Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
DW and I grew up in W. Pa. We have lived all over the US. We are back in W. Pa. because family is near by.
Murrysville is one of the reasons that I joined the Navy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I know. I hear you.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #63

Quote:
It ain't too bad to pass through. I was there last week to have m skates sharpened. Best skate dude in 30 mile radius, ---- of Delmont.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #64

Thank you DangerMouse, I could not have said it better. I agree 100% with your definition of "feeling of home".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
For us that feeling of home is created by being surrounded by good friends and having a comfortable living situation.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
It ain't too bad to pass through. I was there last week to have m skates sharpened. Best skate dude in 30 mile radius, ---- of Delmont.
Eh, you inspired me to check whether Export was still in existence...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #66

I don't know who said it first but "Home is the place where, when you have nowhere else to go, they have to take you in."

That being said I've spent most of my life within 100 miles of the place I was born. DB still lives in the small town (pop <50) nearest to the farm I grew up on. When I go there, everyone knows who I am even though I left 40 years ago.

Now, home is the city (80 miles from my birthplace) that DW & I have spent the last 40 years in. It's home because one kid and 80% of our close friends live here.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I traveled a bit growing up in a military family and enjoyed living in different places. Our family was small and I only knew a few relatives. It wasn't until about 40 years ago that I settled in Florida to be with my folks and help them as they grew older before they died. Home was always where ever family was. Home is where ever my wife is and it looks like we will be staying where we are.

Cheers!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #68
gone traveling

DW/me have lived for 60 years (thus far) within 20 miles of our "birth homes".

I know that it is an unusual situation (as compared to most), but the fact is that many of our generation (along with our children) still remain in the area.

We're 90 miles West of NYC, 50 miles North of Philadelphia, so we would be considered as "bedroom communities" to both areas, well in commutable distance (as I have done).

While we have traveled all over the US, along with many foreign locations (with my DW/me living in Florida, and me in Texas, during my military time), we still returned to our "birth place".

I'm sure it's not for everybody, but it is for us - and suits our needs for a good life.

BTW, since both my, and my DW's grandparents went through Ellis Island, I'm glad that they made a home not 100 miles from where they first landed, in this country...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in Maryland all of my life, but now can't wait to leave. The climate sucks with oppressive heat in summer and dreary winters. We have very high taxes with an unfriendly government. Our children are grown so we have no ties here anymore.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
I have lived in Maryland all of my life, but now can't wait to leave. The climate sucks with oppressive heat in summer and dreary winters.
I used to think Pittsburgh weather was bad, and then I went to live in Annapolis.

People used to ask me all sort of questions about the town and local life. But heck, I was spending all my free time trying to get as far away as possible...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I would love to move to Hawaii, but I think it would be to far removed from my family and friends. A great place to visit though. We are moving to Florida. I now we won't escape the heat, but the lifestyle can't be beat. There is always a pool nearby or the ocean or gulf. Winters will be a pleasure! Not too far that visitors wont come often and a short hop back to MD when needed.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

For us, the answer to "Where is Home?" came down to a simple answer - the place we felt most comfortable in (especially "she who must be obeyed"!). DW was from very small town rural midwest, I was from D.C. Over the course of thirty years, we have been vagabonds, living in 6 states (9 cities - some twice!), as well as foreign assignments. Only one city had enough character to capture our heart, and when it came time to return from the last foreign assignment, "The Boss" requested we return to New Orleans, as she really felt a bond with the city. BUT... the plan was to retire back to the Shenandoah Valley, which still felt like "home" to me. Katrina codified the idea, as there was NO WAY we would ever want to go through that again - especilly when older and on a fixed income. However. when I pulled the plug and entered our "practice retirement", we just never could motivate ourselves to move to the place in Va., which should have been a clue.
Then DW found a country place for sale north of N.O. When we first drove up to check out, we both went -"THIS IS IT!" and immediately knew we were home. Sort of weird, in that 30 years of planning to move to Va. went out the window in an instant. We are not (usually, bordering on ever) the spontaneous types with these kind of decisions, but we both knew it was just what we had been looking for.
We just hope that we're far enough north that when (not if) the next hurricane hits, we'll be out of the epicenter (helps to be at +100' elevation).
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #73

Like golfnut and a few others, I'm where I was born. There is nowhere else I'd want to live but we do love to travel. An old story goes something like this: A genteel elderly Charleston lady was asked why she never traveled. Her reply was "why should I travel if I'm already here." That is how home feels to me. Those of you who have had opportunity to visit our fair city understand.

DH is from NC but knew heading into this that I'd always consider this to be home. I remember my dad considered a job that would have relocated us to San Antonio or Corpus Christi back when I was about 10. At the time, I was kinda excited about the idea, but he and my mom just couldn't see leaving for something so transitory as a job. I wonder where I get that same attitude from?

