Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Homeowner Association Fee Survey
Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used to own a 2 BR 2.5 BA 1200 sf condo in Chapel Hill NC. Dues were $130/month. Not a bad deal though, since they paid for water, sewer, trash, most of the insurance, yard maintenance, parking lot maintenance, pool/basketball/tennis court maintenance, clubhouse maintenance, and exterior maintenance.

Small reserves, most large improvement or maintenance items were handled through "special assessments" ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars each (new siding, new roof, large scale regrading/drainage, painting/repairing decks and porches, etc).

Overall, great value for the money. Water/sewer/trash would have been ~$40/month. Insurance would have been another $20-25.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #22

1050 Sq ft 2 bedroom Condo in Chicago's northern suburbs. ~400 units mostly condos with about 40 townhomes.

Indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, volleyball, big ponds, and very nice landscaping.

My monthly HOA pmt is $290 and my PPT taxes are $500

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #23

$207 going to $230 a month next year. 80 Units in 20 Buildings. About 2,800 SF finished including basement rec room. Covers Water, Sewer, Trash Service, Lawn and Irrigation, Snow Removal, most of the Insurance, outside maintenance and a RESERVE fund for future expenses. Development is new (Built in 2001-2005 in phases). Central Ohio. No pool (public pool 1 mile) and no club house (public golf course 1/2 mile away).
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

$38. a month- approx. 600 single family homes. The majority of the dues goes to pay management company who oversees everything for us- we have 4 parks and alot of common area landscaping.
Momtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #25

Western Minneapolis Suburb

2br - 3600 Sq. Ft.
$300 per month HOA Fees

Have $100 Grand in the bank for future exterior maint costs.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #26

$380/month for ~1000 square foot condo in SF Bay Area (market price approx 600k). 400 plus units in complex, includes hot and cold water, garbage, landscaping, maintenance of building up to the drywall. Actually a reasonable deal I think, even though it's one of the highest rates posted here. Many people figure on 1% of a home's value per annum for maintenance, which would be $6k in my case, so these HOA dues, covering most routine maintenance items, are still less.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
$380/month for ~1000 square foot condo in SF Bay Area (market price approx 600k). 400 plus units in complex, includes hot and cold water, garbage, landscaping, maintenance of building up to the drywall. Actually a reasonable deal I think, even though it's one of the highest rates posted here. Many people figure on 1% of a home's value per annum for maintenance, which would be $6k in my case, so these HOA dues, covering most routine maintenance items, are still less.
This is really interesting. I pay $210 per month which includes all of the
above plus pool and tennis courts. Condo is also 1000 SF.
Excellent area, lake view, golf, marina, fine dining in walking distance.
Market value? Maybe 60K.

JG
Old 10-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My brother will be shopping for a condo next year when he hopes a flood of new upscale units and panicked 'investors' will depress the price the existing ones. So, I have started to drill down on association reserves for maintance. The state requires that each association conduct a study and estimate the life cycle and replacement (major repairs) and fund that expense in the monthly HOA fees.

Associations with extensive grounds maintance and swimming pools will have higher fees. At first glance a really old (almost historic) building seems relatively high, but that may be because it has steam heat boiler system and that is included in the fee. You really need to map out the details to accurately compare.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

$275/month for 2200 square foot townhouse (3 story, 3 bedroom, with a large loft which works as a 4th bedroom) in SF Bay Area (market price approx 650k). Includes garbage, landscaping, maintenance of exterior building.
johnbb is offline   Reply With Quote