Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

tv goes on @ 7. drive to the mall (opens 7:30). walk once around (1 1/2mi). back home. coffee, paper, crossword, breakfast. then then figure out if there's chores, errands, contacts for the day, or that's enough

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I wake up at 7am ( a luxury after 35 years waking up at 5:40 am ), do a quick e-mail and BBC news check on my iPad and then spend the balance of the first two hours exercising and having breakfast.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I start out with coffee, newspaper, tv news, & computer. After that my DH and I take the dog for a brisk 3-mile walk. Come home and have a bowl of cereal, shower and head over to check on my mom for an hour or two (take her for a short walk, pay her bills, check her meds, grocery shop, etc.). My mom is 84 and has Parkinson's but still lives on her own. She's pretty awesome.....
Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Still w*rk*ing...

Wake up at 5am, cuddle w/DW for a few snoozes, then rouse to get to work. Depending on the commute, it's either the regular shower-dress-packlunch-drive, or dress-packlunchclothes-walk. I walk if the temp is 25 or higher; it's a 40min stroll through the park, under the freeway, around the creek, and up into the office park across the freeway from the house. I shower at work, as well as eat breakfast, a holdover from when I had to ride a boat to work.

The main thing I'll change when I do retire will be to not get out of bed until the sun is up...
Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Now that Iím down to working two days a week, I find I have a lot of free time after waking up in the morning (5:30-6:00). I appreciate the time, I just donít know what to do with it. So, how do you spend your first two hours of the day?
I sleep Used to get up early, even when I worked part time, but not now.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I get up at wake up o'clock (6-9am), make a coffee, flick on the computer, read ER forums, quick check of Quicken, play a few games (I'm ashamed to admit I've reached the end of the Candy Crush Saga train line since ERing), eat breakfast my wife makes me (even on days when she's working ), play with the dogs, and wave the kids off to work.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakfast, chat with wife, read the paper, walk the dog.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spouse wakes me up as she gets ready for work. I read e-mail and news. Then when sun rises I take dog for walk/run for about 90 minutes. We usually stop and chat with 4 or 5 friends and neighbors that we meet. Once back home, I feed the dog, make sure the kids get up and go to school, then my shower, then my breakfast.

Wait a minute, I think all that takes 4 hours. Then I go to work.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Compare and contrast the reply above with my first two hours... I cannot wait to ER

Out of bed @4:30, quick shower and dressed by 4:45. Go to kitchen, hit run on Keurig and slam a couple of Eggos into the toaster. Grab the lunch I made the night before, my PC bag, coffee and Eggos, kiss the wife and hit the road by 5:00. Drive on I35 for 42 minutes @75 mph while first eating Eggos and drinking coffee, followed by shaving with Braun electric razor listening to "The Wall Street Journal Today" on the radio. Pull into the parking garage @5:42 and make my way to the 5x5 cubicle on the 3rd floor that I will call home for the next ~10 hours with intermittent breaks for meetings and other BS.... I'm living the dream guys
That scenario would have me operating on about 4 hours sleep each night, which is half what I need to be sane. I am not sure any salary would be high enough for me to do what you do. What motivation to ER ASAP!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

It's now 8 am on the east coast, so I've been awake ("up" would not be precise) for two hours. A little over two years in, I'm concluding that I have no set wakey-wakey routine yet, beyond letting pooch out to water and fertilize yard and making a double- bag mug of green tea for myself, a concession to DW's Dr Oz fixation. Little bit o' lounging while contemplating what if anything needs to be tended to that day. So, first two hours? Unapologetic self-indulgent nonproductiveness, thank you very much. Note: DW joins me in retirement in September, at which point all bets are off!
Ok, it's after 8. Time to approximate productiveness. The Dude Abides!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #51

My dog wakes me up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. for his breakfast. After I feed him I check my bank app for any bills that need paying and pay them, then shower. I then get my Kindle and head off to Starbucks for my morning brew and sit and read. After I read a while I head either to the mall or to the park to do some exercise walking. I love retirement!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I sleep Used to get up early, even when I worked part time, but not now.
Ok, now that I am awake, I can now say what my morning is like. Today was very typical. Woke up to a beautiful sunrise with my wife at 7:30.....sure beats tiptoeing out of the bedroom at 5:30. Had a couple of fresh-ground cups of coffee in the courtyard as the sun came up.....trumps gulping down coffee on way to work and spilling it on my pants occasionally. 30 minute walk with our dog. Homemade granola with local strawberries and blueberries, and fresh squeezed orange juice......much healthier than pre-ER habit of no breakfast or donuts at work. During all this, had several nice conversations with my lovely wife, including one of my favorite questions - "What time are you planning on golfing today?" Watched ESPN for a few minutes, and got ready for golf.

What I DON'T do is even more important. I don't check Quicken, get on the computer, or watch the news. It is usually fluff or depressing.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Usually the CBS morning show on in the background over a couple cups of coffee and toast (or occasionally cereal) while checking email and early-retirement.org and contemplating my plan for the day.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #54

I've been up for two hours now. I started out with a cup of tea. Spent about 15 minutes straightening up the house. On the computer for an hour--looking at e-mails and reading stock-related stuff. Had breakfast while enjoying the company of the duchess of redduck. Put on my work-out clothes and will begin exercising at 9:00 in what we jokingly call the "weight room".

