In crime- under chairs and behind tables
Connecting- to places we have known
(I'm looking for a)

Home- where the wheels are turning
Home- why I keep returning
Home- where my world is breaking in two
Home- with the neighbors fighting
Home- always so exciting
Home- were my parents telling the truth?
Home- such a funny feeling
Home- no-one ever speaking
Home- with our bodies touching
Home- and the cameras watching
Home- will infect what ever you do
We're Home- comes to life from out of the blue

Tiny little boats on a beach at sunset
I took a drink from a jar
And into my head
Familiar smells and flavors

Vehicles are stuck on the plains of heaven
I see their wheels spinning round
And everywhere
I can hear those people saying

That the eye- is the measure of the man
You can fly- from the stuff that still surrounds you
We're home- and the band keeps marchin' on
Connecting- to every living soul
Compassion- for things I'll never know

‪Brian Eno & David Byrne - Home‬‏ - YouTube

Lived in Chicago and its suburbs all my life except for college (WIU-Macomb).

Don't you readers think that it is odd that this person is the only one posting who lived in the same general area all of his life?

I expect his experience to be the norm, not the exception. I wonder why I expect this?

I agree with one poster who said that home is more about people than places.

DW and I grew up in W. Pa. We have lived all over the US. We are back in W. Pa. because family is near by.

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."
Robert Frost

Like many other posters here I have moved many times and have lived out side the county and in 5 states so far. I am in my 9th house; all purchased, add to that 10 other rental places. Home is where we believe we are the most comfortable in the community. DW loves where we are now...me not so much..it is home only because we choose to make it our home. But, I would move in a minute to try out another area in the West where more of the thinks I want to do are located.

We rv'ed for 3 years but no full time so our view of America was short-lived and not as in-depth as I would like to have done. Maybe in a few years we will do it my way and stay on the road for 5 years without a stick house to worry about.

“Home is where you hang your head”

Groucho Marx. ;)

Don't you readers think that it is odd that this person is the only one posting who lived in the same general area all of his life?...

Aside for a 2 year bachelor apartment stint 25 miles away and 30 plus years ago, I have lived my entire life in a town of 3000 people. Moved once across town while growing up, attending local schools. Commuted to college 25 miles away. Moved once (a block away) since DW and I married 30 years ago. All of our close relatives live within 10 miles. We've visited several places, but I don't think we'll ever leave - this just feels like home.

I wouldn't move back to my hometown for a million bucks. Well, maybe a million bucks... :cool:

Then I'd immediately move!

Moved to Tejas for work 28 years ago, and mostly like it here, if one can disregard the ungodly summer heat; but I'm subject to move in retirement, if the urge strikes. My dad and son lives nearby, and my SO lives here, but she hates the heat, too.

I know this sounds corny, but to me home is where DH is. We married young and have been together nearly 37 years.

Certainly not corny at all. A couple of young ladies asked me the same question and I answered exactly as you did (we have been together for 25 years). The 2 ladies were so touched by the answer because it came out spontaneously. So, until today, home is still where DH and I are together. The country, city or building is just the structure.

Murrysville is one of the reasons that I joined the Navy...

It ain't too bad to pass through. I was there last week to have m skates sharpened. Best skate dude in 30 mile radius, ---- of Delmont.

It ain't too bad to pass through. I was there last week to have m skates sharpened. Best skate dude in 30 mile radius, ---- of Delmont.
Eh, you inspired me to check whether Export was still in existence...

I don't know who said it first but "Home is the place where, when you have nowhere else to go, they have to take you in."

That being said I've spent most of my life within 100 miles of the place I was born. DB still lives in the small town (pop <50) nearest to the farm I grew up on. When I go there, everyone knows who I am even though I left 40 years ago.

Now, home is the city (80 miles from my birthplace) that DW & I have spent the last 40 years in. It's home because one kid and 80% of our close friends live here.

I traveled a bit growing up in a military family and enjoyed living in different places. Our family was small and I only knew a few relatives. It wasn't until about 40 years ago that I settled in Florida to be with my folks and help them as they grew older before they died. Home was always where ever family was. Home is where ever my wife is and it looks like we will be staying where we are.

Cheers!

DW/me have lived for 60 years (thus far) within 20 miles of our "birth homes".

I know that it is an unusual situation (as compared to most), but the fact is that many of our generation (along with our children) still remain in the area.

