Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you order your steak?
VERY RARE (a good veterinarian could save it) 4 2.94%
RARE 12 8.82%
MEDIUM RARE 57 41.91%
MEDIUM 31 22.79%
MEDIUM WELL 17 12.50%
WELL 7 5.15%
VERY WELL (possibly still on fire) 3 2.21%
DON'T EAT STEAK/DON'T EAT OUT/DON'T KNOW 5 3.68%
OTHER (for those who need this choice) 0 0%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

How do you order your steak?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
gone traveling

How do you order your steak?

The thread about restauraunts undercooking/overcooking steaks made me wonder what the distribution of orders would be in the FIRE population. DW likes hers rare, I am a medium-to medium well guy. Whenever we entertain or eat out with friends, it seems the men usually like theirs a little more done than the women?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done.... no pink, but still juicy.

I figured out how to use the searing function on my BBQ and I achieve the perfect results every time.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rare but not mooing.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Administrator

Want me to add a poll to the thread, Westernskies? It might be easier to see the percentages then...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I liked the suggestion of one post, "A little pink in the middle, whevever that means to the cook". In other words, medium or medium well.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Want me to add a poll to the thread, Westernskies? It might be easier to see the percentages then...

I thought I had included a poll....
Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I thought I had included a poll....
I don't see it - - what do you want,

Rare
Medium Rare
Medium
Medium Well
Well Done

?? I can edit it to add whatever categories you want.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I had a good friend who like to tell the waiter/waitress, "Just wipe his @ss and run him in here".

Per the Wikipedia definitions, I like it in the meduim/medium well range - slightly pink on the inside.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #9

I order mediam well.

What I mean is pink in the center or better. Red in the center is not okay with me and I will usually ask to have it cooked a bit more. Cooked more than that is okay with me, even up to well done, so I never have to send anything back because it was overcooked.

I've heard lots of those kitchen horror stories, so I hope that since all I'm asking for is a few minutes of cooking and not asking for any replacement food that I'll not have to worry about foreign objects in my dinner. I did work in a kitchen for a couple years when I was in college and I NEVER saw anyone adulterate any food. OTOH, if I did I would probably have made sure they got fired on the spot, so maybe they hid that kind of behavior from me.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Medium Rare~Just like my index fund investing philosophy.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I order mediam well.

What I mean is pink in the center or better. Red in the center is not okay with me and I will usually ask to have it cooked a bit more. Cooked more than that is okay with me, even up to well done, so I never have to send anything back because it was overcooked.

I've heard lots of those kitchen horror stories, so I hope that since all I'm asking for is a few minutes of cooking and not asking for any replacement food that I'll not have to worry about foreign objects in my dinner. I did work in a kitchen for a couple years when I was in college and I NEVER saw anyone adulterate any food. OTOH, if I did I would probably have made sure they got fired on the spot, so maybe they hid that kind of behavior from me.
I worked in a big industrial cafeteria for a year in HS, had a blowhard who was always the first in line; he had to have that "first scoop of mashed potatoes" out of the steam table .. The servers usually tried to give him a bit more than he bargained for...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I like mine well done, but medium well per the wiki article would suffice. Just a hint of pink in the very center so the meat doesn't get dry. I like the seared taste on the outside and dislike the bloody taste of rare meat. Some of the most disgusting cuts of meat I have had were filet mignon cooked medium rare but had a solid 1" thick section in the middle that was still emitting tiny little moos (and lots of oozing room temperature blood).

My last steak experience was in Vegas, where they have $7 steak dinners 24/7 at a little hole in the wall place I like. Well, we actually had steak there 3x. Well done there = burnt to a crisp and dried out. Medium well = well done, no pink or very very little. The medium rare folks actually got a different cut of meat that was thicker in the z direction, and shorter in the x and y direction, so more pink/red in the middle.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #13

Medium at cut rate places like Outback (they always undercook it a little) and Medium Rare at a good steakhouse.

My favorite steakhouse has the following

Blue - Cold red center
Rare - Cool red center
Medium Rare - Warm red center
Medium - hot pink center
Medium Well - A trace of pink
Well - NOT RECOMMENDED

*All Kobe Beef is not guaranteed if ordered Medium Well or over*
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #14

As rare as they will serve it - preferably about body temperature throughout, with a little searing on the outside.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a visual link I also posted on the other steak forum.

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/ima...m-welldone.jpg

I think I have seen some restaurants with the warning that they are not responsible for steaks that are ordered well done, whatever that caveat means.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post

I think I have seen some restaurants with the warning that they are not responsible for steaks that are ordered well done, whatever that caveat means.
It means that if you are served a piece of shoe leather you asked for it.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
gone traveling

The best menu descriptor I have seen:

WELL DONE: It's your steak.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #18

Quote:

It means that most chefs and good cooks think cooking a fine piece of steak well-done is the same thing as ruining it.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Like mine medium, DH likes his a bit pinker. He ususally takes the bigger steak so it all works out well on the grill. Natch, we are purists who go for the traditional charcoal grill over those newfangled gas contraptions.

BTW Westernskies, any progress on the Tiki Bar next to your cement pond?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:

I like mine medium. Last time I was in France in March, I ordered a medium, got a blue rare (according to this link), and was sick as a dog for the next 3 days. Ever fly 12 hours when you are sick? No fun. But from what I hear (from my French colleagues) is that you never send anything back for extra cooking in France...or it comes back with even more creepy crawlies. Wonder what it would have looked like if I had ordered rare or blue rare at that joint (...wipe his @$$ and send him on out??).

R