Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you order your steak?
VERY RARE (a good veterinarian could save it) 4 2.94%
RARE 12 8.82%
MEDIUM RARE 57 41.91%
MEDIUM 31 22.79%
MEDIUM WELL 17 12.50%
WELL 7 5.15%
VERY WELL (possibly still on fire) 3 2.21%
DON'T EAT STEAK/DON'T EAT OUT/DON'T KNOW 5 3.68%
OTHER (for those who need this choice) 0 0%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course it is not just how well it is cooked but also the grade of beef. The lower grades at cheaper restaurants I don't think it matter how you cook it. The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.

How USDA Beef is Graded | Why Prime Steaks Are So Tender and Flavorful

Personnally, I think the chopped sirloin (shaped like a little football) with a little au jus gravy is a wonderful choice. Those went out of style in the 1970's I think. All the good hotels had it on the menu at one time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Medium-rare to medium is fine by me, but I don't eat much steak. Most of the places that fit my cheap-assed frugal nature serve steak that's mostly fat and gristle... Usually I just order a tenderloin.

Costco has good ribeyes, though.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Medium rare is my normal request but according to the "favorite steakouse" of Leonidas I actually like it medium. I want it all hot and pink!

My dad would have liked to skip all the cooking stuff and just bite the cow in the barn!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
Well done.... no pink, but still juicy.

I figured out how to use the searing function on my BBQ and I achieve the perfect results every time.
all those who eat steak are waiting for details......
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I like some pink, so I order medium. I don't want my steak quivering on the plate or dressed for a funeral.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Warmed to body temperature so I can pretend it's fresh kill.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess they also called it a Salisbury steak and it was usually at the bottom of the menu, but always delicious if you weren't too much of a high brow to order it.

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UMasXZAkbgg/SdWHP6NibvI/AAAAAAAABYw/WcPYf1n6ayk/s400/Salisbury+Steak+April+2nd,,+2009+4.jpg
Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

How do you order your steak?

With my voice. Pantomime does not work well in this situation.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
How do you order your steak?

With my voice. Pantomime does not work well in this situation.
That depends I guess...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

For safety's sake, I order it well-done. Otherwise, I'd order it moo-rare. Am I overly concerned?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
For safety's sake, I order it well-done. Otherwise, I'd order it moo-rare. Am I overly concerned?
Yes..if you are ordering a full cut of beef.

If it's ground, I'd want it cooked at least medium well.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
...The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.
This is going to sound strange coming from a NYer, but the NY strip is the least favorite cut of mine. I find it to be too dense with little marbling and sometimes a little tough compared to a nice ribeye or T-bone or sirloin...now we're talking about tender cuts!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't remember the last steak I ordered in a restaurant. The last time I ate a steak...as in slab of meat on a plate...was at a friend's barbecue last month. I crave red meat every once in awhile and will pick up a small steak and broil it in my stove grill pan with a meat press on top. I eat it in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion. Or, I might slice it thin and stir fry it with lots of vegetables and a side of steamed brown and wild rice. I get several servings with this method.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
That depends I guess...
Hmmm......wait a minute. Uh oh....that really would be show n tell!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I am not sure I understand the issue. Safe from the problem of what to do if the steak is not cooked right, i.e., one can duck these issues with well done steak orders? Or safety issues? I don't think I am aware of any safety issues with steak except mad cow disease.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course it is not just how well it is cooked but also the grade of beef. The lower grades at cheaper restaurants I don't think it matter how you cook it. The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.
USDA Prime in the quality steaks-strip, porterhouse, rib costs $24/# and up in a supermarket or butcher shop which sells it. I don't think you can touch this kind of steak in a restaurant unless you pay twice what you suggest.

Ha
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I rarely order steak in a restaurant. It's soooooo easy to grill steaks, so I do my own. I only order steak in a restaurant if the restaurant is known to do steaks right - really right. I absolutely loath a charred/black-marked outside of the steak no matter what color the meat is inside - horrible bitter taste. Too many restaurants do just that!

At home I probably eat closer to rare than medium rare - take off grill at 135 degrees internal temp.

Favorite cut - probably rib-eye. I'll buy "natural beef" or grass-fed when I find it, otherwise buy rarely. Occasionally I find a bison rib-eye, those are pretty awesome.

Audrey

P.S. It's ground beef you have to sorry about - medium on a burger is (I think) good enough to kill e-coli. (OK someone above suggested medium-well) For steaks, the outside of the meat is exposed to enough heat that external bacteria are killed, so the internal temperature can be much lower and still be safe.

No heat is high enough to kill mad cow disease thingies (prions?). Cows in the US are now slaughtered at 2 years max age which appears to protect our meat supply. That's the best I know at present.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess they also called it a Salisbury steak and it was usually at the bottom of the menu, but always delicious if you weren't too much of a high brow to order it.

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UMasXZAkbgg/SdWHP6NibvI/AAAAAAAABYw/WcPYf1n6ayk/s400/Salisbury+Steak+April+2nd,,+2009+4.jpg
I used to love these kinds of good, filling food back in the day. Liver and onions, fried chicken livers, chicken fried steak, baked chiclen with white gravy, Salisbury steak. Here's one from the history books, and also a regional specialty-"city chicken". Anyone recall that one? It was my favotite lunch in high school.

Ha
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I chose medium rare on the poll, but in a quality steakhouse I choose rare. Just like I do with tuna in a decent seafood restaurant.

Leonidas list appears to be pretty accurate. However, when I was in Cattlemen's in Ft Worth (7-8 years ago), they had a sign with the same list, except under Well Done it said Burnt, Dry, and Tasteless.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I like some pink...
Yeah, Dawg, we've all seen that picture...