Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tend to shop only once a month on Senior Discount Day and supplement with a couple of produce runs and a milk & egg run. The deep freeze almost always contains 3 or 4 types of soups frozen in 1 qt containers along with basic red sauce with or without meat as well as a couple of containers of browned off and usually seasoned ground beef. Whenever I do pizza or lasagna there usually will be a few extra put into the freezer as well. Two racks of BBQ ribs usually means a few Ziplock bags of leftovers for the freezer also. Since I cook brown rice most of the time, there is frequently a good sized bowl of that in the fridge. All of the items above are great with home made bread and a salad of whatever is available. With this type of base I can make the decision daily on if I want to cook or not.

I collect cookbooks and read them for inspiration for my cooking but really only use a recipe for baking due to the leavening ratios. Sometimes if I do not feel like fussing around and the freezer stuff just does not appeal to me, I can knock out a simple breakfast for dinner meal. It's all good and I am not worried at all getting proper nutritional balance as that is accomplished over time and not a single meal or two.

So, I am closest to # 5.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #22

Side question: Would anyone who was mostly #3 or #6 admit it here?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Side question: Would anyone who was mostly #3 or #6 admit it here?
Of course not!

Everyone here eats only freshly prepared grass-fed and/or organic foods prepared in a solar oven using natural stone dishware...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep a stocked pantry so most recipes can be adapted to the ingredients I have on hand (since I think Garam Masala is a staple spice, you should probably guess that I keep a very stocked pantry). The few that require something special get saved for the weekend with the ingredient being added to the weekly shopping list. I usually have 2 meals that I keep in mind when shopping and the rest I just throw together on a whim based on what we want to eat.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weekend cooker and graze on the leftovers the remainder of the week. Occasionally get take out or go out to eat ~1x week. Dine out for work maybe 2x a month.

I think the last 6 working days (Wed Thu Fri Mon Tues Wed) I had

1. homemade green pork chili from the freezer (made ~2 months ago), eaten with chips and corn tortillas plus shredded cheese

2 and 3: Butter Curry Chicken frozen from August 23, leftover rice from the weekend, Naan from the freezer (from TJ's), and prepared hummus (from TJ's).

4. Barbecue - homemade slow roasted from pork tenderloin and picnic shoulders w/ homemade sauce made many months ago (and stored in the plastic water bottle! ) w/ slaw purpose bought to go w/ bbq, maybe some bread, veggies and/or tater tots also??

5. Tacos, leftover from previous weekend I think

6. $1 Quarter pound double cheeseburgers from Burger king plus tater tots from the freezer (cooked first of course)

And along with all this there was pecan pie and banana bread from this weekend, and some asian dessert (rice dough wrapped in banana leaves and steamed with a caramelized sugar and coconut filling).

Grocery shopping happens 1x a week usually on Friday nights (yes, we are exciting people). Most heavy duty cooking happens Saturday or Sunday, and the leftovers are usually eaten during the week for lunches or dinners and parts of the weekend cooking may be frozen (things like soups, chilis, pasta sauces, taco meat, chicken, bbq, etc). We also keep frozen veggies and convenience meats on hand for ad hoc meals (frozen corn on cob, peas, broccoli, chicken tenders, meatballs, shrimp, sausage, kielbasa, etc).
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Mostly 4, with some of 2, 5, 3, and 6. It's a 30 minute drive to the grocery store for me, so no daily trip to pick up the night's meal.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I cook sometimes but it is usually indian food that my Mom makes for me or leftovers from eating out. I usually go to places where I can eat the salad and bread for my meal and bring the actual meal home for the next couple of days. I cannot figure out how to plan the menu for the week since I never know what I will be in the mood for! When I do cook, I make a lot so it can be frozen for later as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #28

Every so often provide input to DW on what I'd like.

Most of the time she makes splendid meals. Thanks that she is also retired and loves to cook, and is very good at it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #29

I do a weekly trip to the grocery store mostly because I need salad, bananas, dairy, eggs, deli meat, etc. While I'm there I browse past the meat sections and look for markdowns and sales. I have a Foodsaver so I can buy in advance and freeze.

I cook Monday through Thursday and I'm a pretty plain cook. Sometimes I'll see a recipe on TV and look it up and print it out and try it. I keep typical ingredients in stock but if I'm trying something new I may have to buy an ingredient.

On Friday we get take-out as a family for all 4 of us. On Saturday and Sunday everyone is on their own, either leftovers or a salad and soup, sandwiches, etc.

My DH likes my plain, simple cooking, baked or grilled fish or chicken, beef or pork once a week. Cooked vegetable or salad and a simple starch side dish like rice or potatoes, yams, pasta, noodles.

Our sons, 22 and 25, hate my cooking so they are on their own, I keep soup and sandwich makings and things like frozen ravioli around so they can fix something.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #30

I'm moving in with Citrine. Indian is my favorite food almost...yum! Well, and Mexican..and Thai...and Southern American...oh, h*ll, I might as well admit I like just about everything...
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm really into cooking (mostly from scratch) and good food and I often spend time on-line exploring new recipe ideas. I sometimes have so many interesting ideas of things to try that I actually have a list on my computer of new recipe ideas to work through. It takes a while to go through such a list.

Audrey
Audrey, I'm with you on this part. Good cooking from scratch is a new skill I have developed since I retired, much to the delight of my wife. I am getting a local reputation as good cook. So, what I do is cook meals for households where the cooking member is sick or has become temp disabled. I am not handy at anything so that is what I contribute.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #32

I guess I am different from most as I don't even have enough food in my pantry to cook a meal if I have to. My freezer is basically empty as well. What I do on a daily basis is evaluate what I feel like eating and how motivated I am and that determines what is for dinner. For example, if I am feeling non-energetic and it is a cold day I will likely make a slow cooker stew. I check for recipes on All Recipes, decide what I am going to make and after reading all the reviews I prepare my shopping list.

I do shop on a daily basis as I like my ingredients fresh. I don't mind as the supermarket I use is only a 5 minute trip away and is clean and not really busy. I only ever buy what is on my list, so my trip is normally quite quick.

I will often cook something that will last a couple of meals and we will eat it two days in a row. I am not a big fan of putting the leftovers in the freezer to eat at a later date because that tends not to happen in our household.

I never meal plan based on what's on special. I figure life is too short to eat something just because it is on special. If I can't afford to eat what I want when I want I am doing something wrong. That said we don't have expensive eating habits, I will admit in 16 years of marriage I have never cooked a steak. Our biggest extravagance is probably buying lamb which is a diet staple for Australians but so expensive in the US.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to buy stuff daily as we eat it. Sometimes I wonder that may be cheaper than buying stuff in bulk and running around looking for sales because there is (I think) less wastage. When I do freeze I label and date it. My wife doesn't, so there is always mystery stuff in the freezer that eventually gets thrown out by me.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #34

Slow cooked boneless beef short ribs with onions taters carrots garlic chicken stock cabernet and Dijon last night.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #35

Accomplish evening meal? You¨ll all have to ask my wife. Never touch the stuff -cooking- that is.
I am a useless bum around the house chores. On the other hand I seldom complain. The least that can be expected from me
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I tend to buy stuff daily as we eat it. Sometimes I wonder that may be cheaper than buying stuff in bulk and running around looking for sales because there is (I think) less wastage. When I do freeze I label and date it. My wife doesn't, so there is always mystery stuff in the freezer that eventually gets thrown out by me.
I have to agree that by shopping daily I think there is less wastage. I was getting a delivery of organic vegetables every Friday, but found I was probably disposing of 50% of it in the trash because it would go limp before I got to it. When I was working and didn't have time to shop daily when I cleaned the fridge on a weekly basis I would be disposing of large quantities of food which cost me far too much money.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Accomplish evening meal? You¨ll all have to ask my wife. Never touch the stuff -cooking- that is.
I am a useless bum around the house chores. On the other hand I seldom complain. The least that can be expected from me
Vicente, you are a solid, clear cut #7 on my list. The first one I think!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

dangermouse, we have it down to exactly how much to buy for a particular meal, For example, we have fresh haddock once a week and the amount is .50-.55 lbs. for the two of us. Not one bite left over and we both are satisfied. When I buy it and ask for .50 lbs and if they throw .60lbs. or more on the scale and look at me, at tell them to try again.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I suck in my cheeks and look pitiful. If that doesn't work i struggle out to the freezer and pull out a Costco pizza or pot pie or whatever. I am capable of turning on the oven and, in a pinch, have been known to make really good posole or lasagna or meatloaf oh - and my blue cheese dressing is the finest. but mostly, pitiful and/or Costco prepackaged.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #40

When I retire, I will likely shop on a daily or every other day basis. I am not a freezer full of stuff gal...like to fuss with my food for whatever crazy reason. Something I inherited from my parents who cooked daily even though they both worked outside the home. They were first generation Americans but retained something of that "pick up whatever is freshest in the market" European mentality. Family dinner was a BIG thing with them both. I live a quarter of a mile from several groceries so shopping is not an issue. This eating homemade soup for 3 days in a row(which I do now) is something relatively new with me as my husband and son would never have relished it, to put it mildly.