Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

Retired since 8/12/05...1 year and 3 months. It's gooooood, real good.

C-T, your wife still working doesn't mean you're not retired--it just means you're probably not living off your stash yet, or not entirely anyway. I'm in the same boat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working
Old 11-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

I retired at 39 and that was almost 13 yrs ago. What a ride!!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

August 2002 along with DW.

There have been some adjustments, and we have discovered our need to travel 4 x each year to some exotic faraway place. Thanks to the good behaviour of the markets and lower spending then planned, we are now eligible for FIRE.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #24

First of January it will be 3 years. Wow, time flies. Life is good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How Long Have You Been Retired
Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
What kind of work does your wife do? Does she make so much it's hard to quit or she just enjoys work? Just wondered why she hasen't retired.
I'm not C-T either, but here's our version.

My spouse actually left active duty 15 months before I retired; she took a six-year commitment to the Navy Reserve. That expires this May and renders her retirement-eligible but she's just starting a three-year "dream billet". She's been bouncing in & out of pay billets over the last five-plus years, grossing roughly $12K-$15K/year when she was getting paid for her weekend a month & two weeks/year. (We've also gotten a few all-expenses-paid trips to Bangkok out of the job so I'm not complaining.) She enjoys the personalities she meets and she's figured out that the full-time career is definitely not for her. Lately even the part-time career has been deemed overly onerous, but we'll see how she feels about the new job. Now that Rumsfeld has decamped the activists are starting up the age-55 retirement campaign again and she may decide to hang around for 30 (until 2013) to see what happens. But when the pay billets stop and she has to drill for free, it doesn't take long for her to start whining questioning her resolve.

When she's working I surf my butt off take care of the home front, laze around hang out baking cookies and cleaning the kitchen when the kid gets home from school, enjoy those discounted lunchtime action movies at our local multiplex get caught up on all the honey-dos, and pick up Costco pizza make sure there's a wholesome & nutritious dinner on the table when she gets home from her hard day at the office. It's what supporting your spouse is all about...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

When she's working I ... enjoy those discounted lunchtime action movies at our local multiplex ...
It is interesting that I never thought of doing that. I long ago stopped going to horror flicks and low rent action flicks since DW doesn't like them. For me, on the other hand, an escape from high-brow is quite a pleasure. Lets see, where is the Post style section? 8)
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

3.5 months.

Today was a great example of "Woke up with nothing to do, and by the end of the day only got half of it done." Walked by the broken couch, and realized that there was a way I could fix it, and puttered around with it all morning (see "wood glue" thread).
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I retired 2 months apart. 4 years and 4 months for me. no regrets. Nephew and wife are down from Michigan visiting and when they tell their work stories I could not imagine being back in those environments.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I retired for 5 years- 3 months also!

Momtwo
Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired March 1, 2000. I timed the market.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
You're a brave man to say that around here...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

12 years since leaving the corporate world.

DH moved from the corporate fast lane to the non-corporate slow lane 4 years ago. He is much happier because he is doing what he really enjoys rather than being in the corporate pressure cooker. We are in our early 50's and still have one kid at home in high school. Once he graduates, DH will retire. We'll be leaving suburbia ( ) and downsizing to a condo in an urban environment. Our dream is to travel at least 4 months a year and not worry about the hassle of maintaining a house.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

7 years and 3 months. I can't believe it's been that long, it's all gone by so fast!

Audrey
Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
Yeah, but did you time it right or wrong?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

56 weeks and I agree with Audrey, the time goes really fast. This is the happiest that I've ever been, except when newly married.
Joe
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

"Retired March 1, 2000. I timed the market."

Ok, I didn't really do any market timing. That's just when I turned old enuf to retire at my old company. Had already been fine tuning asset allocation, but decided better move from about 60% to 50% equities as I rolled 401k and lump sum pension to Vanguard in March and April. Was a good move, but strictly luck of the birthday!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #37

Retired from a career job Feb 2000 at age 50 (with a 1 and 3 year old at home) hence my screen name. Did part time consulting for about 18 months, quit that as it was trending full time.

Now work in the dog days of winter, about 3 months, doing income tax returns. Rest of year don't do much except camp with boys, soccer coach, cub scouts. School crossing guard job costs me a total of one hour a day.

Really don't need either job finanacially, but gives me either a sense of having an "expertise" and in the case of the crossing guard job, easy money and they needed someone.

In my mind, I'm retired, only do what I want to do. And yes, my wife is a homemaker/PTA mom.

RE2Boys
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired 2 years and 3 months.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

We start our 17th year in January. Everyday is not a picnic, but every night is like News Years Eve...

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired in June which makes it 5 months. My DW retired a month earlier.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote