How do you order your steak?

How do you order your steak?

• VERY RARE (a good veterinarian could save it)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • RARE

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • MEDIUM RARE

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • MEDIUM

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • MEDIUM WELL

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • WELL

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • VERY WELL (possibly still on fire)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • DON'T EAT STEAK/DON'T EAT OUT/DON'T KNOW

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • OTHER (for those who need this choice)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thanks Cash-Flo. Just goes to show how important geography is. Here, regular run of the mill USDA Choice at Safeway or the Kroger affiliate is often the price you mention of $12-$13/#. Sirloin is less, tenderloin more. Even micro-geography matters. Ten mies into the suburbs it might cost a dollar or two less, but with gas overall I would lose.

Around here, best supermarket deal hands down is pork tenderloins. at ~$4.99. Love to slice them 3/8" or so and sauté with mushrooms, onions and garlic and maybe green or sweet red peppers. :)

Ha

Yum, sounds good. Pork is the best buy of all the meats. I have some great pork tenderloin recipes. Tends to be a little dry if you are not careful though, but sounds like you got it down good.

Yesterday I browned some seven-bone steak and threw it in the slow cooker with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Served over brown rice -- very good. Like pot roast.

----------------

As kids, we'd almost always eat some raw ground beef before making the hamburgers. Tasted great.

Yesterday I browned some seven-bone steak and threw it in the slow cooker with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Served over brown rice -- very good. Like pot roast.
This is exactly what I do with my leftover steak or prime rib. Yummy! :D
I kick it up by adding some canned shiitake mushrooms for the last half hour. Heavenly...:rolleyes:

I picked medium rare on the poll; but, much like Leonidas, my order depends on where I am eating (both the quality of steak house and the geographic location). But, my experience has been just the opposite of what Leonidas stated: MEDIUM RARE usually gets me exactly what I want at a nice steak house in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. But, in many cheaper steak houses around the country, the same order results in a steak that is overcooked for my taste. So, I order RARE in those cases.

I have made a bit of the same concession to health concerns as Al: I used to order my steaks rare or extra rare; but, sometimes this did not produce a char over the entire outside of the steak.

I have made a bit of the same concession to health concerns as Al: I used to order my steaks rare or extra rare; but, sometimes this did not produce a char over the entire outside of the steak.
I'm not sure where the danger is in eating a rare steak. I wouldn't eat undercooked ground beef, or pork, chicken, etc., but steak should be fine rare. Some meatpackers inject fluids and flavoring in steaks, and I think that a rare steak treated that way could be dangerous if clean and safe handling procedures aren't practiced. The exterior of a steak can get something on it, but unless it's punctured with a contaminated utensil it should be fine as long at the exterior is exposed to a good heat.

Although I like my steaks a little more done, my preference in prime rib is reddish-pink and juicy.

Leonidas,

My health concerns about very rare steaks may be purely unfounded. But, without seeing a good char on the entire exterior of the steak, I am never sure that exterior got hot enough long enough to kill any nastiest that might be lurking on it. Basically, I just feel more comfortable if I can't see any pink/red before I cut the steak.

All this talk of steak made me hungry. So, I grilled me a nice 9 oz. steak (charred on the outside; barely warmish on the inside) for lunch today pairing it with a spinach salad and a glass (okay, maybe it was two) of a fantastic Chambourcin from Missouri.

Now, I'm sleepy, full, and happy.

I can't remember the last time I ordered steak of any kind at a restaurant. I haven't found one yet that can cook it as well as I can myself!

I go to the neighborhood butcher shop a couple blocks from home, and get prime ribeye, cut to my specs (about 1 1/2" to 2" thick). Then I lightly season with my own blend of spices, and grill 'em over a hot charcoal fire 'til they're rare to medium-rare. Add a bunch of sauteed 'shrooms, a big honkin' baked 'tater with LOTSA of butter, and a nice garden-fresh salad....Yummmm!

I do steaks on the grill about once a month, year round. It's never too hot or too cold to fire up the home-brew charcoaler!!! If it's been killed, it's meant to be grilled!!! :cool:

I can't remember the last time I ordered steak of any kind at a restaurant. I haven't found one yet that can cook it as well as I can myself!

I go to the neighborhood butcher shop a couple blocks from home, and get prime ribeye, cut to my specs (about 1 1/2" to 2" thick). Then I lightly season with my own blend of spices, and grill 'em over a hot charcoal fire 'til they're rare to medium-rare. Add a bunch of sauteed 'shrooms, a big honkin' baked 'tater with LOTSA of butter, and a nice garden-fresh salad....Yummmm!

I do steaks on the grill about once a month, year round. It's never too hot or too cold to fire up the home-brew charcoaler!!! If it's been killed, it's meant to be grilled!!! :cool:

ummm, sounds delish!

R

Hi there Goonie! Long time no post. Start a new thread and tell us where you have been.

I used to like my steak very well done as a kid. But if the meat is really top quality, I now prefer it medium to medium well. I also love Carpaccio (raw slices of beef served as appetizer).

What time is dinner? ;)
You ring the bell, I'll salivate. :LOL:

I'm so there with you Goonie! That's very much what I do (gas grill though). The only places I have ever had a better steak than I can grill are places that are unique in their approach. We visited an Argentinean steakhouse once that I thought was exceptional for their steaks. Another restaurant did some kind of pan-searing of a thick-cut steak then oven-roasting that was just awesome - something I can't do in the motorhome since I have neither the venting nor the proper oven.

Audrey

+1

:clap:

I voted rare because that is the way I used to order BUT

these days I cannot afford to buy even the select (below choice) grade of steak to cook at home let alone go out for the prime stuff.

Back
Top Bottom