Join Early Retirement Today

How early retirees make the world a better place
Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How early retirees make the world a better place

While many are critical of those who choose to retire early, I see many benefits to society. We have more time to take care of our families, tend to engage more frequently in volunteer work, and free up jobs for those who need them more. Any other thoughts on how early retirees make the world a better place?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I know that I make a better doggie daddy than when I was w*rking.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Not as determined to run everyone else off the road just so they can get to work on time.

(I am getting seriously fed up with aggressive drivers on my way to and from work).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid has really appreciated having us at her every whim, beck, & call for the latter half of her life.

I've mellowed out considerably, no longer leaving scorched earth and piles of bodies in my wake...

If spouse and I were working then I don't know when we would have made the time to start donating to charities.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think we are better on the environment because we don't drive as much and have the time to recycle, etc.... We are good at neighborhood watching therefore crime decreases.

We are more relaxed, can sleep better and have more sex.

Mmmmm....don't know if the last sentence makes the world a better place or not....
Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It's a small thing, but I do all my shopping and errands at off peak times. When we go out to eat, it's usually M-Th. These habits reduce road and retail store congestion.

In addition, I'm "semi-ER". The work I do is as a 1099 contractor. Folks who work this way add to the flexibility of the US labor force.

I now have the time to offer feedback to retailers. Sometimes it's a complaint, often it's a compliment. Regardless, it's accompanied by details and a suggestion. I did this a lot less when I was working.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many early retirees have followed a LBYM philosophy. This often means cutting back on material goods which is much better for the environment. Some ERE's also have consciously decided not to have children which is the single best thing one could do for the planet.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Opening up jobs is a big deal nowadays. We start spending money instead of saving it. We start converting all those pensions, 401ks, IRAs, stocks, etc. into commerce infusing new money into the system without needing a job to generate it.

We travel and help travel related businesses. We probably are responsible for half the jobs in the RV industry.

Beyond the economy, we share out experience and expertise. Maybe through volunteering, consulting and contract work, blogging, forums, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We are more relaxed, can sleep better and have more sex.

Mmmmm....don't know if the last sentence makes the world a better place or not....
It definitely makes it better for us!!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
While many are critical of those who choose to retire early, I see many benefits to society. We have more time to take care of our families, tend to engage more frequently in volunteer work, and free up jobs for those who need them more. Any other thoughts on how early retirees make the world a better place?
I don't have to repress the urge to cause physical damage to people or things.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #11

I agree with many of the points already presented, but these quotes make me feel much better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've mellowed out considerably, no longer leaving scorched earth and piles of bodies in my wake...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #12

E-R frequently replaces a burned-out, tired, cranky employee with a fresh, energetic one. Then the burnout case either takes some sorely-needed time off or starts out on a new endeavor, (or maybe both, one after the other), in the process becoming fresh and energetic!

Thus, E-R results in a net gain to the world at large, of one fresh, energetic person.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We keep this forum going.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Good points made by everyone, even if they don't necessarily apply to me.

I have been able to expand my hobbies which interact with other people (many of whom are also retired) so they benefit from my participation.

Not doing my awful and sickening commute on the trains also frees up a seat on said trains for another weary commuter who may have had to stand before. That lucky(?) commuter and I will never meet, of course, but I am sure s/he is thankful for the seat.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Any time someone comes up with the "early retirement = selfish" crap, I remind them of some of these things. In particular, in an era with 17% *real* unemployment, what is selfish about giving up a job so someone who needs it more can have it?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ooh, ooh, I have another one!

We can hone our critical-thinking skills on the media's analysis of retirement finances, financial products, lifestyles, and demographic trends.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #17

We keep the brewers and vintners solvent. Those still w*rking need stronger stuff.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
We keep the brewers and vintners solvent. Those still w*rking need stronger stuff.

Yes. Product development and improvement is essential to progress. I do my part to support those endeavors. Not to excess, of course, but a glass or two a day is reputed to be beneficial, and who am I to argue?

More time to play with new toys/ideas like digital photography. I'm still in the lower part of the learning curve with it, but I enjoy doing all the darkroom stuff without having to dedicate an entire room and five figures to it.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Does this mean you don't get the urge anymore, or you don't bother to repress it?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We have the time and energy to watch local politics and keep our elected officials on their toes.