Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working
Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

When I first did it, I counted in days, then weeks and months...now it's in years.

I'm still enjoying it! Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da

5 years 6 months...

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired
Old 11-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm still a newbee - 4 months and 14 days. I find that i am evolving in a positive way and feel feel stress free (almost) all the time. Especially in the current market condition!

Don't miss anything about the career - I thought I would......nope!

Several ski resorts opened this week 8)
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #3

I've been unemployed now for 5 years and 3 months. - I'm not retired because my wife still works.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #4

Semi since 1993. Drew my last paycheck in June, 1998.

JG
Old 11-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #5

Since 1979 with some short stints of working at stuff I wanted to do. Officially, not "working" at anything (no entry on line 7, 12 or 17 of IRS Form 1040) since 1990. DW has been retired since 1986. Since retiring we have spent 9 years in Virginia, 19 in Florida, on 2d year of maybe 5 in Ohio, and then we have to get to work on picking the next place.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

December 30 2004.

The memories are fading.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Wor

Going on two years -- January 05. Despite with CT says I consider myself retired even though DW is still working. She can quit anytime but chooses not to. That is her choice, this is mine. 8)
Old 11-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #8

Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working

See below.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I've been unemployed now for 5 years and 3 months. - I'm not retired because my wife still works.

What kind of work does your wife do? Does she make so much it's hard to quit or she just enjoys work? Just wondered why she hasen't retired.

As for me, I'm still in the working womb. I'll let y'all know next spring how retirement is going.
Re: How Long Have You Been Retired, UnEmployed, Footloose Fancy Free and Not Working
Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #10

I taught my last class in June 1997.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #11

I'm still working on figuring out when to retire. I still enjoy certain aspects of the work that I do, but I don't really need the money. I'm trying to figure out how I can enjoy the challenge and comraderie without feeling the work constantly hanging over my head.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

4.5 months of full time ER. It's gone by in a flash. One Canadian fishing trip. Two Minnesotan fishing trips. One Wisconsin canoe trip. More time with family, especially my little challenged grandson. More time with friends. I'm sure glad the market is doing well since I've been paying to have projects done that I planned on doing myself......too busy playing. ER is really, really good.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1 June 2002.

I really don't understand how I ever found the time to work...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #14

4 weeks. It is finally starting to feel like retirement instead of a vacation.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #15

A little over 6 months. Have not missed work at all. Have enjoyed the unstructured time immensely. No plans to do anything ambitious until next year.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
What kind of work does your wife do? Does she make so much it's hard to quit or she just enjoys work? Just wondered why she hasn't retired.
The question was directed to CT but I will answer with respect to my wife. Number one - she likes what she does. She would like to cut back to part time and possibly get on a couple of boards so she can keep her finger in the field while doing more traveling, etc. Number two - she is overly concerned with sustainability in retirement. She makes a lot of money (partner in a law firm) but has a hard time wrapping her head around how much lower our expenses are than our income. She will not be truly comfortable until we have DD out of college (one more year) and the nest egg (which we continue to furiously fund) is well over what Firecalc says we need to sustain our lifestyle and then some. All of this would be good news to the kids if they were paying attention to what it means for them when we kick the bucket. The reality of our situation is that she could have retired when I did two years ago without a hiccup in our lifestyle.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Jan 1993 - except for one year temp work - 95/96ish.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #18

October 2, 2005 for us.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
What kind of work does your wife do? Does she make so much it's hard to quit or she just enjoys work? Just wondered why she hasen't retired.

As for me, I'm still in the working womb. I'll let y'all know next spring how retirement is going.
She has more expensive taste than I do!

She's in Marketing for an Insurance Company, she works about 2 blocks away (she walks in the summer) and the boss is located on the east coast.

And she's 8 years younger than I am.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

And she's 8 years younger than I am.
Cool. Always better to have a young babe. 8)