Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor
Old 11-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

DW for 2 1/2 years, I had to wait until this year, but at least I got to choose my time! After leaving in late March, I consented to a one-day-per-week consulting/project job which as worked out really great so far. Same rate as my peak, but I just go in Thursdays, then take a week off. I'm there just little enough that they can't really track me too well. 8) : And best of all, I'm completely out of the chain of command, and it's not even really clear who I work for, so I just choose what looks interesting and do research and make recommendations.

We're are totally digging it - this FIRE thing, we think that at 51 we're in a position to enjoy the rest of our lives doing whatever the heck we want, and at our own pace, which is pretty much turtle. Hey what's the rush?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Will be RE'ed 2 years come Jan.'07 Still really can't believe it.

FIRE has to be one of the world's biggest secrets. It must be a secret because so few people understand it.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been retired 10 months and some days.

I am so glad I retired and I don't have any regrets, I feel so much better about most things, my life is much less stressful. My previous careers are a fading memory and only the good stories remain. I have had a medical problem, but that is under control and things are looking good again.

Life is good

Kitty
Old 11-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

My wife still works part time because she wants to. she keeps her money in a separate account and does what she wants to with it. Therefore, I consider myself retired. It's been 9 months now, and I totally love it. Have written one book and started another. All I need is a publisher, but even that doesn't matter. It's a blast! Did I say, I like it?

setab
Old 11-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

We stepped off the treadmill June 2003. I was 48, wife was 46.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been right at 8 months now. Took some getting used to at first. I actually liked what I was doing ......just didn't like who I worked for. We've stayed pretty conservative with our spending, although had a couple of unexpected expenses. So far so good though.....
Old 11-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #47

Retired at 54 so it has been a year and a half and time still goes by way too fast. Never looked back and no regrets, enjoying life by the day. Just do it.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #48

In two weeks it will be 7 years of all of the above...it's been a good run...happiest time of my life.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
In two weeks it will be 7 years of all of the above...it's been a good run...happiest time of my life.
I had a good buddy ask me the other day if there had been anytime that I had been bored in retirement. I said "sure.....everyone has a bored moment or two but nothing like when I worked!" And that is the absolute truth. There were periods of the year that there was not much to do at work, certainly nothing out of the ordinary daily routine. That was boredom.

Retirement is truly good.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before May 1, 2007 I did something else. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything prior to that date...

- Ron
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost two years----the best two years of my life! I finally understand how to enjoy life......
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Jan 1993 - I was layed off/canned/made redundant/filed for unemployment.

Went back for about a yr jobshopper 95/96.

Contemplated navel lint ever since.

Handgrenade wise - I'm calling it 15th yr of ER.

Heh heh heh - soooo later this summer when I hit 65 do I become an ex ER/ regular retired old phart or what. They already sent my Medicare card several months ahead and I'm getting oceans of mediacre insurance stuff?

. Once an ER always an ER or do we graduate/fade away/become a former/ex or what.?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Heh heh heh - soooo later this summer when I hit 65 do I become an ex ER/ regular retired old phart or what. They already sent my Medicare card several months ahead and I'm getting oceans of mediacre insurance stuff?

. Once an ER always an ER or do we graduate/fade away/become a former/ex or what.?
Professor Emeritus of Early Retirement....Emeritus an adjective that is used in the title of a retired professor, bishop or other professional. The term is used when a person of importance in a given profession retires, so that his or her former rank can still be used in his or her title.
This is particularly useful when establishing the authority a person might have to comment, lecture or write on a particular subject....
For example, Professor Emeritus of Early Retirement Unclemick.
Emeritus does not imply that the person must be retired from all duties of his or her previous title.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

One year today!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Professor Emeritus of Early Retirement....Emeritus an adjective that is used in the title of a retired professor, bishop or other professional. The term is used when a person of importance in a given profession retires, so that his or her former rank can still be used in his or her title.
This is particularly useful when establishing the authority a person might have to comment, lecture or write on a particular subject....
For example, Professor Emeritus of Early Retirement Unclemick.
Emeritus does not imply that the person must be retired from all duties of his or her previous title.
Whoa! I don't want to get stuffy in my old age or give up my Curmudgeon Certificate!

Crotchety yes/stuffy no.

heh heh heh - .
Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

At 2:00 PM this afternoon it will be one day! Sort of new at this ... So far, so good!

t.r.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #57

DW 8 yrs, 2for me. I'm still getting the hang of it.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
At 2:00 PM this afternoon it will be one day! Sort of new at this ... So far, so good!

t.r.
Congratulations, TeeRuh!!!

I have minus seventeen and a half months (minus 525 days) and can hardly wait.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post

t.r.
Ahhhh, so that's why I had that second frosty drink last night....a toast to you!

Nine and a half years for yours truly.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #60

1 July 2002. Had to think about it for a year before actually retiring. Spent a couple of years in decompression, I didn't realize what the stress level was until it was gone.

The main project this week is a FIL's house, he has had a water problem in the basement and finally decided it was time to do something about it - with some encouragement from DW. Took out old floor tile, mouldy drywall and some paneling, next is the framing, I guess we'll have to rent a truck to get rid of it since it would take six-eight trips in my pickup.

New sump pump is next, figuring out how to get rid of the mold on the cinder block walls, then paint - maybe - and new floor tile.

All this is so much easier than fighting crime, corruption, the forces of evil and displayers of expired registration plates.