Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #61

Today's Dilbert on my desk calendar made me think of this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dilbert Retirement 1.JPG (83.4 KB, 43 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #62
Dryer sheet wannabe

Life expectancy is only a matter of probability. I believe it is fate that dictates how long a person actually live. A colleague of mine was a non-smoker, married, never touch alcohol and having regular exercise but he died unexpectedly at 55. My mom-in-law (mom of my first husband), who is a regular drinker, suffered from two chronic illness since young age compounded by diabetes, high blood pressure later in her life remains active and doing volunteer works at her church at 78. My nephew, who was only 24 and having a full life in front of her, got killed in Afghanistan while in the force without very good courses. Another friend of mine was having cancer at the liver and the doctor gave him 8 to 10 weeks at the very most. And he is only 42. So were my late husbands both of whom were having clean bill of health before they passed. So what does life expectancy means to each and every one of them- nothing.
To me, stay healthy, be happy and live life to the fullest simply making more sense than speculating on some theoretical expectancy of life. No matter how scientific.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I are now well in to our 77th year, so there's a bit of "been there, done that" in my thinking.

There came a time, several years ago, when the words "expect", and "plan"
came to have a different meaning in a temporal sense. It's no longer a map for the future, but has become a matter of philosophy. "WANTS" of all kinds are no longer "goals"... but fancies, and as such, subject to the realities of living, and the rules of chance.

We cherish the freedoms we have, and accept what we cannot change. Our happiness comes from living each day, without the spectre of disaster weighing heavily on our actions.

A while back, somewhere in this forum, I mentioned that our plan was to live til age 84 and die broke. It wasn't really a plan... just an estimate now revised to age 87...
Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

So first, as to genes... both of us have extremes in our families. Fathers died at 45 and 53, brothers died at 50 and 57, mothers died at 84 and 85.
We don't consider any of that, as lifestyles affected both extremes.

As to health... both extraordinarily strong, healthy and athletic and active in the earlier years. Much carryover of this, but also now facing the normal age related vicissitudes... arthritis, peripheral neuropathy, and the assorted periodic "old persons' problems". We no longer dwell on these things, but accordingly, do visit the doctor regularly and obey her recommendations. Naturopathy is not our choice as we face newer challenges.

Now, as to exercise... when we're ready. We walk the mall daily and in the summer, I canoe for an hour or two at a time, and ride my bike daily...
None of this as part of a regimen, but for fun only. Usually just 5 or 10 miles, but when riding with friends, perhaps 20 or 30 miles. This is in the process of change. A slow loss of strength is beginning to sap the energy, and the projects around the house, or our camp, are going from all day, to an hour or so. Replacing the seawall has been put on permanent hold, and the flower gardens given way to grass.

Travel? Even our semi annual trip back and forth to Florida has become a chore. The travel lust was satisfied in the 1980's when I traveled daily to all states, on business, seeing many of the sites along the way. Our years of living on or near the ocean and lakes and mountains, and more years of camping. Between the College/Army/Working years, we made "permanent" moves 22 times. Rural, Urban, and Organized Societies. I mention travel, only because that seems to be a major goal for many ER members. Nice when one is younger, but our preference is the comfort of home, and our own bed.

One of the interesting things about this thread, and many other threads, is that there seems to be little discussion about personal social life. Our early married life was spent in almost constant social involvement. Parties, Camping Groups, Boy Scouts (20 years) church groups, Chamber of Commerce etc. Our first 22 years of retirement were spent in the social circles of our retirement community... dances, cookouts, sports, cards, and special interest groups of all kinds. NOW... not so much. The 7PM to 1AM dances are over by 9PM for us, and the car caravans to Daytona Beach, no more. Our twice a week social group of 6 couples for dinner, is now every other week, and with a changeover in members from death or moving, not as close as before.

In short, social life is not as important as before. The literally hundreds of weekly Emails have dwindled down to a very few... mostly by choice. Facebook holds no interest, nor does texting or cellphone contacts.

In short... a major philosophical change. Certainly not for everyone. Many friends are still very, very active at age 80+, cruises, trips, daily shopping, eating out, and travelling. We marvel at this, but have no desire to follow their lead.

The single greatest fear, is the onset of dementia. Each time that exact "word" doesn't come to mind... each time the garage door is left open and every time we end up in a room and can't remember why we went there... the worry about "losing it" comes back. In the meantime, it's time to enjoy being a fly on the wall of history in the making.

Truly, Life is Good!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #64

I really enjoy your postings Imoldernu - Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
+1
Wonderful insight and you write very eloquently too!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Imoldernu, the very fact you are concerned about dementia, is probably a good reason that you are nowhere near that point. I have exhibited the same problems you are concerned about for 20 years (especially that garage door, I can't tell you how many times I drove back around the block to see if the door was shut and it always is), and I am still not even 50! Just remember its not a concern to forget where the car keys are at, it's a concern if you don't know what car keys are used for!.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
...especially that garage door, I can't tell you how many times I drove back around the block to see if the door was shut and it always is), and I am still not even 50!
Me too, but I am 56.

And though there have been a few instances, each time I drove back to look only once. I hope that was what you meant, and not that you had to drive back multiple times per occasion.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabking View Post
Here is a great recent article from NYT fitness blog on this very question.

Bottom line is that keeping fit is not likely to extend your life by much, but it will significantly shorten the amount of time you have to live with a debilitating condition, if you have or develop one.

"Typically, the most aerobically fit people lived with chronic illnesses in the final five years of their lives, instead of the final 10, 15 or even 20 years."
I took a class on aging last year from a physician from San Francisco Medical School. This was the clear message that came out of that class. The maximum lifespan for humans is about 100yrs. The goal of medicine is to decrease the number of years with debilitating illness.

So far the lifespan in my family is 82-85 yrs.

As far as planning is concerned it really matter on your comfort level of living with our without money. You could pass away with loads of money in the bank or run out before you go. I guess I would plan to have a little extra money at the end.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound

Me too, but I am 56.

And though there have been a few instances, each time I drove back to look only once. I hope that was what you meant, and not that you had to drive back multiple times per occasion.
To the best of my memory it is only one time per event. I know I look at the garage door going down, but by the time I am a block away, I have convinced myself I did not look.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Not particularly in keeping with the serious discussions, but I still like the comedian Steven Wright's take on longevity:

"I plan on living forever. So far, so good."
Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
+1 -- As a 54 year old with parents in their mid-80's, I really enjoyed your post. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 So eloquently stated, Imoldernu. I enjoyed reading your thoughtful insights and experience. I think it resonates with a lot of us - it did for me. Thanks !
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
+1 So eloquently stated, Imoldernu. I enjoyed reading your thoughtful insights and experience. I think it resonates with a lot of us - it did for me. Thanks !
Ditto.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #74
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have been running fairly regularly since the early eighties, it has helped physically and emotionally over the years. Early on there was a fellow who has since passed, Dr. George Sheehan, who ran and occasionally wrote for Runners World. I looked forward to his articles but one of his quotes that keeps me going was essentially "I want to die young, as old as possible".
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #75

Intend to keep on kicking and being healthy until the last possible moment.

Zero interest in examening in extreme or any datail, any ceiling while parked in any bed, home or hospital or hospice.

Gotta work on a good exit strategy.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately the results of a global study just published suggest the opposite: we are living longer, but with more years of ill health.

We're Living Longer, But Not All That Healthier : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Imoldernu, the very fact you are concerned about dementia, is probably a good reason that you are nowhere near that point. I have exhibited the same problems you are concerned about for 20 years (especially that garage door, I can't tell you how many times I drove back around the block to see if the door was shut and it always is), and I am still not even 50! Just remember its not a concern to forget where the car keys are at, it's a concern if you don't know what car keys are used for!.
The other day I was in locker room of local fitness center changing into my workout clothes. This facility has day-use lockers and someone was wandering about after his training session trying to recall which locker he had used to store his clothes . The very-fit looking active gent appeared to be having a 'senior moment', except that he appeared to be a senior in college. This stuff happens occasionally to everyone.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Intend to keep on kicking and being healthy until the last possible moment.

Gotta work on a good exit strategy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

- Several versions of this quote, but most are attributed to Bill McKenna, pro motorcylist
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

- Several versions of this quote, but most are attributed to Bill McKenna, pro motorcylist
The objective is not to have a well preserved fully functioning body to the last moment, rather it is the avoidance of torturing my mind with the observation of mal or non-functioning body parked, and ministered to by others for any appreciable time.

I've know several people who matched the fully used, burned out carcass thing. It is not a method I wish to emulate.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #80

+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote