Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavAir View Post
I retired at 62 last January, and occasionally get those questions/statements from others. I tell them that I'm not retired, that I simply had a career change and now work full-time for my wife...

Good reply. When I retired my husband got a stay at home boss.[emoji12]
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Good reply. When I retired my husband got a stay at home boss.[emoji12]
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best to say nothing.

A few times we could have commented that the person could have retired early on all the consumer debt interest that they paid over the past 25 years.

Or, that if they had invested just a bit more wisely all of the monies that they pumped into those failed get rich quick investments and ponzi schemes, and multi level marketing gigs would have allowed them to retire years ago.

Or perhaps if they kept their automobiles for six years instead of trading in trash for new trash every two or three years to keep up with the neighbours they could be retired right now.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think they know that but just don,t want to face it.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

In general (although I realize it's too late for you to use this part of my advice), it really helps to imply vaguely that you are still working in some capacity —*doing a little consultant work, for example. This keeps them guessing and if they're guessing, they're assuming you are not as well off as you may seem to be. Less room for jealousy.

Re: having a purpose in life, retirement can give you the opportunity to invest in education (including self-education) and volunteer work. Your father may be one of the people who think retiring early means living selfishly and not contributing to society. You may be able to show him that isn't necessarily true.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #66

at present, as I have let the organization know I am retiring, I get a lot of questions like 'what will you do'. I am saying, "I don't know" "nothing planned" "I'm going to decompress for a couple of years" or "I've never had a problem keeping busy". vague bland nothing answers. I don't feel like explaining we are buying a brand new house, the first new one we ever owned, and I will be busy with that and with getting to know the area to where we are moving. and re-starting up on golf again. That is all too many words. "I don't know' is my preferred answer.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a strange subset of humanity that hates a success story, and loves a failure story.

Five years ago, I was laid off at 45 from a mid-senior management post. I saw it coming, planned to go into consulting (discovered I really, REALLY hated being management, but enjoyed the paycheck,) and decided to wait for the inevitable rather than leave on my own. Sure enough, I wound up with severance and benefits that amounted to approx $85k to finance my startup period, and the summer off on top of it.

"I heard the news, I'm so sorry!" was a common reaction. "Thanks, but it's more than fine, (then I'd recount a numbers free version of the above,) so this all factors into the plan." "Gee, it's so terrible! (Ignoring what I said.) Are you going to have to sell your house? (We live in a lakefront.) Are you going to move? What does your wife say?"

A couple months later, the phone calls would come in again. "Hey, how's it going? Did you move? Are you moving? Are you selling that lake house? Tough economy, and I was just thinking of you."

Even now, I run into folks. "Oh, hey, how's it going? That was a rough time for you. Did you sell your lake house?"
OddGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddGuy View Post
There is a strange subset of humanity that hates a success story, and loves a failure story.

Five years ago, I was laid off at 45 from a mid-senior management post. I saw it coming, planned to go into consulting (discovered I really, REALLY hated being management, but enjoyed the paycheck,) and decided to wait for the inevitable rather than leave on my own. Sure enough, I wound up with severance and benefits that amounted to approx $85k to finance my startup period, and the summer off on top of it.

"I heard the news, I'm so sorry!" was a common reaction. "Thanks, but it's more than fine, (then I'd recount a numbers free version of the above,) so this all factors into the plan." "Gee, it's so terrible! (Ignoring what I said.) Are you going to have to sell your house? (We live in a lakefront.) Are you going to move? What does your wife say?"

A couple months later, the phone calls would come in again. "Hey, how's it going? Did you move? Are you moving? Are you selling that lake house? Tough economy, and I was just thinking of you."

Even now, I run into folks. "Oh, hey, how's it going? That was a rough time for you. Did you sell your lake house?"
I think this also shows the kissing cousin of LBYM. To wit, reading the handwriting on the wall about impending layoffs and/or one's own job jeopardy. LBYMr's plan all their finances, including monitoring their job status, and planning accordingly. I've been "lucky" enough to have gone through it twice. In both cases when the eventuality hit, not only was it not a surprise, but each short term job loss was but a blip on my financial situation.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
When I get the question "what do you do all day" I respond "what do you do on weekends.....I do that all the time" smile and walk

Great answer

I had two former colleagues message me on social media who I hadn't heard from in a long while.More curiosity from one ' why are you retiring they are throwing money at you'.He didn't get it. The other wanted to know how I did it.

LBYM was one of the keys for me and never felt deprived of anything. My mother was the one who said I was too young (52). My good friends are just fine with it but the only drawback is they are still working so it is weekends to socialize. I look forward to making new friends through our adventures.
World Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
how do you respond?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #70

how do you respond?

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
- Elbert Hubbard
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I had both friends and family that were on each end of the ER decision spectrum. Never thought too much about others opinions of what I decided for myself.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
If i were blessed with having a 90 year old father, i would tell him what ever made him happy. If he wants you to go back to work ,you tell him he was right, and you returned. They missed you so much they gave you a raise and 2 more weeks vacation. Then thank him for his great advice. Everyone else, who cares what they think.
+1. Great answer. I wish my father was alive. My mother died at 93 and in her later years we often did the same things as you suggested. We would involve her in many things, seek her opinion and thank her later which made her so happy and we loved it.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #73

DW just came up with her answer: "i'm going to sit around in my underwear all day and drink alcohol"

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
When I get the question "what do you do all day" I respond "what do you do on weekends.....I do that all the time" smile and walk
This is my all-time favorite answer to this question. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
DW just came up with her answer: "i'm going to sit around in my underwear all day and drink alcohol"
Sounds like a plan!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji3]
Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #77

Funny, I have noticed myself walking around in my underwear around the house a lot more. But I switched from briefs to boxers to try and be a little more respectable in case the neighbors see through my window.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #78
Administrator

My view is that if the neighbors have never seen it before, they won't know what it is. If they have, it's certainly not a big surprise.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Funny, I have noticed myself walking around in my underwear around the house a lot more. But I switched from briefs to boxers to try and be a little more respectable in case the neighbors see through my window.
Funny, I always thought you were female. How wrong I am.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #80

So I have a small circle of what I call friends. they've been my bff's for over 40 years and pretty much they are theirs is the only opinion I really care about.

I really never got any nasty comments. after I retired I pursued my love of baking and everyone has been tremendously supportive. most tell me I'm blessed to have the opportunity to work at something I love without regards to pay

ignore everyone else