Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
....reminds me of the old adage about finding a man in Alaska:

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd"
Or Silicon Valley. I wouldn't even call engineering dudes "goods", but OldBabe may find plenty of 30-year-old millionaires walking around.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Wait, aren't you living in Fort Collins? Isn't CSU right in downtown? Why is Iowa City so much better than FC?
No, I don't live in Ft. Collins, and the definition of moderate climate doesn't fit Colorado.

I'm not sold on Iowa city, just doing some surfing here.

A place "where the men are good-looking and the children are all above average" Prairie Home Companion
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
A place "where the men are good-looking and the children are all above average" Prairie Home Companion
Garrison Keillor....one of my all time favorites!!! Listened to him just the other evening on NPR!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I think Iowa City sounds like an attractive place, OldBabe, except that for me it would be too snowy.

I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway.
Naw.....just getcha an Ozark 2-Door Coupe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ozark 2-door Coupe.jpg (59.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Naw.....just getcha an Ozark 2-Door Coupe!
Pretty amazing!! I'd have to get a step ladder just to get in the thing.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #27

Or maybe something a little classier...and less rust-prone, in case MO uses a lot of road salt in the winter. Maybe a De Lorean?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg De Lorean 4x4.jpg (73.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #28

Quote:
I think Iowa City sounds like an attractive place, OldBabe, except that for me it would be too snowy.

Snow removal is not for anyone over age 50, IMHO! Hire a teenager. But the idea of your house facing south is a good one. Make sure that your driveway is level and not sloping. Missouri is famous for ice storms. Not fun.

Once in Ohio we had a lot of ice buildup and I didn't clear my driveway soon enough. I tried to drive up the driveway but slid back down into a snow bank. I had to hire a truck to pull me out. But the driver was afraid he would slide too! So I said I would clear enough of the ice off so that it wouldn't be a hazard. By the time I finished spreading salt and clearing off the ice, the sun was out and melting most of it.

Ok, that memory removes Iowa and the rest of the midwest from my list.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Pretty amazing!! I'd have to get a step ladder just to get in the thing.
Got just the thing ya need then Mrs. Douglas W2R! (spoken in the voice of Mr. Haney from TV's "Green Acres") Hows about this....when not being used as a ladder, it doubles as a Christmas Tree! What in the world could be more useful than that?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ozark christmas tree.jpg (37.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Snow removal is not for anyone over age 50, IMHO! Hire a teenager. But the idea of your house facing south is a good one. Make sure that your driveway is level and not sloping. Missouri is famous for ice storms. Not fun.

Once in Ohio we had a lot of ice buildup and I didn't clear my driveway soon enough. I tried to drive up the driveway but slid back down into a snow bank. I had to hire a truck to pull me out. But the driver was afraid he would slide too! So I said I would clear enough of the ice off so that it wouldn't be a hazard. By the time I finished spreading salt and clearing off the ice, the sun was out and melting most of it.

I can imagine! What a story! Sounds like an ordeal, that's for sure. As for me, I am thinking of just staying housebound for a week or two when there is ice or snow, for the most part, since I can't yet drive in that stuff. Even so, I would probably have to shovel a path up the driveway and over to the front door for the mailman, if the mailbox is by the front door.

Maybe I can hire someone younger to do that. Luckily (? not really), there aren't many good jobs in the area so I'd think that it might not be too hard to find someone who would do that reliably.

Frank can drive in snow, but I want to be self reliant in Missouri in case he has to take a contract job out of town now and then.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #31

Quote:
How about somewhere in Tennessee? Climate's not too bad....lots of beautiful areas.....some college towns....airports.....indoor plumbin' (in most places)...

IF I ever decide to move from where I'm at now, I'd definitely have TN on the top of my list! Probably somewhere not too far from Nashville.....a day's drive to the Gulf coast, Chicago, Atlantic coast, only a few hours to Hotlanta, etc. There's sports, entertainment, food, history, and all that good stuff nearby. I'm going to be down in that neck of the woods 4 or 5 times next year sightseeing & exploring....it's a little less than an 8 hour drive from my home.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Got just the thing ya need then Mrs. Douglas W2R! (spoken in the voice of Mr. Haney from TV's "Green Acres") Hows about this....when not being used as a ladder, it doubles as a Christmas Tree! What in the world could be more useful than that?!
You are really ON today, Goonie!

I think I'll just stick with my Solara and keep it in the garage until the snow melts away. SO much easier.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - when it get's down to $65,000 with a bigger yard and fully fenced for the dogs - let me know.
Here you go, UM-- not quite the price you wanted, but competitive with Iowa. Open floorplan, nice & breezy, with knockout views!

Hawaii Real Estate Central - Honolulu Board of REALTORS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waianae.jpg (7.6 KB, 89 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd prolly take it, if it were oriented for optimum solar angle AND covered with solar panels.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I can imagine! What a story! Sounds like an ordeal, that's for sure. As for me, I am thinking of just staying housebound for a week or two when there is ice or snow, for the most part, since I can't yet drive in that stuff. Even so, I would probably have to shovel a path up the driveway and over to the front door for the mailman, if the mailbox is by the front door.
In MO I can't imagine being snowed in for more than a few days.

Quote:
Maybe I can hire someone younger to do that. Luckily (? not really), there aren't many good jobs in the area so I'd think that it might not be too hard to find someone who would do that reliably.
I've had people come to the door asking if they can shovel out my driveway for $20.

Quote:
Frank can drive in snow, but I want to be self reliant in Missouri in case he has to take a contract job out of town now and then.
Just have enough stuff for a week, should be more than enough.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
In MO I can't imagine being snowed in for more than a few days.
It probably won't be, though I guess I will find out when I get there. Last year (or was it the year before? I've forgotten) there was an unusually bad ice storm and I think it took two weeks before things returned to normal.

Quote:
I've had people come to the door asking if they can shovel out my driveway for $20.
Perfect! Hopefully I will be as fortunate.

Quote:
Just have enough stuff for a week, should be more than enough.
Sounds great. We are both looking forward to moving up there, though we might have to wait out the housing market. Guess we'll play it by ear once we are free of our jobs.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:

I went to MSU in Springfield ~30 years ago. We had a 28" snowstorm in the winter of 1978-1979. It shut the city down for four days. Luckily we lived two blocks from Brown Derby liquor store and the Bamboo Inn, or it would have been a real disaster.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I went to MSU in Springfield ~30 years ago. We had a 28" snowstorm in the winter of 1978-1979. It shut the city down for four days. Luckily we lived two blocks from Brown Derby liquor store and the Bamboo Inn, or it would have been a real disaster.
That's pretty good to only be shut down for four days after a snow like that.

I'm hoping to find a house near Sunshine or Battlefield (both large, commercial streets by now, south of MSU) so that I can walk places if I want to.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I love that ladder tree . Great idea goonie !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You also want to be self-reliant in case he needs your help for any reason.

I'd just have him take you out after the first snow. Find a good, flat, open parking lot and practice. My dad did this with me the year I got my learner's permit. He had me put the car into a skid, take it out of a skid, put it into a skid, take it out of a skid -- for about two hours.

I'm real good on snow. I was always invited on the college ski trips because I was one of the only folks who knew how to drive in it. (Didn't snow much where I grew up).

You can do it!