Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife was and is a SAHM with our two kids (now teens). ER at 43 was fantastic for our marriage and family. We are much more connected and on the same page, with similar priorities.

It might have even saved our marriage because things got pretty rough the last few years before the ER.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll admit it. I am not a sentimental person and I tend to forget to do small things so I have to remind myself as my DW appreciates more than anything.

A couple ideas
1) learn what her favorite food is and make it. I have become really good at making creme brulee, Carmel corn and apricot scones... and can honestly say I make them better than most restaurants now... In her eyes anyway.

2) flowers. I don't do this enough but she loves flowers. Picking them is much better than buying .

3) giving her time. We have 2 young kids. I enjoy spending time with them so I try to find time (weekly if not not more) to take the kids out and give her some time.

The key is... she does lots of nice little things for me.

I'm amazed at how many couples go the other way. Spend time and energy comparing how little the other person does and trying to nit pick and irritate each other (often through sarcasm). Our relationship isn't perfect... but neither are we.

I'm not religious but I think there much wisdom in there... I think this is a great guide:

"Let not the sun go down in your wrath."

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #43

One thing no one has mentioned (or I missed it as I skimmed the answers)... With both parties ER'd there's more opportunity for ... ahem... physical companionship.

That can be considered a benefit or a negative...depending on your attitude. LOL.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It has been pretty good. I have learned to relax, and I asked my wife how she feels. Her response was "contented". We enjoy each others company and she is more practical than me in some aspects.
The attached sign pretty well sums it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porch Rules.jpg (329.8 KB, 27 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
One thing no one has mentioned (or I missed it as I skimmed the answers)... With both parties ER'd there's more opportunity for ... ahem... physical companionship.

That can be considered a benefit or a negative...depending on your attitude. LOL.
+1. We look forward to spontaneity unhindered by lack of sleep!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My brilliant and very capable wife left her j*b at my urging about 20 years ago. She was not built for stress and we both realized that. So she decided to take on most household duties and supported me in my career quite flawlessly. Prior to my early retirement we had a planning meeting to define how we would approach finally achieving our dream of being able to spend so much more time together. I offered to take on all the house chores and give her relief from them. She said she wanted to keep some anyway. So, I suggested she give me at least all the ones she hated. Seemed only fair. It gives me great satisfaction each week knowing that I am saving her from these tasks. It's her retirement also.

-BB
Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #47

Wish I had something to add.
On July 12th, we'll celebrate 58 years of very happy marriage.

Our mutual observation:
"Between the two of us, we almost make one person."

Wouldn't have it any other way.