One of the keys for me is to get into my exercise clothes 20-30 minutes before I plan on working out. Because, if I decide to wait to get prepared for exercising, I seem to have the ability to drag out the time it takes me to start working out--often to the next day. I'm learning that being in a routine in the AM is a big help to me.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Usually the CBS morning show on in the background over a couple cups of coffee and toast (or occasionally cereal) while checking email and early-retirement.org and contemplating my plan for the day.
+1 on CBS morning show... I think they have greatly improved with Charlie Rose at the helm.. his rolodex allowed them to snag the big name interviews... I really like what they are doing in the AM. Scott Pelley does a good job for evening news. Just never could get into GMA or Today..too much fluff. Of course all of the nets and cable nets have their points of view... just have to sift through it..

My mornings are feed the critters (3 dogs), coffee, 2 newspapers, internet, treadmill for 2 miles then to the 'to-do' list for the day..

since retirement on 12/31.. have lost 18 pounds.. got a personal trainer for strength.. stopped smoking cigarettes last August after 42 years... feel better than ever.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

My "morning routine" is about 3 hours long. Not on purpose, but it has to be if I'm going to fit it all in.

I work 9-5 at a desk job too. I get up at 6am. I do some physical therapy exercises on my hip (still in my robe in the dark). After that, I let the dog out for her potty break, feed her. I start up the computer, have some coffee. I have a ton of volunteer related tasks for my local animal rescue - so that takes up about 1 hour of my time. I reply to emails, I update the website, I manage the social media sites, manage volunteers, organize events (all at home in my robe still). Currently I'm organizing a 5k trail run for next month, so that involves some task on a daily basis. I eat breakfast while I'm at the computer. Usually a hot breakfast.

So that is my morning from 6am to 8am.

8am until 9am is spent showering and getting ready for work. Sometimes I set the crockpot up for dinner, or make lunches for H and I if it wasn't already pre-portioned from last nights' dinner. Let the dog out one more time or convince her she needs to go potty once more!

I really don't have enough hours in my day. That I or simply try to pack in too much (probably the latter).

If I get to work at 9am on the dot, that is kind of a miracle.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #57

Other than Derslickmeister, all of you need to get a job instead of wasting two of your precious hours. Oh ..., sorry, I am in the wrong forum. So sorry. Ciao.

But since I am here, I wake up, take 30 mins to go to a designated place to take company shuttle, my wonderful shuttle driver then negotiates traffic for an hour, and by the time I am in my office, it'd be exactly 2 hours since I woke up. There, are you happy? Posted on a Monday before 3 cups of coffee.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Ok, now that I am awake, I can now say what my morning is like. Today was very typical. Woke up to a beautiful sunrise with my wife at 7:30.....sure beats tiptoeing out of the bedroom at 5:30. Had a couple of fresh-ground cups of coffee in the courtyard as the sun came up.....trumps gulping down coffee on way to work and spilling it on my pants occasionally. 30 minute walk with our dog. Homemade granola with local strawberries and blueberries, and fresh squeezed orange juice......much healthier than pre-ER habit of no breakfast or donuts at work. During all this, had several nice conversations with my lovely wife, including one of my favorite questions - "What time are you planning on golfing today?" Watched ESPN for a few minutes, and got ready for golf.

What I DON'T do is even more important. I don't check Quicken, get on the computer, or watch the news. It is usually fluff or depressing.
OK, now you're just rubbing it in
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... I wake up, take 30 mins to go to a designated place to take company shuttle, my wonderful shuttle driver then negotiates traffic for an hour, and by the time I am in my office, it'd be exactly 2 hours since I woke up. There, are you happy? Posted on a Monday before 3 cups of coffee.
You are in the Bay area and taking the company shuttle? You should be thankful that you do not have to run the gauntlet by the bus protesters in order to board the bus.

How long until they turn more violent and stone the bus riders?

PS. Google company buses are well-known, but I believe other companies also have private buses for employees.

Protesters Block Another Google Bus In San Francisco Ahead Of March Against Evictionsę CBS San Francisco
Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #60

Back when I was working, it was the first 2 hours of the day which were the worst. And it mattered little if it were in my full-time working years (1985-2001) or my part-time working years (2001-2008). The first hour, I struggled to wake up and eat a small , quick breakfast (cold cereal sometimes, hot cereal sometimes, frozen french toast heated in a toaster sometimes), and the tummy was not ready to accept food which only made things worse. I often had a mad dash for the train which often left me nauseous. I was just not cut out for getting up early (7 AM in my full-time years, 7:45 AM in my part-time years).

Once I got on the (LIRR) train, I almost always got a seat, but in the 2000s my ride became a PITA from all the cell phone yakkers who took over the train with their rudeness and total disregard for fellow passengers who did not want to hear their loud conversations. One loud cell phone yakker could ruin the trip of dozens of other pasengers sitting within a few rows of him.

The LIRR ride took about 40 minutes before I would have to transfer to either a NYC subway or a PATH train to New Jersey. The connection for the subway was better but the subways themselves were far more crowded. The PATH train was an easier trip because I was always boarding an empty train. At the destination end of either train, the walk to my office was pretty short so that was a wash. Still, the 25-minute part of the commute was lousy. Getting rid of the commute was by FAR the best part of retiring.

I like the first 2 hours of my day a lot more now.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote