Join Early Retirement Today

Host gift ideas needed
Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Host gift ideas needed

I'm traveling to Europe soon. I am still racking my brain for a suitable "host gift" for a male living in Germany. I've already got gifts for everyone in his family except for him

I haven't met him yet so I don't know about any hobbies or interests; all I know about him currently is that he's a father of 4, a successful dentist, and is 50 years old.

Obviously, something fairly small, lightweight, unbreakable would be good; extra points for something U.S.-specific.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can bring in food (I'm pretty sure customs allows it) how about some authentic maple syrup.

Maple Syrup, Parker`s Maple Barn
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If your can score really good American beer, it might be nice, but they are hard to come by (Heady Topper or Pliny the Elder come to mind).
Maybe Bourbon?
Anything locally grown where you live? Peanuts? Pecans? Macademia nuts?
Local deserts, like fudge or brittle?
These are all rare in Germany.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bourbon is a good one. Also agree anything local to your area.

I took a local cookbook as a host gift to a family in New Zealand, and they were very intrigued with it. Especially as it included a lot of party recipes with loads of alcohol (think Ammunition Punch). So I'm pretty sure they thought I lived in a place full of lushes!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

I like the idea of a bourbon or a local wine or jams or honeys. I got a Pendleton's catalog today and they have some nice men's mufflers. You might see if you have a nearby art league that sells various handmade items. One near me has things like carved wood business card holders, pens, bottle stoppers. A vintage item like a nice pen or bottle opener or Zippo lighter (if you can transport such an item by plane nowadays) might also be a possibility.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Or, a beer mug from a local brewery or a couple of wine glasses imprinted by a local winery.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

JFK remains very popular in Germany due to his visit in the 60's and his Ich Bin Ein Berliner speech. I recently purchased a first edition of Schlesinger's One Thousand Days at a library book sale (without dust jacket for a quarter). Some used book stores have many copies of this book and it might also be a unique and appreciated gift.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Obviously, something fairly small, lightweight, unbreakable would be good; extra points for something U.S.-specific.
omni
Cross pen. Fits the above description and it's made in Rhode Island.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas. I've now got a list that I can go shopping with.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I once brought a German friend a book about the US National Parks system (with lots of photos), which he seemed to like. I think it was published by National Geographic Society, but there are other national parks books out there. He was a friend who I already knew was interested in nature, however. There are also some good national parks calendars published.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Administrator

Really good suggestions. Bourbon, local jelly or fruit preserve, local cook book make excellent gifts. One more options: a book of photographs or cultural atlas of the region where you live or identify with.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote