Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Home Owners Association Do-gooders (Rant)
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
There we usually had at least 5 table of 6 to 7 players.
That makes the situation a little easier to understand. I thought you were talking about one table, five or six guys, playing poker over in the corner of the clubhouse and I was wondering how you even got noticed by the anti-gambling folks. 30 or 35 guys would draw a little more attention, especially with money on the table.

Here in Illinois your poker night would also be illegal. Here, the Catholic church gets past that by getting fund raising permits for their many bingo nights, Vegas nights, etc., over at the parish. They get temporary licenses to sell booze by the drink as well. Might that work for you? Could you run your evening to benefit a local charity, say the Fraternal Order of Police?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
As long as you have a 1970's era Cadillac convertible with the horns on the hood, we can let this little transgression slip...
OT: When I moved to Texas in the mid-90's, I was passed by a white car with big longhorns on the hood. I don't remember the make, but it was angular like an 80's Cadillac. As it passed, I noticed the giant badge on the passenger door. It was the county sheriff!

That was the moment I realized I'd actually moved to Texas, and things really were different here.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC
That was the moment I realized I'd actually moved to Texas, and things really were different here.
Yep...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #44

Texas was an interesting place. I was surprised to hear that my GF's house had an HOA (in Sugarland) since I thought that they were viewed on the same level as unions and the Communist Internationale.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

We hate, hate, hate HOA's also. Our experience is that the violators get away with whatever they want to, and those who try to follow the rules get screwed. In our last development, 1/4 acre lots or smaller, our next door neighbor put up a HUGE swingset on the edge of his property line, about 10 feet from our screened-in-porch-sanctuary. Never mind that there was plenty of room to put it centered on his lot, or further back. He didn't want to ruin the view out of his back windows! So as we were putting in a request for a modification for something else, we also said that we were going to put up 4 leyland cypresses, to screen the view of the swingset. WE WERE DENIED!!! Said the leylands would ruin the "open view" of the yards. What about the stinkin' huge swingset? Helloooo And, by the way, the neighbor didn't even request permission for the swingset.

Grumpy - I always thought that an over-55 community HOA wouldn't be so bad - no swingset or basketball hoop problems. But DH thinks we'd still have problems with people erecting such things for their grandchildren. Can this happen? One of the reasons I'd want to live in an over-55 place would be to have relative quiet, away from the kids all the time. Does it work??

Anyway, I think the poker game issue is ridiculous. You're not hurting anyone! And my friends consider me a Bible-thumper.

CJ

Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm on the board of a HOA in a rural subdivision (lot size from 3 to 10 acres). The developer disappeared after most of the lots were sold and no restrictions were enforced for almost 5 years. Now that we have an active HOA, we are having a devil of a time getting people to comply with the most basic restrictions.

An example: I just got through drafting a letter to a homeowner who, even thought the restrictions clearly state you cannot keep livestock on your property, has two cows! Her response to our request she get rid of them: "I'll comply with the restrictions after everyone else does." Sheesh....
Can you make the case that not complying with the rules is costing money when people go to sell?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Can you make the case that not complying with the rules is costing money when people go to sell?
Yes, we've attempted to show them how their non-compliance is hurting the property values in the subdivision and how it would be in their best interest to follow the rules. Problem is, we're dealing with a single woman in her 50's with a live in boyfriend who is apparently calling the shots (when they aren't screaming at each other). In addition to the livestock, they've also violated restrictions when they built a fence around their property and constructed a separate two car garage. The fence is barbed wire (a no-no) and the garage isn't side entry as required. They have been sent copies of the restrictions multiple times and attended the initial HOA meeting where an attorney discussed the restrictions. They completely ignored both the restrictions and the requirement to have any and all construction approved by the HOA in advance.

The HOA board is wrestling with whether we should try to work with them to reach some sort of compromise (no compromise on getting rid of the cows) or take them to task to set an example for others in the neighborhood.

The whole thing is reminding me of why I wanted to ER from the working world, and making me ask myself why the heck I agreed to serve on the HOA board.

Can you say 'resignation'?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #48

Just reading this thread makes my stomach hurt. Now you know why I vow to NEVER again live in an HOA community!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ooooo - HOAs - yuck! Over 55 is probably worse - too many people with too much time who have control issues - yikes! I have HOA bad stories, too, and will avoid them like the plague.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #50

oooo - HOAs -yuck. Over 55 is worse as they have too much time to exercise too much control. Have my own bad story such that I will avoid HOAs like the plague.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Just reading this thread makes my stomach hurt. Now you know why I vow to NEVER again live in an HOA community!!!

Well... HOAs are good here in Houston.. mostly... Houston is NOT zoned... so if you live in a neighborhood that does not have an HOA, the neighbor can open thier house and start up a daycare... what is it like having 20 kids run around??

And, there is one neighborhood where they bought up a few properties and opened a garbage transfer site.... the regular garbage trucks dump their load and put it in a bigger truck for transport... don't know if it is still there as this was many years ago....

And in Bellaire, they put up some high rise housing in a single family neighborhood...

But, as said... if there is someone on a power trip, they can be bad...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Grumpy - I always thought that an over-55 community HOA wouldn't be so bad - no swingset or basketball hoop problems. But DH thinks we'd still have problems with people erecting such things for their grandchildren. Can this happen? One of the reasons I'd want to live in an over-55 place would be to have relative quiet, away from the kids all the time. Does it work??

Anyway, I think the poker game issue is ridiculous. You're not hurting anyone! And my friends consider me a Bible-thumper.
cj,

Yes, that part is working pretty well. The HOA modifications committee is pretty rigorous in enforcing the architectural standards in an even handed way. There are very few children seen in the community, just the occasional visiting grandchild.

Regarding poker, the issue seems to be resolved. We got an email from our county Supervisor that said:
"Supervisor xxxxxx had a conference call a short while ago with the Commonwealth Attorney and Chief xxxxx, the end result of that call is that they see absolutely no problem with you playing any of the games you mentioned. These activities are recreational and for small amounts of money. Supervisor xxxxx is calling the manager of (our community) to let them know. Please pass the information along to your neighbors.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions."

It is nice to see a responsive politician for a change.

Grumpy

Old 03-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
It is nice to see a responsive politician for a change.
That is awesome.! Someone took the time to write an actual letter that cleared up the matter, seems like you don't find that very often these days.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #54

The land that we own in Colorado has an HOA. They seem pretty even handed. The two cases that they have gone ahead with were someone who parked a beatup RV on their property instead of building a house (spelled out in the covenants). The second was when they sued a couple who put up a monsterous garage on without a house. I got the impression that the couple was trying to live in the garage as well as run a business from it (against the rules).

On the other hand, cows are allowed. The property is zoned as agricultural and we get enough money from the rancher to cover our property taxes.

Of course, we haven't started building yet so our opinions may change.