Most of my cousins and aunts/uncles live either within SC's borders or a handful in neighboring states. That, too, is pretty common among my peers.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Home is where you want and need it to be. I lived in Florida for a year, but it never really felt like home. Now that I have a family and friends and have been in the same town for 18 years, I feel that's home. Interestingly, where I grew up is only 15 minutes away and I never go there except to visit my parents. Tons of friends from HS are still there, but I guess I have different friends now...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Like golfnut and a few others, I'm where I was born. There is nowhere else I'd want to live but we do love to travel. An old story goes something like this: A genteel elderly Charleston lady was asked why she never traveled. Her reply was "why should I travel if I'm already here." That is how home feels to me. Those of you who have had opportunity to visit our fair city understand.

DH is from NC but knew heading into this that I'd always consider this to be home. I remember my dad considered a job that would have relocated us to San Antonio or Corpus Christi back when I was about 10. At the time, I was kinda excited about the idea, but he and my mom just couldn't see leaving for something so transitory as a job. I wonder where I get that same attitude from?

Most of my cousins and aunts/uncles live either within SC's borders or a handful in neighboring states. That, too, is pretty common among my peers.
I am definitely planning on visiting Charleston in the next year or two when we go see my aunt and uncle. Maybe this time we can meet up and go to a good seafood place.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am definitely planning on visiting Charleston in the next year or two when we go see my aunt and uncle. Maybe this time we can meet up and go to a good seafood place.
Of course! And perhaps the boat will be running again by then. Ah, yes, the joys of boat ownership! There are tons of good seafood places, that's for sure!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #77

I grew up in In and MI and as soon as I graduated from college fled snow for Ca, then moved to Houston for a job and stayed there for 28 years, then retired to my deceased parents home in the Hill country (Why live in a big city when a town of 20k in a county of 40k will do?). Actually with Amazon and other modern versions of Wards and Sears, it can appear magically at your door in a few days. (Actually had helped my folks pick the site, because they again got sick of winter)(I think it gave them a few more years to be in Tx over MI and in Tx if it gets icy you just stay home (about once every 3-4 years it snows and every 10 or so there is an ice storm).
Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I don't think about home as being in terms of 'finding a home'...I think about 'feeling at home'. I felt at home when I was a kid growing up in a rural part of MO. I was surrounded by family members and many friends. I never once thought I would ever move away.

But fate has a way of changing plans.

We've moved several times because of employment. I've had to say goodbye too many times to friends and leave behind the houses where I lived. Even though I've lived in my current house for 17 years and like my area, I wouldn't shed a tear if I had to leave tomorrow.

I don't think I'll ever feel at home like I did when I was young.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up moving a lot but mostly to different parts of Seattle but some AZ and eastern WA. I moves often while married he loved to move and I spent probably 10 years in MI and some in Alaska, FL, CA and GA but in 1976 I told him I wasn't moving again when he wanted to leave MI. I explained I was done and we could move one time then that was it. He picked Seattle because the wages were better than CA and the cost of living lower than AL or CA and my family was here. Next time he wanted to move I just said no, if you want to go you go alone so I have been in Seattle since 1948 some and since 1976 constantly. I don't ever plan to go more than 100 miles again. Even if I lost my family I wouldn't move I love it here.

Seattle has mountains, ocean, rivers, Puget Sound. The weather is perfect today was hot at about 80 so we put an air conditioner in the bedroom. We put one down stairs last week. We love the cool summers and not so cold winters and being outdoors.

I love not needing a map to know my way around and reconnizing buildings and places and remembering the past. I might drive by a place I knew someone had lived once or a place I used to work, I never feel lost.

I took my mom to get her some licorice ice cream one day last fall and didn't tell her where we were going. We started into the neighborhood she lived in after high school and she told me she used to go to an ice cream parlor for a phosphate. When we got there she said it was the same location. I asked someone if they were there in 1944 and they said they had been. Mom said the last time she was there she didn't finish her drink because a cute sailor came in and offered to walk her and her cousin home. She knew him because he was from her town so he walked them home. That sort of thing is why I like being where things are familiar.

Now mom is 84 and I am retiring soon so shouldn't leave where she is anyhow but I wouldn't even if she moved away.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #80

Quote:
I used to think Pittsburgh weather was bad, and then I went to live in Annapolis.

People used to ask me all sort of questions about the town and local life. But heck, I was spending all my free time trying to get as far away as possible...
Nords, as part of my transfers around the midwest with megacorp, I spent four years in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh (1976 thru 1980). Without a doubt, it was the most enjoyable four years of my career. Those were great years to be living in Pittsburgh. The Steelers and Bradshaw, Pirates and Stargell, Tony Dorset at Pitt and even the Penguins were starting to come to life. Loved the golf in the area. Hated it when I got transferred out. Made great friends there that we still communicate with. Winter sucked for navigating all the hills in the snow.