how do you respond?

Funny, I have noticed myself walking around in my underwear around the house a lot more. But I switched from briefs to boxers to try and be a little more respectable in case the neighbors see through my window.

My view is that if the neighbors have never seen it before, they won't know what it is. If they have, it's certainly not a big surprise.

Funny, I have noticed myself walking around in my underwear around the house a lot more. But I switched from briefs to boxers to try and be a little more respectable in case the neighbors see through my window.
Funny, I always thought you were female. How wrong I am.

So I have a small circle of what I call friends. they've been my bff's for over 40 years and pretty much they are theirs is the only opinion I really care about.

I really never got any nasty comments. after I retired I pursued my love of baking and everyone has been tremendously supportive. most tell me I'm blessed to have the opportunity to work at something I love without regards to pay

ignore everyone else

I assume most people just think I'm an unemployed bum. Their loss. No one in my family bugs me though.

When I mention ER to people the usual response I get is how they would be bored. I often wonder if this is just said because they realize ER will never be an option for them?

When I mention ER to people the usual response I get is how they would be bored. I often wonder if this is just said because they realize ER will never be an option for them?

Probably true. But I'm sure there are plenty who would be bored. Some people simply do not hobbies or interest out side of work.

I think people that think they will be bored when retired are boring people themselves and closed minded. Maybe even afraid of something new and different. However, I am glad they are that way because it keeps them occupied at work and not in the woods or on the water...places where I like to be. My response is usually something like, "I am glad you enjoy work and it keeps you occupied". I am smiling inside when I say it and genuinely glad they are at work most days.

On another thought along this line...what do people do that are born into money and never had to work? Do they have problems with not working...since they have never been exposed to having to work for survival?

Last edited:
At the end of the day we really do not care what anyone says about our early retirement or anything else we do for that matter.

Cannot control what others will think of us so why spend even two seconds concerned about it. We smile, nod, and get on with enjoying ourselves and making plans.

I think this also shows the kissing cousin of LBYM. To wit, reading the handwriting on the wall about impending layoffs and/or one's own job jeopardy. LBYMr's plan all their finances, including monitoring their job status, and planning accordingly. I've been "lucky" enough to have gone through it twice. In both cases when the eventuality hit, not only was it not a surprise, but each short term job loss was but a blip on my financial situation.

+1. I went through it twice, too. Once in 2009 and again in 2013. Both were in late spring, resulting in the two best summers of my adult life. Thanks to my stash and LBYM habits, I worried more about finding the right job than just any job and was fortunate to land both times with more responsibility and higher pay. Attitude is everything in these situations. If you smile and have an attitude of "Oh well, I enjoyed the gig, needed a change anyway, this means opportunity, no hard feelings," it gets you focused on the future rather than useless retribution, it helps you secure your positive references, and it also confuses and disappoints those who enjoy schadenfreude. It all turned out so well twice, I have little fear of it and am actually grateful for the opportunity to toughen up, realize my value on the market, and the helpful boot out the door to better things. Feeling bullet-proof helps me do my best work, too.

Back
Top Bottom