Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Our last dog passed away almost 3 years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure we would have anymore dogs in the future, however, I have really missed having a dog. We are now getting a lab puppy in a few weeks which I am very excited about. I am fairly certain this will be the last time in our lives when we would get a puppy.

Full retirement is still about 10-12 years away, when DD goes to college. I am thinking our new pup will live until around that time too. After that, I don't think we will be getting any pets because we plan to do a good bit of traveling.
I really like labs or lab/shepard mixes, probably my favorite.
I grew up with lots of different pets , but now we don't have any, and its a conscious decision as it frees us up to travel freely.
Our outside pets just have to revert to nature for a few weeks when we disappear.
It seems to work out fine.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
4. How do you deal with living pets in your estate plan?
One of our 4 dogs is pretty even tempered and well behaved. I think we'll leave our entire estate to her, and just count on her to take care of her pack members. The others would blow the money on Pupperoni and squeaky toys.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by harley View Post
One of our 4 dogs is pretty even tempered and well behaved. I think we'll leave our entire estate to her, and just count on her to take care of her pack members. The others would blow the money on Pupperoni and squeaky toys.
Our Springer would blow it all on Beggin Strips. It all goes to the GSD.
The Constitution. It's not just a good's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets
When I lived in a city, I & pug happily participated in Pug Rescue events. We met other pug owners and would care for friends' pugs during travel.

I took my pug to work every day. Almost everyone adored her and several file clerks were happy to take care of her while staying at my place. It gave them a change to live alone for a bit instead of with roommates. Plus my complex had a jacuzzi and pool.

Now I'm in a rural area. It's hard to find dog sitters. Locals charge $20 - $35 per night, even if they just add my dog to their collection at their house. (My first thought when hearing the quote: "$35/day - do they teach the dog to do dishes?") And there's one kennel charging $30 a day.

So if you're in a populated area, look for a rescue group for your breed.

I'm retiring and moving abroad this summer. My current pug is my juvenile delinquent foster child. Not a nice dog but she would have been put down had I not taken her in. (She was abused before being turned into pug rescue. Messed her up.) She is old and will die within a year. So I will turn her over to Pug Rescue before I leave. All is arranged and foster mums are available. I will donate $40K at that time. Plus they get $$ from my will.

Pugs are great dogs for condos. Very quiet. They shed, so not good for ppl with allergies. But fun little monkeys. I could not live without one.

I plan to join the pug rescue group in my new city. There I will meet owners and breeders, form friends, and find a good kennel. I'll wait until I've settled in. Perhaps I'll foster a few rescues for a few months until I'm ready to get a puppy.

Someone asked about the cost of owning a dog. Men are a LOT more expensive to keep around, in case that person was trying to point out that living with an affectionate dog was an expensive luxury.

NOT ! ! !

gretah is offline   Reply With Quote