Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is much more debatable, as many of us keep our taxable accounts with the intention of living from the income, not by selling shares. And in particular, not by liquidating the capital. So you judge will my sustainable after tax income support my lifestyle?- not what your withdrawal rate appears to be, given the explicit or assumed gradual drawdown of a portfolio. I will accept market fluctuations, but I would never accept my income falling behind my expenditures.
Also we should judge whether there will be any portfolio turnover, ever. Capital gains taxes are not just owed if you liquidate principal, but also if you reallocate principal. Is it reasonable to assume deferred taxes on unrealized capital gains will never be paid? Maybe. For individual stock holdings it is possible. For mutual funds, probably not. But in either event, holding on to investments you'd otherwise sell to avoid capital gains taxes is another way "tax phobia can keep us from making good decisions."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #42

I would htink you can either budget with pre-tax income and consider taxes an expense or simply deduct the amount of taxes you pay and budget with after-tax income. It all comes out the same in the end, it's more a matter of personal preference in terms of your own budgeting and accounting. Personally I'd prefer to use pre-tax income for budgeting and treat taxes as an expense.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Also we should judge whether there will be any portfolio turnover, ever. Capital gains taxes are not just owed if you liquidate principal, but also if you reallocate principal. Is it reasonable to assume deferred taxes on unrealized capital gains will never be paid?

Holding on to investments you'd otherwise sell to avoid capital gains taxes is another way "tax phobia can keep us from making good decisions."
You have a good point, and that is why I changed my post. I could envision this turning in to a never ending spiral which in general I prefer to leave to others.

It is impossible to make this into adequate generalizations. However, I will say that I own Exxon that derives from oil company stock owned by my great grandfather, and until 25 years or so ago I owned RJR from the same era. I currently own some issues that I bought in 1986. Usually, my taxable portfolio is ~1/2 capital gains, and I have no unrealized losses or loss carryovers. I do have a current 3% loss postion in a natural gas stock. I pay more income tax than most of the retirees in my modest income class who post here about taxes. I believe that is because I tend to make money in my portfolio. It can be done. In general I have traded my account too much. Often there is no need. When there is, you pay the tax. I consider it but do not get hung up on it. This may be changing in the future. America is a bare shadow of what it once was.

Ha
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I could envision this turning in to a never ending spiral which in general I prefer to leave to others.
True, but intelligent discussions are worth having. I know in my case this has forced me to think through something I hadn't previously considered in detail.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a tax accountant by profession (corporate), so I do track my deferred taxes on my net worth calculation, and would factor them into a SWR when I reach that day. In fact I do so, net inflation in my projections.

I use 30% as a blended fed/state rate. It might be a little high if I FIRE and get to do strategic conversions, but I am about 10 years away at the earliest and a lot could change there.