Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
What I would really like to answer to "What do you do?" is "Anything I damn well want!" but somehow that does not work socially.
I've found that a "Not much!" response, along with a simile, goes over reasonably well...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Sounds like you could be a regular George Castanza "I'm an architect!"
Or Marine Biologist

Old 03-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've found that a "Not much!" response, along with a simile, goes over reasonably well...
Do you always use the same simile?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #44

I'm an engineer, even when I'm not at work. It's how I think, it's how I analyze and even when I ER that part of my personality will not change.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Or Marine Biologist
Well, I wouldn't want to be in the situation the George was as a marine biologist, so I would stick to architect.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #46

Just last week at the barbershop a guy asked "What do you do now that you're retired?"

My response was "As little as possible!"

I later allowed that I do some dabbling in photography.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
mmm

So how long did it take you to go from being "I am a banker/lawyer/plumber/mechanic/accountant/teacher" to "I am Betty/Joe?Rashmi/Vladimir/Julio/Patience"?
Immediately. I threw away my computer books and never looked back...
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

When I say I'm retired, people just assume I inherited a lot (which I didn't). Mostly lbym and a little luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired five years and still ID with my profession.
My handpicked successor called me today for advice.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I agree that the topic of former occupation is a good conversation starter. People really are interested and interesting themselves, if you ask them - it goes both ways.

Not always. Yes, it's a convenient conversation starter, but I find it all very tiresome. I worked a large part of my career as a marketing executive for a large, well known company. As soon as I told people this, the conversation would immediately stray to the other person's opinion of my company and it's products, often negative, certainly uninformed. I got tired of talking about it as much as any other small talk. It's not where I am in life now and I'd rather talk about the here and now.

Now I make a point of telling the other person I'm retired, and since I am relatively young, this usually surprises the other person and this often leads to far more interesting and topical conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
As soon as I told people this, the conversation would immediately stray to the other person's opinion of my company and it's products, often negative, certainly uninformed. I got tired of talking about it as much as any other small talk. It's not where I am in life now and I'd rather talk about the here and now.

I can understand that this might happen. I'd probably conclude that this person has poor manners/social skills and wouldn't be inclined to include them in my circle of friends.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #52
Administrator

Even though I haven't actually done it in nearly 30 years, I'll always be one of the "steely-eyed killers of the deep."
Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I always say "retired librarian" Im proud of the fact that I was a librarian and still have the skills!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #54

I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society.

What stymies me is what to say to anyone who asks what I do with my time. I do so many things, from posting here, to reading investment information, to gardening (not yet started this year), cooking healthy food for myself and DH, to making music, and I'm trying to get into a good workout routine. That just is not an interesting answer, and it's way too long.

Perhaps the answer should be, "Everything I've wanted to do but never could find the time to do."
Old 03-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society...........
When I was a kid, we had a neighbor that introduced herself as Mrs. Dr. Smith
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society.
At the beginning I thought that too. But with two years of ER under my belt, I know that the most important people in my life don't think any less of me because I am retired. My self worth does not depend on my former profession. If the question comes up, I say I am retired. If someone specifically asks "what did you do?" I say I used to be a physician.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Having worked in the medical field and having had 30 years of people in social settings going into a litany of what ails them and any and all family and friends when they discover my profession, I think I will avoid bringing up my past profession! I can think of more interesting things to think about than your bowel habits or your neighbor's brother' surgery!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

One nice thing about living in a retirement community is that no one talks about work!

I'm expecting the question to come up when we join a tour group. I haven't yet decided how coy to be with the answer.