house exchanges

grateful

Dryer sheet wannabe
has anyone on this board ever exchanged houses with either domestic or foreign partners or know anyone who has? i'm talking about an extended exchange of at least several months duration. it seems like a great way to get to know an area as more than a visitor without the cost of hotels. there are several interesting looking web sites that cater to seniors, academics on sabatical, etc. they usually require a membership fee but, in turn, may provide some protection against flakes. craig's list also has a home exchange component. any thoughts?
thanks, grateful

I've heard second hand stories of positive experiences but never talked to anybody first hand.

I am also interested in the idea (I figure Hawaii should be pretty easy place to exchange). Do you have some good links for exchange websites?

TIA
Clif

We have good friends who have a lovely place just outside Chapala, Mexico with a view of the lake. He has done a house trade for years. He has traded for a place in Paris, one in Rome and one somewhere like Kansas because his son was g oing to University there... and they wanted to be close by. (a very Latin approach.)

They love being able to do this and have the international experience for a much lower housing cost.

You might also want to check out our Preferred Links Page , the Relocation Page and click on the Caretakers Gazette http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/links_relocation_retirement_jobs_community_service.htm

I hear they are pretty good. Hope this helps.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Joined a home swap network this year but have not completed any exchanges yet. Very inexpensive to join ($60) for a year. Completely up to you to negotiate and facilitate the exchange.

With 2 young kids we're al little tied down (school) to REALLY take advantage.

It's a great concept and good way to go. Save a lot of $, with all the comforts of home and many times with a car to use as well.

Yes, my understanding is that you fill up the car with gas, the refrigerator with food, and leave maps of the area available. Then about 3 days into your stay, a friendly neighbor comes over to ask how you are doing, and if you need any directions to the grocery stores, movie theaters, or whatever... Really a welcome type feeling.

At least this has been the information I have gotten.

Be well,
Akaisha

Our experience is that the swappers treat our house better than we do and we do the same with theirs. The cars are always left washed and gassed up. Our next swap is to San Diego in May and it will be our second with these folks.

A bonus is that they like cats even though they have no pets so our two boys get spoiled with all the brushing and treats.

A co-worker has used http://www.homeexchange.com/. He said it was a fantastic experience and is planning to do it again. He has a family of 4 and he exchanged with a family of 5 from Denmark for a month.

thanks to everyone who responded! as usual, very informative and thoughtful replies.
grateful

I've done home exchanges twice. It worked really well both times. It is particularly good with kids, since then you have separate bedrooms, a kitchen etc. I liked the experience of staying on one place and really seeing it an soaking up the area, rather than jumping around from place to place. And its free! I used www.homeexchange.com, before the movie, but other sites look good too. We live in Manhattan, which makes it a bit easier to exchange, but people swap houses for all sorts of reasons. I've had friends say they would not do it because they would be afraid their house would get trashed, but you talk to the other people extensively before the swap. It is just not likely. Given the cost of hotel rooms, they would have to do thousands of dollars of damage, for us to merely break even on what we would have given a hotel.

We live in Manhattan, which makes it a bit easier to exchange, but people swap houses for all sorts of reasons. I've had friends say they would not do it because they would be afraid their house would get trashed, but you talk to the other people extensively before the swap. It is just not likely. Given the cost of hotel rooms, they would have to do thousands of dollars of damage, for us to merely break even on what we would have given a hotel.

Thanks for that insight, Jeffrey. I read about some people in Oklahoma who were surprised that anyone would want to come visit, but got many inquiries and trades from over seas people who wanted to learn about native americans. They apparently were close to some sites.

And you are right, about the damage done versus paying for hotel rooms... We have not done an exchange but because of this thread, we are considering it for sometime in the future. You are right, there are many reasons why people house exchange.

We have all amenities included and are close to college, pro and semi-pro sports arenas, theaters, world class shopping, restaurants, hiking, rock climbing, caves, wineries, pro golf courses, and so on... so... 8)

Could be fun and a great option to see another country at a better price.

Thanks!
Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom