Once a week or less 7 5.88%
2-3 times a week 17 14.29%
4 times a week 19 15.97%
5-6 times a week 37 31.09%
Once a day or more 39 32.77%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I said I left the house six day a week, but I probably lied. We try to get out every day, maybe for breakfast or maybe for lunch. There are so many days when you might be stuck in the house so I don't stay home just to stay home. Most days when we go out it's to the grocery store just to pick up a few things, have a coffee and donut or maybe a sandwich. Really, a pretty dull life but it's life. Enjoy it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
gone traveling

DW is retired, not me, but, when I can come home at 5pm and she's still in her bathrobe, on the couch watching the last of the soaps and eating bon bons then greets me with, "Is it 5 o'clock already?!" I think she might be a homebody.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Normally golf 2-3 times a week and run occasional errands.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #24

Not retired yet but DW & I will probably venture out once or twice a week by ourselves, and a couple times together, when we finally pull the trigger.

R
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #25

Ms G had to go out of town unexpectedly, just the day before our twice a month grocery trip. She was gone for 2 weeks I never left the homestead, except to walk our dogs around our section. Can't say I missed a thing, except I was running out of adult beverages and snacks.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The "driving out for coffee" thing is a strange concept for me. I guess that makes me a homebody. We have a starbucks and an IHOP and ample other coffee places at the end of the block that we can drive to in 1 minute or walk to in 5-8 minutes. But I would never do that instead of throwing some grounds in the coffee maker and brewing it fresh. Much more convenient than driving down the road and back for a cup of coffee.

For the "going out for coffee" people, is it just getting out of the house? Social? Habit? Convenience? Lack of coffee maker or coffee supplies at home?

I'm not trying to attack or criticize the folks who do this (because I understand that it is common), just trying to get some insight!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Not FIREd yet...

I get out and putz around, maybe a Starbucks/B&N run, or Half-Price Books. Like to walk or bike ride. Been going out with a meet-up group once or twice a week, to meet "people", though I find that taxing on my system...

Am fine staying home, or close to it, much of the time, and find that my tolerance level for most things these days is about two hours. Have even left a couple of concerts early, because I grew fatigued with the noise and crowd. Plus, makes it easy to avoid the traffic jam at the end...

Not anti-social, but prefer small groups and small venues. Hate clubs; did enough clubbing in my day for two people...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get out 5-6 days per week. DW is happy to stay home for days at a time. Now that we are empty nesters she is getting out more with me and without. So, we have entered a new chapter....man, the house is quiet and there's food in the fridge!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised at how many people are homebodies. I didn't vote as I am not ER. My w*rk has always taken me out and continues to involve a lot of travel. However I am currently doing my office w*rk from my home office. This has changed my habits somewhat. Some days I do not need to leave home even when w*rking. That's OK for a while but I do get cabin fever. As for going out for coffee or lunch, I will sometimes do that to break up the day. Since I started w*rking from a home office, I have noticed that I waste far less fresh food, as I eat at home. Saves gas too! I had one week of vacation this summer and mostly stayed home. I have a feeling that when I ER I may turn out to be a homebody.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am surprised at how many people are homebodies.
I would guess there is a correlation between the ER type and the homebody type of person in general.

The non-homebody, as in someone who must constantly go out and do something, usually says "I'm bored, let's go [insert activity here that costs money]". Dinner, recreational shopping, bar, concert, drive around, movies, etc.

Even the simple act of driving around costs money (gas, tolls, parking, car depreciation, wear and tear on car, miniscule chance of an accident and related repair costs and increased insurance, etc).

In contrast, the homebody usually says "I'm bored, I'm going to [insert activity that is usually free or almost free]". Read a book, surf on the net, reallocate my investments, update my ER spreadsheets, watch tv, play a game, clean the house, work in the yard, do arts and crafts, work on my hobby, etc.

Anecdotally, it seems the homebodies I know are usually more savvy with money, whereas the constantly on the run types never seem to have enough paycheck to go along with their month.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #31

My wife is on the go a lot more than I am. The older I get, the less I need to "go somewhere" to "do something" that occupies my time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted 2-3 times per week, most often in to the small town near by to check our Post Office box. If it wasn't for the mailbox, would probably go out only once per week or so.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My wife is on the go a lot more than I am. The older I get, the less I need to "go somewhere" to "do something" that occupies my time.
Same here.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I voted 2-3 times per week, most often in to the small town near by to check our Post Office box. If it wasn't for the mailbox, would probably go out only once per week or so.
Ha, Ha, Ha, I haven't been to my "official" Post Office, in such a long time. Progressive Auto insurance has a snap shot program, plug it into your truck and a box monitors your driving habit's. Well its cell based sending info to their computer and Progressive now thinks I live at the PO and never drive.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The "driving out for coffee" thing is a strange concept for me. I guess that makes me a homebody. We have a starbucks and an IHOP and ample other coffee places at the end of the block that we can drive to in 1 minute or walk to in 5-8 minutes. But I would never do that instead of throwing some grounds in the coffee maker and brewing it fresh. Much more convenient than driving down the road and back for a cup of coffee.

For the "going out for coffee" people, is it just getting out of the house? Social? Habit? Convenience? Lack of coffee maker or coffee supplies at home?

I'm not trying to attack or criticize the folks who do this (because I understand that it is common), just trying to get some insight!
Old habits are hard to break. I've been doing coffee runs since about my sophomore year in high school, oh so many years ago. Since the beginning, it's always been a social thing...getting together with friends to visit and shoot the bull. But here of late, I have much less desire for the 'social' aspect of it, and just take the ride to grab a cup for the convenience of it.

By convenience I mean, I don't have to dirty a coffee pot or a cup for just a single cup of joe. I've got a fairly decent coffee maker sitting on the kitchen counter, and enough ceramic coffee cups to outfit a small army. I always have some Folgers sealed tight in the freezer for those rare occasions when I feel like brewing my own. Sure, I could buy one those fancy 'single cup' contraptions....I've even pondered it more than a few times. But thus far, I haven't convinced myself that it's worth it.

And besides, the two cars need to run once in a while to keep their batteries charged up, so I drive the Kia one trip and the Chevy the next. In fact that's about all the Kia gets used for besides an occasion grocery run......2004 Kia with 7,300 miles on it.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I voted 5-6 times a week.

I like to spend the AMs doing house stuff while Mr B goes for coffee at the local Legion with the guys. Once in a while, I will join him. While home, I watch the Weather Channel or play music. I leave myself little notes on the kitchen counter for short term TTD (things to do). I get at least 1 done per day. I may chat online at yahoo if I see one of my friends there.
I play with my container garden, either outside or roll a planter inside the enclosed porch. I wash and fold laundry, or fill/empty the dishwasher.
Around 10 AM, I grab a shower. Or maybe noon...la de da...

Mr B is the jet propelled one in the house. I elected him Social Director. If we need to be somewhere to volunteer or attend a function that day, he lets me know. If I don't feel like volunteering, I send him solo and then show up later for cleanup.

I do get out every afternoon, except if the weather is really crappy. If he has studying or classes, I go downtown solo to run errands and then stop for a brewski at the Legion or VFW. I stay for a little while if the crowd is interesting. If Mr B will be meeting me later, it is not uncommon for me to bring a book or several magazines and read them at the bar until someone fun comes in.

I have been taking 1-2 day road trips up north to Lake Ontario to visit friends. I will miss that when the lake effect snow monster arrives.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

In answer to FUEGO's question (since I'm one of the "driving out for coffee people") I do it 'cause I like to.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #38

I go to the post office to pick up my mail on Monday and Thursday. I go grocery shopping on Friday for what's on sale. If not for that I'd go out 2 times a month. Like it this way.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a homebody more than a gadder. I do get out for a walk everyday and go into town a couple of times a week to run errands. If I'd go (5) days without getting in the car, I don't think it would bother me.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO

The reason I go out and get coffee often, is it just simply tastes better. I get out 2x a week. If it was next door, I would go get it everyday. Maybe I need a more sophisticated coffee maker. It seems like coffee anywhere is better than what my coffee maker makes. Although it is not so bad that I wont drink it.