We're 90 miles West of NYC, 50 miles North of Philadelphia, so we would be considered as "bedroom communities" to both areas, well in commutable distance (as I have done).

While we have traveled all over the US, along with many foreign locations (with my DW/me living in Florida, and me in Texas, during my military time), we still returned to our "birth place".

I'm sure it's not for everybody, but it is for us - and suits our needs for a good life.

BTW, since both my, and my DW's grandparents went through Ellis Island, I'm glad that they made a home not 100 miles from where they first landed, in this country...

I have lived in Maryland all of my life, but now can't wait to leave. The climate sucks with oppressive heat in summer and dreary winters. We have very high taxes with an unfriendly government. Our children are grown so we have no ties here anymore.

I have lived in Maryland all of my life, but now can't wait to leave. The climate sucks with oppressive heat in summer and dreary winters.
I used to think Pittsburgh weather was bad, and then I went to live in Annapolis.

People used to ask me all sort of questions about the town and local life. But heck, I was spending all my free time trying to get as far away as possible...

I would love to move to Hawaii, but I think it would be to far removed from my family and friends. A great place to visit though. We are moving to Florida. I now we won't escape the heat, but the lifestyle can't be beat. There is always a pool nearby or the ocean or gulf. Winters will be a pleasure! Not too far that visitors wont come often and a short hop back to MD when needed.

For us, the answer to "Where is Home?" came down to a simple answer - the place we felt most comfortable in (especially "she who must be obeyed"!). DW was from very small town rural midwest, I was from D.C. Over the course of thirty years, we have been vagabonds, living in 6 states (9 cities - some twice!), as well as foreign assignments. Only one city had enough character to capture our heart, and when it came time to return from the last foreign assignment, "The Boss" requested we return to New Orleans, as she really felt a bond with the city. BUT... the plan was to retire back to the Shenandoah Valley, which still felt like "home" to me. Katrina codified the idea, as there was NO WAY we would ever want to go through that again - especilly when older and on a fixed income. However. when I pulled the plug and entered our "practice retirement", we just never could motivate ourselves to move to the place in Va., which should have been a clue.
Then DW found a country place for sale north of N.O. When we first drove up to check out, we both went -"THIS IS IT!" and immediately knew we were home. Sort of weird, in that 30 years of planning to move to Va. went out the window in an instant. We are not (usually, bordering on ever) the spontaneous types with these kind of decisions, but we both knew it was just what we had been looking for.
We just hope that we're far enough north that when (not if) the next hurricane hits, we'll be out of the epicenter (helps to be at +100' elevation).

Like golfnut and a few others, I'm where I was born. There is nowhere else I'd want to live but we do love to travel. An old story goes something like this: A genteel elderly Charleston lady was asked why she never traveled. Her reply was "why should I travel if I'm already here." That is how home feels to me. Those of you who have had opportunity to visit our fair city understand.

DH is from NC but knew heading into this that I'd always consider this to be home. I remember my dad considered a job that would have relocated us to San Antonio or Corpus Christi back when I was about 10. At the time, I was kinda excited about the idea, but he and my mom just couldn't see leaving for something so transitory as a job. I wonder where I get that same attitude from? ;)

Most of my cousins and aunts/uncles live either within SC's borders or a handful in neighboring states. That, too, is pretty common among my peers.

Home is where you want and need it to be. I lived in Florida for a year, but it never really felt like home. Now that I have a family and friends and have been in the same town for 18 years, I feel that's home. Interestingly, where I grew up is only 15 minutes away and I never go there except to visit my parents. Tons of friends from HS are still there, but I guess I have different friends now...........

Like golfnut and a few others, I'm where I was born. There is nowhere else I'd want to live but we do love to travel. An old story goes something like this: A genteel elderly Charleston lady was asked why she never traveled. Her reply was "why should I travel if I'm already here." That is how home feels to me. Those of you who have had opportunity to visit our fair city understand.

DH is from NC but knew heading into this that I'd always consider this to be home. I remember my dad considered a job that would have relocated us to San Antonio or Corpus Christi back when I was about 10. At the time, I was kinda excited about the idea, but he and my mom just couldn't see leaving for something so transitory as a job. I wonder where I get that same attitude from? ;)

Most of my cousins and aunts/uncles live either within SC's borders or a handful in neighboring states. That, too, is pretty common among my peers.

I am definitely planning on visiting Charleston in the next year or two when we go see my aunt and uncle. Maybe this time we can meet up and go to a good seafood place.

Back
Top Bottom