How long was it before you stopped identifying youself with your profession?

As soon as I told people this, the conversation would immediately stray to the other person's opinion of my company and it's products, often negative, certainly uninformed. I got tired of talking about it as much as any other small talk. It's not where I am in life now and I'd rather talk about the here and now.

I can understand that this might happen. I'd probably conclude that this person has poor manners/social skills and wouldn't be inclined to include them in my circle of friends.

Even though I haven't actually done it in nearly 30 years, I'll always be one of the "steely-eyed killers of the deep."

I always say "retired librarian" Im proud of the fact that I was a librarian and still have the skills!

I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society.

What stymies me is what to say to anyone who asks what I do with my time. I do so many things, from posting here, to reading investment information, to gardening (not yet started this year), cooking healthy food for myself and DH, to making music, and I'm trying to get into a good workout routine. That just is not an interesting answer, and it's way too long.

Perhaps the answer should be, "Everything I've wanted to do but never could find the time to do."

I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society...........

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor that introduced herself as Mrs. Dr. Smith :LOL:

I don't think I'll ever give up saying retired physician; it's one of the most prestigious occupations in just about any society.

At the beginning I thought that too. But with two years of ER under my belt, I know that the most important people in my life don't think any less of me because I am retired. My self worth does not depend on my former profession. If the question comes up, I say I am retired. If someone specifically asks "what did you do?" I say I used to be a physician.

Having worked in the medical field and having had 30 years of people in social settings going into a litany of what ails them and any and all family and friends when they discover my profession, I think I will avoid bringing up my past profession! I can think of more interesting things to think about than your bowel habits or your neighbor's brother' surgery!

One nice thing about living in a retirement community is that no one talks about work!

I'm expecting the question to come up when we join a tour group. I haven't yet decided how coy to be with the answer.

Back
Top Bottom