Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RobbieB, Just saw the 2 gates you installed, nice job. I've never seen that steel frame and turn buckle. Does that whole thing come as one kit?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #62

Now that the snow is (almost) gone, the outside project is to replace the alley retaining wall that the guys pretty much destroyed last year when they brought the machinery in to do the new patio.

Inside project is to paint the sunroom and get new window treatments.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #63

Our backyard transformation from April 1996 to April 2018.

We got our backyard retirement ready (low maintenance/low irrigation) and a nice place to relax and entertain.

1- removed all sod replaced with decorative gravel and drip irrigation
2- removed wood fence and installed block wall
3- installed pool and hardscaping
4- installed BBQ island and patio cover
5- removed extra trees
6- constructed vegetable planter boxes with automatic irrigation
7- installed LED lighting
8- Planted flowers shrubs throughout
9- installed herb garden

We did the design ourselves. With the exception of the pool, decking, and block-wall, we did the work ourselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3712.jpg (842.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3715.jpg (796.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3732.jpg (635.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5638.jpg (726.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5642.jpg (469.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5649.jpg (567.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5652.jpg (592.5 KB, 81 views)
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
RobbieB, Just saw the 2 gates you installed, nice job. I've never seen that steel frame and turn buckle. Does that whole thing come as one kit?
You can find the kits at Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wouldn't the steel frame be enough, so that you do not need the diagonal cable?
I have an old version of that set up, and even with the cable mine has twisted and doesn't swing free any more. Of course, it was working fine before it went through Hurricane Irma last year. I jury rigged it to work (sorta kinda), but it looks pretty funky. No pictures included. Next winter I've got fence work on my to do list, so I'll be replacing the gate. I'll likely use the same set up again. The gate on the other side of the house came through the storm completely fine.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The steel frame is loose, it has a center member that just floats in the upright channels. The thing is made rigid by screwing into the 2x4's. As wood slowly rots the screws will eventually loosen and the gate will sag. Pulling up the sagging end with the cable fixes this.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

We got our backyard retirement ready (low maintenance/low irrigation) and a nice place to relax and entertain.

5- removed extra trees

9- installed herb garden

We did the design ourselves. With the exception of the pool, decking, and block-wall, we did the work ourselves.

Very nice!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:57 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

5- removed extra trees
9- installed herb garden

You now live in DH’s dream house—gorgeous!!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:01 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Just completed plans for our kitchen redo and hardwood floor project. About 1500 sf hardwood, new cabinets, counters and appliances. Everything is 24 years old. Having problems with the current cooktop - only 2 burners work and parts are no longer available. Fridge is having issues. Tile floor is cracking. It's time.
Who made the plan? You? What software did you use? I am planning a big interior re-design project next year.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Who made the plan? You? What software did you use? I am planning a big interior re-design project next year.
I made the plan in sketchup. Free and a lot on youtube help videos. Does 3d rendering also. You can get addons to put in appliances, cabinets, furniture, but I just roughed it out to see what it would look like.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 7.21.23 AM.png (67.7 KB, 48 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday we watched paint dry for fun—color samples, for the outside of our house, darkened as they dried. DH wants to change it up a bit, I want to keep it the same. Pretty sure we both know who’s going to win this battle—because if Mama ain’t happy....
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I made the plan in sketchup. Free and a lot on youtube help videos. Does 3d rendering also. You can get addons to put in appliances, cabinets, furniture, but I just roughed it out to see what it would look like.
I have used sketch up so this should work for me.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You now live in DH’s dream house—gorgeous!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Very nice!
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Jersey shore? I love the Jersey shore!

My Ma is from there and we went often when I was a kid. Atlantic ocean on one side and the Barnegat Bay on the other. Just a sandbar a quarter mile wide.

Yeah the salt air takes it's toll.

We’re in North Wildwood two blocks from the boardwalk and beach. They’re working on a major construction project on the pier just down the street to include new restaurants, a swim club with public pool, and some fun things for kids and us older folk. Supposed to be done by Memorial Day but I have my doubts.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

5- removed extra trees
9- installed herb garden

Oh, that is wonderful!

The number one wish list item I have for our next house is an outdoor living area/kitchen in the pool area. We just have a small covered patio where we are now and I wish it was bigger. We both love being outside but our current house doesn't lend to much outdoor fun/relaxing.

I also miss the pool we had at our other house. I miss looking out over the water.....
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I went backwards through this thread and now that I've seen everyone's projects, I'm itching to get out and do something! Everyone's photos look great and I'm particularly in love with the outdoor living ones. I guess I still have winter cabin fever.... we went right from winter into a strange monsoon spring and are just now getting decent weather.

We have a few projects to do but are at the mercy of Mother Nature. We need a bunch of sod but with all the rain we've had, no one is cutting yet, so we don't even have a possible timeline. We can't do our other projects until we get (most of) the sod down so we're in a holding pattern.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I'm redoing the shelves / clothes rods / supports in the walk in closet. Was cheap particle board that I repaired after the huge weight load of my wife's clothes caused it to fail. They don't make the original supports anymore so I have 3 new braces, 2 plastic coated wood rods, 3/4" thick solid pine shelf boards and I'm going to laminate aromatic cedar plywood on top the pine.

Pics after job done -
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have an old version of that set up, and even with the cable mine has twisted and doesn't swing free any more. Of course, it was working fine before it went through Hurricane Irma last year. I jury rigged it to work (sorta kinda), but it looks pretty funky. No pictures included. Next winter I've got fence work on my to do list, so I'll be replacing the gate. I'll likely use the same set up again. The gate on the other side of the house came through the storm completely fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The steel frame is loose, it has a center member that just floats in the upright channels. The thing is made rigid by screwing into the 2x4's. As wood slowly rots the screws will eventually loosen and the gate will sag. Pulling up the sagging end with the cable fixes this.
Around here, the commonly used steel-frame gate is the following. It's a welded frame of 4'x6', and people usually fill in the gaps between vertical bars with cedar planks. See the holes in the horizontal slats that are predrilled for that purpose.

If it does not fit in between the cinder block columns you are out-of-luck, as that's the only size.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

That looks pretty rigid to me.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
Oh, that is wonderful!

The number one wish list item I have for our next house is an outdoor living area/kitchen in the pool area. We just have a small covered patio where we are now and I wish it was bigger. We both love being outside but our current house doesn't lend to much outdoor fun/relaxing.

I also miss the pool we had at our other house. I miss looking out over the water.....
Thanks for the feedback. It's a salt water pool so I don't have to worry about adding too many chemicals. I usually start my day outside with my laptop and watch the financial news on TV. We use the outdoor kitchen a lot. The pool and spa is nice after a long bike ride or at night under the stars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5653.jpg (529.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5654.jpg (515.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5668.jpg (402.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5672.jpg (476.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5682.jpg (469.2 KB, 50 views)