porch. They are aluminum, so they are sturdy and there's no maintenance to speak of, and they were very simple to cut and fit to the size I needed. Available in black or white, $120 for either a 6' "level" or "stair" panel, posts are $44 each (plus brackets, etc). I think they look quite good.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

^ thanks and that is an idea. In fact all the material in the porch/step in from Menards and will be going back in about a month and will look the product up.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes that is my thought also. I will install two white vinyl posts on either side of step with lights on top is in my plan. A rail around would be nice but to keep it sturdy is my dilemma.
That sounds great! And if it is possible to add samclem's railing, that would be nice too. Either way would give you something extremely sturdy for people to hang on to. I like your idea of lights, which would provide even more safety.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ thanks and that is an idea. In fact all the material in the porch/step in from Menards and will be going back in about a month and will look the product up.
It is a special order item at my Menards, but the store has a panel on display so you can see/touch what you'd be getting. The panels go on sale a couple times per year for about $99, or you can just buy what you need during one of their frequent 11 percent rebate sales (store credit for 11 percent back). The base bracket could be lag screwed right into your wood decking, a trim bezel covers everything. Good luck!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if it's home improvement or blow that dough but:

We've been doing some projects. DW said get a hammock; we'll both use it; it's for two people. Well after I worked for an hour and half assembling, guess who's sleeping?

Our driveway was gravel and a PIA when I had to snowblow (hopefully much more snow blowing next year). I'm still not sure about the job. They laid too much asphalt and are supposed to come back and remove the last 8' next to the county road. We will see if they show.

I talked to the HOA and the county about what still needs done. They were very nice, but made it clear it's my problem. Worse case, I'll hire the removal of the offending 8' of asphalt next to the road. The county road guy says they all know the setback laws but pave out to the end, adding a hundred+ square feet to the estimate. I need to get it taken care of. The neighborhood spy has already been snooping around. She's a retired FBI person and just can't help herself. [emoji6]20180614_151338.jpeg20180613_184142.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm just made a little discovery.

I've fixed (with Bondo) a few smaller rot problems, but I'm window shopping now. And I don't mean looking without buying.
Following up over here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2071466
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Fridge in kitchen complete;

Next up popcorn ceiling removal, painting and new flooring -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Are you doing the popcorn ceiling removal yourself? I did in our last house- slow, messy work but I did it during the winters over a couple of years. Evil stuff.

My two latest improvements: just had a "smart sprinkler" control added to my existing sprinkler system. I can run it from my phone and it's calculated optimal sprinkling times now that I've input the characteristics (slope, vegetation, soil type, extent of sun/shade) in each zone. The second is about to start: plantation shutters in a set of windows in the kitchen- right now that side gets a lot of sun and it's a couple of degrees warmer in the kitchen because of the sun load. From Costco, of course.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Ceiling work - removal, retexture and paint will be done by pros. Thirty eight hundred bucks for the whole house about 1200 sq-ft which is minus the kitchen and bathrooms.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ceiling work - removal, retexture and paint will be done by pros. Thirty eight hundred bucks for the whole house about 1200 sq-ft which is minus the kitchen and bathrooms.
That is a fantastic price.

Did mine myself and threw out my back. Paint alone cost a few hundred. But it looks great!

Robbie, it is water over the dam for you, but for others, I suggest they do the popcorn first. It is so messy, even despite their dust shields and stuff. Just a suggestion, not a requirement.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which is why I go out and buy myself a nice bauble every time I finish a major job- which has included tiling, popcorn ceiling removal and wallpaper removal. I still come out ahead.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

I'm installing (DIY) a security screen door as we speak. One of these from Home Depot.

I rented their truck for $19 to drive it home -

But the big jobs are not for me anymore. The little construction and installation I like but not the serious stuff.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fridge in kitchen complete;

Nice fridge!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm installing (DIY) a security screen door as we speak. One of these from Home Depot.

But the big jobs are not for me anymore. The little construction and installation I like but not the serious stuff.
Now I see. Yeah, we do the same thing (a Home Depot truck)
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I just got home from our lake house where I am digging 120 feet of footings with a jackhammer, pick and shovel. Building a 4 car garage is my last big project in retirement. Next up, getting my concrete mixer up and running.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Makes me ache just thinking about it. Good for you!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think you'll like this improvement. I was shocked by how much better things looked when I had popcorn removed. The house looked brighter and the ceiling seemed higher without all the shadows.

I remember as a kid in the 60's going to friends' of my parents newly remodeled house. They'd had popcorn sprayed onto their ceilings, with sparkles in it! That, and the new grass green shag carpet, made a perfect back drop for us kids to lie on our stomaches on the floor watching Star Trek.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

The painter gave us a good idea too, instead of going pure white flat paint put a wee sheen on it like egg shell, just one sheen above flat. Said makes look larger and easier to clean.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #179
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before we sold our house in Houston , we were told by the real estate broker to paint the interior a Sherwin Williams color that was a grey eggshell color. We found a painter an old hippie type guy but a good painter . He told us to go to HD and use Behr paint from HD . The paint was cheaper and the painter explained easier to apply . We paid .50 per foot plus we supplied all paint , No woodwork . He rolled it , no sprayer took him 4 days for all work . He also did some sheetrock repair.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, greys are all the rage right now. Neither of us like them so we're going with earthtones.