Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How come every article in the media always stresses how bad retirement is and that everyone needs to work until they drop?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course nobody on this board will be bored with retirement.You wouldn't be here if you didn't have a zest for life outside your job. But there's definitely people out there who ARE their job. They really have nothing else. If you have no outside interests, hobbies, etc, you could definitely be bored in retirement.
I could never be bored in retirement. Especially as I get older I take pleasure in many simple things, walking the dog, reading the paper on the deck with a cup of coffee, etc. Stuff I would've found boring years ago. Plus all the activities I still enjoy like golf, hiking, travel, etc.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #23

Lemme try ..

Stage 0, realization: in your early twenties, realize the structure of normal working life doesn't suit you, and being forced to do something you don't want for >60% of your waking hours isn't how you want to live life.

Stage 1, preparation: Get a well paying job, save 50%+ of your income. Reach FI within 20 years.

Stage 2, celebration: Decide to celebrate by spending three weeks with your closest family and friends. Don't throw a hollow party or spend foolishly. Life isn't about what you buy.

Stage 3, honeymoon: Enjoy the temporary euphoric feeling. As in, for-the-rest-of-your-life-temporary. Realize you will soon be unable to return to a job, so last chance to ensure your financial affairs are in order.

Stage 4, reality: As stage 3. You are not only unemployed now, but also unemployable. Every day you thank your past self for sacrificing so much energy to get where you are today.

Maybe?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Of course nobody on this board will be bored with retirement.You wouldn't be here if you didn't have a zest for life outside your job. But there's definitely people out there who ARE their job. They really have nothing else. If you have no outside interests, hobbies, etc, you could definitely be bored in retirement.

I could never be bored in retirement. Especially as I get older I take pleasure in many simple things, walking the dog, reading the paper on the deck with a cup of coffee, etc. Stuff I would've found boring years ago. Plus all the activities I still enjoy like golf, hiking, travel, etc.
We do occasionally hear from people who just could not deal with retirement. They get bored, lack structure, whatever. Of course, they don't hang around here long, as our discussions aren't much of a fit for them.

I can understand someone who is energized by the work they do, plus it might bring them prestige or other perks, and maybe even a high degree of freedom. If that brings them more joy than being totally free, then why not? Though I think those are the rare exception.

But some people seem to dislike their job, yet still can't deal with the freedom. I dunno, but that strikes me as rather sad. I can't imagine how being told what to do and when to do it could be better than choosing what to do when you want to do it (or not do it!).

-ERD50
Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bullpuckey.

After eleven years of retirement I may no longer be euphoric, but I will never, ever tire of my freedom. No boredom, no depression, nothing but net...

+1000

After three years I'm loving it and see no reason I'll ever move past the honeymoon phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
When somebody tells me they don't want to retire because they are afraid they will be bored, I just scratch my head.
I feel sorry for people who have such an empty life that they can't envision ever not w*rking due to boredom.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I am in my 8th year of retirement and I never get tired or bored of it; the euphoria has never ended.
You've been euphoric for 8 years?

That sounds completely exhausting
Old 04-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #28

It's only been 11 months, but I think I am in the orientation phase now. Kind of trying to figure out what to do next. My days are currently filled with playing my favorite sports, cooking favorite foods, spending more time with/enjoying my hubby, and a lot of investment learning/shuffling money around (I moved from US to Canada) - more time-consuming than I thought because I tend to diddle around. Has anybody noticed that you don't get as much accomplished now compared to when you were w*rking?? Maybe it's just me, but the day flies by - My goal is to get at least one thing accomplished that I set out to do that day.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
How come every article in the media always stresses how bad retirement is and that everyone needs to work until they drop?
The folks that generally write/research the drivel are not LBYM. Read one last week that said no one's happy that retired, BS!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is why the mantra is to "retire TO something, not FROM something".
Old 04-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

During my honeymoon phase of ER, I started missing some appointments (Dr, dental) only to realize, that even in ER, I still need some sort of calendar. Now, I do use a calender to keep myself honest. Other than that, still putzing around carefree .
Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

The problem with the chart is that it assumes that you haven't prepared for life beyond w*rk, thus the sobering transition between 3 and 4 when reality sets in.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds1Stone View Post
Since work had become increasingly frustrating, I did BOTH!

-ERD50
Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds1Stone View Post
Before retirement, it was hard to visualize what retirement would really be like. I had seldom even had any vacations much less extended time off. So, having read that truism, as we all have, I was kind of concerned that I did not plan to "retire TO something".

For me, that turned out to be complete and utter rubbish. I have had a great retirement and have no difficulty structuring my time without having something I am required to do (either by somebody else, or by me). If I was offered a billion dollars to come up with something I retired TO, I honestly couldn't tell you what that would be. And yet, my retirement has been wonderful. (Or maybe that's the reason why my retirement has been wonderful?)

But YMMV!! We are all individuals. My point is just that this truism does NOT hold for every retiree, not at all. I'm not even certain that it holds for many or most retirees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My goal is to get at least one thing accomplished that I set out to do that day.
Not me, unless you include getting that first cup of coffee as something that I set out to do that day. Gotta have my coffee.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #35

I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #36

I'm stuck on 3. Occasionally I skip over 4 to #5, but then, I quickly recognize my mistake and get back to #3.

Lay out a schedule for how you will spend your day (#5). Seriously!!!?!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I'm stuck on 3. Occasionally I skip over 4 to #5, but then, I quickly recognize my mistake and get back to #3.

I agree! I love the spontaneity that is not possible while working, but that IS possible in retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

+1

I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I can't imagine how being told what to do and when to do it could be better than choosing what to do when you want to do it (or not do it!).
Best line ever, ERD50!!! I think that says it all.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!
You will probably be on time, yet still have to sit and wait, and be just as irritated as when you worked and no free time at all to waste.