Homeowner Association Fee Survey

$380/month for ~1000 square foot condo in SF Bay Area (market price approx 600k). 400 plus units in complex, includes hot and cold water, garbage, landscaping, maintenance of building up to the drywall. Actually a reasonable deal I think, even though it's one of the highest rates posted here. Many people figure on 1% of a home's value per annum for maintenance, which would be $6k in my case, so these HOA dues, covering most routine maintenance items, are still less.

free4now said:
$380/month for ~1000 square foot condo in SF Bay Area (market price approx 600k). 400 plus units in complex, includes hot and cold water, garbage, landscaping, maintenance of building up to the drywall. Actually a reasonable deal I think, even though it's one of the highest rates posted here. Many people figure on 1% of a home's value per annum for maintenance, which would be $6k in my case, so these HOA dues, covering most routine maintenance items, are still less.

This is really interesting. I pay $210 per month which includes all of the
above plus pool and tennis courts. Condo is also 1000 SF.
Excellent area, lake view, golf, marina, fine dining in walking distance.
Market value? Maybe 60K.

JG

My brother will be shopping for a condo next year when he hopes a flood of new upscale units and panicked 'investors' will depress the price the existing ones. So, I have started to drill down on association reserves for maintance. The state requires that each association conduct a study and estimate the life cycle and replacement (major repairs) and fund that expense in the monthly HOA fees.

Associations with extensive grounds maintance and swimming pools will have higher fees. At first glance a really old (almost historic) building seems relatively high, but that may be because it has steam heat boiler system and that is included in the fee. You really need to map out the details to accurately compare.

$275/month for 2200 square foot townhouse (3 story, 3 bedroom, with a large loft which works as a 4th bedroom) in SF Bay Area (market price approx 650k). Includes garbage, landscaping, maintenance of exterior building.

Back
Top Bottom