Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just say retired. If someone ask the 'what do you do all day' question I'm honest and say play golf, ride my bike and whatever else I feel like doing. When someone says they would feel bored only doing that I tell them to keep working.

Don't feel embarrassed telling someone you retired early. It's a great accomplishment.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I, for one, plan to spend more time on my hobbies (beekeeping and gardening) so I am going to answer that I am a bee keeper and a market gardener. You can formulate an answer around your hobbies which will the true and relevant.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

The people around us who seem resentful we retired early generally are not people who are poor but people The Millionaire Next Door authors describe as income but not balance sheet affluent. I think they are the competitive types who find it important to their self worth to have better cars, better designer kitchens, better vacations, etc. than their neighbors and co-workers. When other people can retire early but they can't it bothers them. We could care less if people we don't know all that well retired at 30 or work until 80.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #64

I just tell people I work for "Bob" (member of my extended family)

We obtained our health insurance through their company via my part-time work.

I might admit to being retired after age 55.

Maybe.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The people around us who seem resentful we retired early generally are not people who are poor but people The Millionaire Next Door authors describe as income but not balance sheet affluent. I think they are the competitive types who find it important to their self worth to have better cars, better designer kitchens, better vacations, etc. than their neighbors and co-workers. When other people can retire early but they can't it bothers them. We could care less if people we don't know all that well retired at 30 or work until 80.
Just the jealousy aspect which will always be there.
We were kind of in between the two extremes. Made a very good income, but spent a lot. However, we always saved each year and never went into debt.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

That time is in the past now.

But at the time I had no issue whatsoever stating that I was retired. I never saw what the big issue was. People will think what they want to think. I just find it much easier to be straightforward and not skirt around issues.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #67

My neighbor said it best to me when I was working on Maui and they were next door oceanfront retired at 40. I ask what do you do? To which they respond "We manage the family's money."

Brief, frank and truthful.

What they USED To do was much more interesting... Bearing Sea fisherman meets vinyeard heiress who opened and sold a Mexican restaurant in SoCal.

Some of the most caring multi millionaires I knew.

It sure made me look at my life and think, damn what the hell did I just do with the last ten years of my life...lol.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #68

Most people I know ask about the time issue. "What will you do if you don't work". I always say I have a big imagination, I can think of 12 things each day I'd rather do than work.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #69
gone traveling

I retired at age 55. Most of the time, I just say retired. Other times, I say self-employed... because I do work to stay informed and stay busy managing, maintaining, and improving my personal finances, home and lifestyle.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Most people I know ask about the time issue. "What will you do if you don't work". I always say I have a big imagination, I can think of 12 things each day I'd rather do than work.

A poster on Reddit described the people who don' t know what they would do if they didn't work as suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Personally, I'm a consultant. On topics that interest me. Worldwide. Pro bono.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My neighbor said it best to me when I was working on Maui and they were next door oceanfront retired at 40. I ask what do you do? To which they respond "We manage the family's money."

Brief, frank and truthful.

What they USED To do was much more interesting... Bearing Sea fisherman meets vinyeard heiress who opened and sold a Mexican restaurant in SoCal.

Some of the most caring multi millionaires I knew.

It sure made me look at my life and think, damn what the hell did I just do with the last ten years of my life...lol.
Reminds me of a trip we took a couple of years ago to a Mexican island. We were sitting at a bar that was part of a small bed and breakfast and another patron was discussing things with the owner (an American who was in his early 40's). Eventually, he asked asked how they came to own such a fantastic place and have a great "job". The owner was very frank and said that he was fortunate to be a trust fund kid and would never have to worry about money. He and his DW hated the cold weather of their home in the states and decieded to buy the B&B/Bar while on vacation many years earlier. He didn't seem to be at all bothered telling folks that he was a trust fund "kid".
Old 11-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
He and his DW hated the cold weather of their home in the states and decieded to buy the B&B/Bar while on vacation many years earlier.
Many years ago I thought about what life might be like after jumping off the corporate hamster wheel. Why not buy or build a B&B near the most beautiful place in the world and spend my golden years allowing my lucky guests to enjoy the area? I bought a couple of books on owning/operating a B&B and decided that the only way I would enjoy this activity is if I didn't have any guests. This didn't seem like a viable business plan so I abandoned the dream. Good riddance!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:36 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

What do you do all day?

"I work full time as a monitor and poster on an on-line early retirement forum"
Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

My folks owned a summer resort for 10 years. That cured me from ever wanting to do the same. Definitely only fun if you had no guests.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #76

I'm still w*rking, at the age of 48, and while I had been thinking 50-51 would be my retirement range, I might fall into the one more year trap. So, who knows; I might get to the point where, by the time I DO retire, it won't be all *that* early, anymore.

Anyway, I can still remember back in 2013, I was really getting fed up with my j*b, stock market was doing great, and I briefly thought about throwing in the towel. At the time, I remember a lot of people on this forum said that they'd simply answer something vague such as "consultant", "financial planner", etc when the "what do you do?" question came up and they didn't want to actually say "retired".

Well, someone asked me what I did for a living, and I lied and said "financial planner", and remembered getting a dismissive, judgemental sort of response like "Oh, so you make money for other people? I want to make money for MYSELF!"

Before I moved, I had been living next door to one of my relatives, an older lady in her 90's. I've been taking off Wednesdays now, for almost two years, and a day here and there on top of that. Every time she'd see me around the house, she'd ask me what am I doing home? She was worried that I'd gotten laid off!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

We were at a dinner party a few months ago, a woman who knows my wife was making conversation I guess with me she said "I know what your wife does, what do you do?" I looked her in the eye with a smile and said "I fly fish almost almost everyday." She had kind of shocked look since I'm probably 15-20 years younger than her. The woman looked over at my wife who confirmed my words. We still laugh about that.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Many years ago I thought about what life might be like after jumping off the corporate hamster wheel. Why not buy or build a B&B near the most beautiful place in the world and spend my golden years allowing my lucky guests to enjoy the area? I bought a couple of books on owning/operating a B&B and decided that the only way I would enjoy this activity is if I didn't have any guests. This didn't seem like a viable business plan so I abandoned the dream. Good riddance!
Well, it didn't appear that the owner and his wife did much more than lounge by the pool and drink beer. The staff seemed to really do all the actual w*rk, but even if that was the case, I wouldn't want the hassle of it. The pool and beer and lounging? Well, of course...hell, I do that now.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I learned a long time ago that people will think what they want to think.

So why bother with all the nonsense and just say you are retired.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you do?
“About what?!”

You look too young to retire. What do you do all day?
“Yeah, it’s rough. My calendar has Golf on Tues and Thurs. Bowling on Wed. I usually hit Happy hour on Friday. Calendar is as full as it ever was working for the man.”

Or “Mon-Sat, nothing really. Sunday I rest.”
oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote