Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

F-S-S Up with the dawn usually, bike or walk to a cafe for breakfast. (This morning it was a 10 mile ride to The Breakfast Place, big breakfast, then 8 miles home.)
DW and I have not heard of that spot yet. We will have to try it soon! It's 7.7 miles from us.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #22

I wake up any time between 5:30 and 9:00 but usually around 7:00, get a Coke and drink maybe half of it, read the local newspaper, decide if I'm hungry or not and if so what I want to eat, shower sometime in there, read some online news and if it's not a gym day or something else pressing early, log in here. "Early" is defined as before 11:00 AM.

We usually try to get to the gym before noon but don't always make it.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Up at 5:30/6:00. Make coffee. Read the paper on deck overlooking the harbor. Check email, market news, watch a little CNBC.

DW gets up around 7:30/8:00. Make our breakfast. Plan the day. Shower.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Compare and contrast the reply above with my first two hours... I cannot wait to ER

Out of bed @4:30, quick shower and dressed by 4:45. Go to kitchen, hit run on Keurig and slam a couple of Eggos into the toaster. Grab the lunch I made the night before, my PC bag, coffee and Eggos, kiss the wife and hit the road by 5:00. Drive on I35 for 42 minutes @75 mph while first eating Eggos and drinking coffee, followed by shaving with Braun electric razor listening to "The Wall Street Journal Today" on the radio. Pull into the parking garage @5:42 and make my way to the 5x5 cubicle on the 3rd floor that I will call home for the next ~10 hours with intermittent breaks for meetings and other BS.... I'm living the dream guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

I also find it unbelievable that your wife wakes up to kiss you goodbye at 5am. She must be a wonderful woman.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
DW and I have not heard of that spot yet. We will have to try it soon! It's 7.7 miles from us.
It is in the same place Sunny Street Cafe used to be. We were so disappointed when that place closed down as it was a perfect distance for us. 2 miles further down the road is a french cafe, on the right, and that is also excellent. We found the french cafe the day we turned up at Sunny Street Cafe on our bikes, ready to eat and found it closed

The Breakfast Place is very good, biscuits made fresh every day, real hash browns, excellent grits etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

First cup coffee. Set toaster for bagel, log onto optionshouse, buy Tesla call or put, depending how I feel, get up, grab bagel, spread cream cheese, sit back down, check Tesla, eat bagel, get 2nd cup coffee, sell call or put if it is +$200 or more, go potty, turn off computer, go back to sleep.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Get up 5-5:30. Surf the web for an hour. Eat breakfast and go out to play.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wake up 6:30, go back to sleep, get up at 8:30. Starting time not always consistent...
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is in the same place Sunny Street Cafe used to be. We were so disappointed when that place closed down as it was a perfect distance for us. 2 miles further down the road is a french cafe, on the right, and that is also excellent. We found the french cafe the day we turned up at Sunny Street Cafe on our bikes, ready to eat and found it closed

The Breakfast Place is very good, biscuits made fresh every day, real hash browns, excellent grits etc.
Thanks! we will certainly give it a visit soon! Even after living here since 1992, we have not really explored that end of the community much. I guess old habits are hard to break.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #30

Coffee, read news online, Cnbc , walk to the golf course.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #31

wake at 5:30, go to bathroom, take pills, make coffee, wake up sons, read news online for thirty minutes, wake up sons again, read some more, wait 15 minutes, wake up sons, take DS10 to school, ...oops 2 hours are up and not home yet.....
Old 04-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #32

T - TH I'm usually up around 6am-ish. I make a chia seed & fruit smoothie then walk 3 miles to the gym, take 2 gentle yoga classes then meet a friend for lunch. After that I walk back to the gym and take a shower/steam room/sauna. The rest of the week varies, often I am up around 7am take the dog for a walk then maybe go for a long hike, clean the house or go to the gym.

I love being retired.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Still working...

Up at 4:30ish, maybe 4:45. Shower Make coffee/breakfast Drink and eat while updating finance spreadsheet, checking personal email (sometimes work email if there is something urgent I want to get a reply back to the US on before they quit work), checking Facebook, checking air quality, checking the news and favorite websites as time allow. Download any podcast updates in the background. Leave the house between 5:30-5:45. Catch the bus between 5:45-6:00. Listen to podcasts/doze during the hour-long trip across town. In the office ready to work at 7:00 am. Should be leaving at 3:00-3:30 pm but lately I have to work late more often than not.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wake up around 7-7:30 and get coffee, check news, e-mail, forums, etc, followed by a one hour walk along the coast. Then it's on with the day.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #35

Generally, I take a shower, fix some breakfast (usually oatmeal or cereal), then make some hot tea and either read, listen to music, or check my emails. All done at a leisurely pace.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

I also find it unbelievable that your wife wakes up to kiss you goodbye at 5am. She must be a wonderful woman.
Yep, she is a keeper. Thing is, she's up because she hits the door right behind me around 5:30 am. I'm very envious of you ER guys and gals and am working very hard to get there in the next couple of years
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #37

I sleep until 9:30am unless DW is very clunky and wakes me on her way out to work. Then I often spend half an hour or more catching up on the news, an/or overnight e-mails from people in the US (I'm in France), on my tablet. By the time I'm breakfasted and showered it's often 11:30. But then I stay up until 2am most nights. This time shift has been especially handy lately since I've been working with several American co-authors.

I've always admired Americans' early-morning habits; their nearest equivalents in Europe are the Germans, and more specifically the Bavarians. One of my co-authors is in Florida, 6 hours behind me; he's often up and at his computer 15 minutes after I get out of the shower.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Wake about 7am. Do 30-60 minutes of chess training. Kiss 13 yo DD goodbye. Catch up on internet stuff.

Eat breakfast with DW and DS. Kiss 11 yo DS goodbye about 9am. Do 1-2 hours of a hobby.

Go to exercise class or walk about 4 days a week. Take shower by noon and then run errands or meet friends.

If no exercise that day and no outside commitments, shower before kids get home from school so they don't know I lounged around all day!
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Wake up 6:30, go back to sleep, get up at 8:30. Starting time not always consistent...
That certainly does account for your first two hours of the day. Time well spent, I'd say.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

How I spend my first 2 hrs of the day? It's not easy for me to answer.

Some days I would wake up at 4AM or 5 AM, could not go back to sleep, so decided to brush my teeth, then went back to bed to surf the Web, waiting for the market to open while avoiding waking up my wife. Then, I would fall asleep again, and did not wake up until 8AM.

Some days I would wake up after the market open which is at 6:30AM local time, then had breakfast while surfing the Web, trying to understand why the market opened up or down that day. Futile effort, I know, but habits die hard. Then, we would go for a walk before I started on whatever I was planning on doing, like fooling around with my loudspeakers, or rearranging or editing the MP3 files on my servers.

No set routine. It all depends on what I feel like doing that day. Sometimes I would go out for a grocery run with my wife, then come back home with the "prize" of the day, like a lamb shank or some preseasoned meats, then spend some time to figure out a new dish with it for dinner.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote