How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired

Nords said:
When she's working I ... enjoy those discounted lunchtime action movies at our local multiplex ...
It is interesting that I never thought of doing that. I long ago stopped going to horror flicks and low rent action flicks since DW doesn't like them. For me, on the other hand, an escape from high-brow is quite a pleasure. Lets see, where is the Post style section? 8)

3.5 months.

Today was a great example of "Woke up with nothing to do, and by the end of the day only got half of it done." Walked by the broken couch, and realized that there was a way I could fix it, and puttered around with it all morning (see "wood glue" thread).

Wife and I retired 2 months apart. 4 years and 4 months for me. no regrets. Nephew and wife are down from Michigan visiting and when they tell their work stories I could not imagine being back in those environments.

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

WilliamG said:
Retired March 1, 2000. I timed the market.
You're a brave man to say that around here... ;)

12 years since leaving the corporate world.

DH moved from the corporate fast lane to the non-corporate slow lane 4 years ago. He is much happier because he is doing what he really enjoys rather than being in the corporate pressure cooker. We are in our early 50's and still have one kid at home in high school. Once he graduates, DH will retire. We'll be leaving suburbia ( :D) and downsizing to a condo in an urban environment. Our dream is to travel at least 4 months a year and not worry about the hassle of maintaining a house.

7 years and 3 months. I can't believe it's been that long, it's all gone by so fast!

Audrey

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

WilliamG said:
Retired March 1, 2000. I timed the market.
Yeah, but did you time it right or wrong?

56 weeks and I agree with Audrey, the time goes really fast. This is the happiest that I've ever been, except when newly married.
Joe

"Retired March 1, 2000. I timed the market."

Ok, I didn't really do any market timing. That's just when I turned old enuf to retire at my old company. Had already been fine tuning asset allocation, but decided better move from about 60% to 50% equities as I rolled 401k and lump sum pension to Vanguard in March and April. Was a good move, but strictly luck of the birthday!

Retired from a career job Feb 2000 at age 50 (with a 1 and 3 year old at home) hence my screen name. Did part time consulting for about 18 months, quit that as it was trending full time.

Now work in the dog days of winter, about 3 months, doing income tax returns. Rest of year don't do much except camp with boys, soccer coach, cub scouts. School crossing guard job costs me a total of one hour a day.

Really don't need either job finanacially, but gives me either a sense of having an "expertise" and in the case of the crossing guard job, easy money and they needed someone.

In my mind, I'm retired, only do what I want to do. And yes, my wife is a homemaker/PTA mom.

RE2Boys

I retired in June which makes it 5 months. My DW retired a month earlier.

DW for 2 1/2 years, I had to wait until this year, but at least I got to choose my time! :'( After leaving in late March, I consented to a one-day-per-week consulting/project job which as worked out really great so far. Same rate as my peak, but I just go in Thursdays, then take a week off. :LOL: I'm there just little enough that they can't really track me too well. 8) ::) And best of all, I'm completely out of the chain of command, and it's not even really clear who I work for, so I just choose what looks interesting and do research and make recommendations.

We're are totally digging it - this FIRE thing, we think that at 51 we're in a position to enjoy the rest of our lives doing whatever the heck we want, and at our own pace, which is pretty much turtle. Hey what's the rush?

Will be RE'ed 2 years come Jan.'07 Still really can't believe it.

FIRE has to be one of the world's biggest secrets. It must be a secret because so few people understand it.

I have been retired 10 months and some days.

I am so glad I retired and I don't have any regrets, I feel so much better about most things, my life is much less stressful. My previous careers are a fading memory and only the good stories remain. I have had a medical problem, but that is under control and things are looking good again.

Life is good

Kitty

My wife still works part time because she wants to. she keeps her money in a separate account and does what she wants to with it. Therefore, I consider myself retired. It's been 9 months now, and I totally love it. Have written one book and started another. All I need is a publisher, but even that doesn't matter. It's a blast! Did I say, I like it?

setab

We stepped off the treadmill June 2003. I was 48, wife was 46.

It's been right at 8 months now. Took some getting used to at first. I actually liked what I was doing ......just didn't like who I worked for. We've stayed pretty conservative with our spending, although had a couple of unexpected expenses. So far so good though.....

Retired at 54 so it has been a year and a half and time still goes by way too fast. Never looked back and no regrets, enjoying life by the day. Just do it.

In two weeks it will be 7 years of all of the above...it's been a good run...happiest time of my life.

In two weeks it will be 7 years of all of the above...it's been a good run...happiest time of my life.

I had a good buddy ask me the other day if there had been anytime that I had been bored in retirement. I said "sure.....everyone has a bored moment or two but nothing like when I worked!" And that is the absolute truth. There were periods of the year that there was not much to do at work, certainly nothing out of the ordinary daily routine. That was boredom.

Retirement is truly good. :cool:

Before May 1, 2007 I did something else. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything prior to that date... :cool:

- Ron

Back
Top Bottom