Join Early Retirement Today

House surfing
Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

House surfing

Here's a darling little house in Iowa City. I think I might like Iowa City. Maybe. I like University towns. Anyone live there?

$139,000

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l0f91d441-m0m.jpg

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l0f91d441-m2m.jpg
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The photo didn't show up.

I don't live in Iowa City, and have never been there, but house surfing is one of my favorite pastimes!
Earlier this year there was a lot of flooding in some parts of Iowa - - did they have bad flooding then?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Sorry! I fixed the link. Yeah, there was definitely flooding. No place is perfect. But that would be a concern.

Also, Ashville, NC. Artsy and beautiful. Here's a cute place. $149900

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l9896b141-c0m.jpg

Anyone want to suggest some other inexpensive towns with charming houses?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for fixing the link - - I love the house!!

I know what you mean. I was just thinking that the house might be damaged inside from the flood and might need to be gutted. Hopefully not! I don't see any floodline on the house, so that's encouraging.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Both houses are cute . I'd pick one that had easy access to my children or I absolutely adored the area .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Some of my favorite people are from Iowa. Great price, it wouldn't be enough for the down payment on the one-bedroom condo on my street.

So what's the easiest way to get into this house surfing?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ashville is supposed to be an the in place to live.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Dang, by the headline I had image of a house on the front face of a big wave, surfer stylishly guiding it to a smooth beach landing. Oh, never mind!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I love house surfing. It seems like many areas have online access to their MLS to look at houses.

I've been to Iowa City. Only some areas are prone to flooding. It is a nice town but truly in the middle of nowhere. The summers deadly hot and the winters cold.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - when it get's down to $65,000 with a bigger yard and fully fenced for the dogs - let me know.

I'd still like to know who ratted out Tonganoxie - no more good buys anymore.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought you meant "house surfing" like I used to mean "couch surfing," in that you just skip from housesitting gig to housesitting gig.

But as far as sweet places go, I'm fond of the Corvallis, OR area, but a nice house under $200k would be hard to come by. I've also liked South Bend, Indiana and the Twin Cities areas.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The house is soo cute!

I would have to learn to drive in snow in the snow to live there, but you have my vote.

tmm
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #13

Oldbabe,

I live in eastern Iowa and am fairly familiar with Iowa City. It's a nice university town. I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I would generally recommend it. The U of I Hospitals and Clinics is/are outstanding, if healthcare is of any importance.

We had some bad flooding here this spring, but there were plenty of areas of cities that made it through unscathed.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the summers are deadly hot, but we get plenty of heat and humidity. The winters can be hateful at times, too. How else are you supposed to know when the seasons change??
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - when it get's down to $65,000 with a bigger yard and fully fenced for the dogs - let me know.

I'd still like to know who ratted out Tonganoxie - no more good buys anymore.

heh heh heh -
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for too. In a town near a University and an international airport. Mild summers and winters. Preferably in a blue state where there are lots of handsome gentlemen and the women are all just average. I'll let you know when I find one.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #15

The houses are all nice. I'm partial to Asheville. I can't believe you can get a home like that for that price! Asheville has such a European, old-hippie type flair! Old Babe = Old Hippie, perhaps?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Both houses are cute . I'd pick one that had easy access to my children or I absolutely adored the area .
Well, I'd like that but my two youngest are not settled. My oldest lives in SF area and I can't afford to live there. Plus, I don't really want to follow my kids around the country.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Urchina;745208]...
But as far as sweet places go, I'm fond of the Corvallis, OR area, but a nice house under $200k would be hard to come by...quote]

Welllll - about 20 miles north of Corvallis is Monmouth - same weather, smaller town, smaller school - Western Oregon University. Happen to know of the best deal on the low-priced spreads right now: 3 bdrm, 1240' 1915 home

Only problem is, the owner's honey hangs out on interweb forums all day trolling for suck...., er, just the most discerning of buyers to let him get out of the rental business.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I've been to Iowa City. Only some areas are prone to flooding. It is a nice town but truly in the middle of nowhere.
I once heard someone describe Iowa as the "state of perfect nothingness". And the late 'Uncle Bobby' Collins of WGN radio in Chicago used to say that there was nothing west of the Mississippi River...until you got to Nebraska!

I realize that neither are completely true....partially maybe......but personally I like Iowa for the most part.....even though it does seem like it's a long distance between towns! Most everyone I've met or had contact with in/from Iowa have been very nice and friendly folks!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for too. In a town near a University and an international airport. Mild summers and winters. Preferably in a blue state where there are lots of handsome gentlemen and the women are all just average. I'll let you know when I find one.
....reminds me of the old adage about finding a man in Alaska:

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd"
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Here's a darling little house in Iowa City. I think I might like Iowa City. Maybe. I like University towns. Anyone live there?

$139,000

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l0f91d441-m0m.jpg

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l0f91d441-m2m.jpg
Wait, aren't you living in Fort Collins? Isn't CSU right in downtown? Why is Iowa City so much better than FC?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote