Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tonight we're making... reservations!!!!! Artery clogging night at the area seafood mecca - 40% off any entree. I'm getting the combo fried platter; scallops, shrimp, oysters, and flounder fillet.

Did I mention draft beer?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Tonight we're making... reservations!!!!! Artery clogging night at the area seafood mecca - 40% off any entree. I'm getting the combo fried platter; scallops, shrimp, oysters, and flounder fillet.

Did I mention draft beer?
We went to our local seafood mecca on Veteran's Day . I had the garlic shrimp & My So had the endless popcorn shrimp . We both had drinks and because he is a vet he got half off and because I said I had a picture of me in a nursing uniform I got half off ( This is our local hang out ) so our total bill was $11 and the food is great .

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #63

Reading all that fancy eating is making me mad...! Right so after having 4 teeth pulled put, plenty of scraping at the base of one of them and placed a provisional denture set...all of this done on Tuesday. Had so much anaesthesya food couldn´t find their way into my mouth
All my fault due to my fear of pain-kept asking the good dentist to dish out!
Now my gums hurt aplenty. Forget abiout chewing.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Reading all that fancy eating is making me mad...! Right so after having 4 teeth pulled put, plenty of scraping at the base of one of them and placed a provisional denture set...all of this done on Tuesday. Had so much anaesthesya food couldn´t find their way into my mouth
Vicente, I'm sorry to hear you are in such pain!! Soon it will go away, I am sure.

I had a wonderful, delicous, superb, mouth-watering lunch at a nice restaurant today with Frank - - better than you can even imagine, but I won't tell you what it was so that it doesn't torture you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #65

W2R: You're still in New Orleans, too, you doggette you!!!! Boy, I hope you eat-up before you leave that area for Southern Missouri!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
W2R: You're still in New Orleans, too, you doggette you!!!! Boy, I hope you eat-up before you leave that area for Southern Missouri!
I have to admit that weight loss may be a LOT easier in southern Missouri than it is here!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
ice cream ...
Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In our house, whoever cooks doesn't have to clean up. At all. Since I much prefer cooking, I almost always prepare dinner.
This arrangement was a disaster when I was a teenager! My brother claimed he had excema from dish soap so got to do all the cooking and I had to clean up after him. If he had had to clean up after himself, he wouldn't have made such huge messes!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a simple cook and eat simple foods. I buy what is on sale and freeze meat and fruit and some veggies. I can whip up something even if everything is frozen but try to get some meat out of the freezer every few days.

We don't eat the same things at the same time usually just what we each want when we are hungry.

Last night I made mac and cheese but didn't give him much. Then I made him a frying pan of buffalo stew meat from the freezer with frozen mushrooms and a fresh onion. I told him it was soup. I keep lots of frozen mushrooms and bell peppers and have a big bag of onions. I don't eat buffalo or mushrooms if I can avoid it but he likes them and it is easy.

Tonight I asked him if he was hungry and he said not really so I didn't feed him. I had nuts and califlower, I had oatmeal and raisons for lunch at about 2:30 so not really hungry. I might have frozen nectorines later as a snack.

I only buy groceries if they have a sale worth the trip. If something is too good I might avoid the store. This weekend they have pie for 1.99, I shouldn't eat pie so might not shop at all.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am single & still working but use a combo of many of the things mentioned. I do plan meals ahead as far as entree based on the sale ads. I keep a HIGHLY stocked pantry & freezer. I cook ahead, generally a stew, soup or 9 x 13 pan of.....I eat that 2-3x in the first week and portion freeze the rest.

I have a basic meal plan that includes 2 fish meals, 2 red meat meals, 2 chicken meals, 1 veggie meal, 3 cottage cheese lunches, 2 leftover lunches, 2 egg breakfasts, 2 yougurt/fruit breakfasts, 2 cereal/fruit breakfasts, and 1 waffle or pancake or bagel/cream cheese + fruit breakfast. I am NOT totally bound to my plan. I frequently pick up something for dinner on Friday. I usually have a junk food day on Saturday (pizza, italian sausage, nachos.....). I add salads, veggies and fruit as needed/whats on sale/whats in the freezer to complete a reasonably healthy daily and weekly diet.

I do keep a written plan but am NOT wedded to it. If someone from work or a friend calls to invite me to their place or go out I generally do it and just move that meal idea to my running list of things I have a taste for. Examples: baked stuffed potatoe, grilled cheese w/tomatoe soup, tuna salad have all been on my list for a couple weeks.

I pretty much shop weekly, especially at my local produce markets. I KNOW I will need x servings of veg & y servings of fruit + salad stuff and buy whatever I like that is on special.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #71

I usually do much of the cooking on weekends and DW handles the weekdays. She is away to handle some family business for about 3 months (will be toghether here and there in between), and I am really suffering. Not eating right at all. I have always been a bit of a "party chef" meaning that I cook huge amounts of whatever it is I am cooking. Now that both kids are at university and DW is away, whatever I cooks gets frozen and eaten every day for a week or so. My biggest problem is that I hate cooking for myself, and I have a very hard time cooking for two (two days, two of us, etc). I need to learn how to do this a little better.

R
Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
ice cream ...
Very funny I´ve grown an ulcer and the dentist says I have to carry the denture nevertheless...
On second thoughts, ice cream might be a good idea-cold and soft...mmmm Thanks for the tip