Join Early Retirement Today

'Honeymoon' Phase of Early Retirement
Old 04-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

'Honeymoon' Phase of Early Retirement

I early retired (@49 yrs old) two weeks ago and have been enjoying the first few weeks of not going to work. I saw this chart 'Phases of Retirement' on Forbes.com and am definitely moving between the 'Celebration' and 'Honeymoon' phases right now. For those of you who have been retired for a little while and felt their way through these phases - how long did the 'Honeymoon' last?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 6.49.48 PM.png (222.9 KB, 335 views)
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HONEYMOON

Enjoy the temporary euphoria...Realize you will soon tire of your new-found freedom.
Bullpuckey.

After eleven years of retirement I may no longer be euphoric, but I will never, ever tire of my freedom. No boredom, no depression, nothing but net...
Old 04-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bullpuckey.
I second that!

I skipped phases 1 and 2, went directly into 3, and am staying there. The profound change in my life is that I'm enjoying it.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bullpuckey.

After eleven years of retirement I may no longer be euphoric, but I will never, ever tire of my freedom. No boredom, no depression, nothing but net...
+1000

I am "only" in my 7th year of retirement, and I still feel pretty euphoric about it at times, several times a day. I have never felt bored or depressed. Don't get me wrong; I was a fundamentally happy person even when working, but it has just intensified rather nicely.

P.S.: I have never "tired of my new-found freedom" as suggested on the graphic. That's so insane I can't even address it. You know, it really ticks me off that the person who made that graphic (who probably isn't even retired!!!) is trying to spoil the happy anticipation of potential retirees like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5 years, still in the honeymoon phase for the most part.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

No real "honeymoon phase" since we were too busy preparing for moving for that. But since then just a sense of relaxation that was pretty scarce before.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I second that!

I skipped phases 1 and 2, went directly into 3, and am staying there. The profound change in my life is that I'm enjoying it.
Another one here.I would call the Forbes list ridiculous -- obviously not created by someone who has been there

It has only been honeymoon stage so far. Of course, it has only been 15 years. Maybe tomorrow will be different. Odds?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm only in my 10th year, but still euphoric, particularly when I get up in the morning and realize I have nothing scheduled and the day is mine to do as I please.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

At 22 years under my belt it keeps getting better and better. Health is still okie dokie at 72 going on 73.

I do have a problem keeping a straight face when I am getting down with my Curmudgeon mode and really expounding on whinning.

heh heh heh -

Now I did have to undergo a mental shift from unemployed slacker(Layed off) to ER. Once done - party time!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I was way more bored towards the end of my working career - it wasn't a bad job, just tedious difficult details and constant deadline pressure.

After 3.5 retirement years, boredom hasn't even been a slight concern. Setting my own 'schedule', doing whatever I want - how can I be bored? The problem is more in figuring out what I really want to do from the universe of possibilities, which is a problem I enjoy.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When somebody tells me they don't want to retire because they are afraid they will be bored, I just scratch my head.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HONEYMOON

Enjoy the temporary euphoria...Realize you will soon tire of your new-found freedom.

To the OP, you might want to post this stuff here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-20756.html

Seriously, how could anyone tire of freedom? Sounds like something someone on Death Row would tell themselves as a coping mechanism!

Or what were the slogans from 1984? Oh yeah:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another one here.I would call the Forbes list ridiculous -- obviously not created by someone who has been there

It has only been honeymoon stage so far. Of course, it has only been 15 years. Maybe tomorrow will be different. Odds?
This. I think whoever was responsible for this is a jealous fool.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #14

Just a guess, but the guy that did that chart is not retired!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

I am "only" in my 7th year of retirement, and I still feel pretty euphoric about it at times, several times a day. I have never felt bored or depressed. Don't get me wrong; I was a fundamentally happy person even when working, but it has just intensified rather nicely.

P.S.: I have never "tired of my new-found freedom" as suggested on the graphic. That's so insane I can't even address it. You know, it really ticks me off that the person who made that graphic (who probably isn't even retired!!!) is trying to spoil the happy anticipation of potential retirees like that.
I call bullpuckey on it, too, as did you.

I am in my 8th year of retirement and I never get tired or bored of it; the euphoria has never ended. And whenever I need a small reminder of what I am missing, I just have to put on a local traffic and transit report here (NYC metro area, a commuting hell if there ever was one).

Because I worked part-time in various forms for 7 years before I fully ERed back in 2008, I actually discovered a lot of my newly found freedom when the PT era first began in 2001. That era began with a reduction in my despised commute and being able to do my local errands on weekdays at 11 AM when the stores and other businesses were empty. I also began my volunteer work and resurrected some long-dormant evening hobbies.

I also realized another big advantage of being ERed last year when I had some health issues which included a 12-day hospital stay. Being ERed meant that I could devote 100% of my time and effort toward getting better and back to normal, something which would have much, much tougher had I still been working, even part-time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

Maybe the person who did the Phases isn't retired. 2 years and not feeling a hint of freedom fatigue yet. Still rockin' it!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

To the OP, you might want to post this stuff here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-20756.html

Seriously, how could anyone tire of freedom? Sounds like something someone on Death Row would tell themselves as a coping mechanism!

Or what were the slogans from 1984? Oh yeah:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength.

-ERD50
You're spot on. Some weird doublethink going with the article.

OP,

Don't worry, I'm coming up on 3 years(5/1☺) and whatever crapola that's supposed to happen hasn't. It just keeps getting better. Why not? We've been programmed to having others tell us what to do, when to eat, sleep, drive, where to be. It's pretty cool to do what I'd like for a change. Really when ya really think about it the notion of working is pretty disgusting! Other than it's necessary why would anyone submit themselves to the kind of corporate illnesses many had to?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #18

I have been retired for 4 months. I think I went from a long period of 1 to 5 straight. My daily routine is not set in stone. I have a loose guideline that I follow. For example, today, I skipped going to a golf course and did house work. That's the beauty of retirement. I am free to do whatever, and whenever.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Going on 2 years now, still on honeymoon.

Can't do whatever I want, my dog insists that I take her for walks and play tug after supper and take her to the dog park to sniff butts and socialize.

If there is reincarnation, I want to be a pampered house puppy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 AM   #20

Still honeymooner after 2.5 years.
We tell each other every morning and several times during the day how lucky we are.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote