Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Uh, yea. If you could just put a cover sheet on all future TPS reports Amethyst. That would be great.
And make sure to copy me on those. Weekly.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

It occurs to me that my path largely coincided with my joining this place. It was about 6 months before I actually quit but the "buckle your seat belt" sign came on.

I knew I was going about 5 years prior. Everyone was very nice but surprised when they learned at the time the path came.

What's interesting is how you manage after landing. That was when I found people's experiences here and elsewhere especially useful.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've found that reading this forum has been very helpful in easing the transition to ER. Without it, and without other reading on ER, I think it's easy to feel alone with the project, as if you are on some solitary and strange journey. The people around me certainly don't talk about it -- everyone is worried about budget cuts and talking about working until they are old and grey (some already are).

I find it very encouraging to come here and read about ER. It is a good reminder that ER is not just some pipe dream or dangerous choice, but something a lot of people have done, successfully and happily. I find that boosts my morale.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Interesting. My glide path ends next year and it's like I'm already semi-retired. I could probably retire now but I'm too damned paranoid. In a way, it's like I have an internal attitude of a temp. Helps that I have every other Friday off and take 1-4 mental health days off a month (much vacation accrued). Also helps that I'm way overqualified for my position so I add a lot of value just by opening my mouth. Meanwhile, the focus is completely on life after ER, not anything to do with my current work. The idiots, boobs, political stuff I not only don't respond to, I don't even acknowledge. No, I'm not unenthused, I'm uninvolved. I'm in the job, just not of it.
This sounds very familiar. And, a good place to be to until ER.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I've found that reading this forum has been very helpful in easing the transition to ER. Without it, and without other reading on ER, I think it's easy to feel alone with the project, as if you are on some solitary and strange journey. The people around me certainly don't talk about it -- everyone is worried about budget cuts and talking about working until they are old and grey (some already are).

I find it very encouraging to come here and read about ER. It is a good reminder that ER is not just some pipe dream or dangerous choice, but something a lot of people have done, successfully and happily. I find that boosts my morale.
My feelings exactly! I glide out in less than 76 days. I'm working/planning to make it an easy transition for those who remain. I'm hearing 70 is the new 65 and people are should retire at that age (70). That's when I wonder if I'm during the right thing....going at 63. Thanks to this forum, I too find it encouraging.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I heard 70 was the new 50! Whatever that means

I am hearing that you should retire at 70 if:
a) You love your job more than anything else you could possibly be doing; in which case, 70 is probably to soon; or,
b) You can't afford to retire earlier.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
My feelings exactly! I glide out in less than 76 days. I'm working/planning to make it an easy transition for those who remain. I'm hearing 70 is the new 65 and people are should retire at that age (70). That's when I wonder if I'm during the right thing....going at 63. Thanks to this forum, I too find it encouraging.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

My glide path is only 90 days.......landing gear is down, flaps down and tail hook down ready to catch the three "3" wire...........so my landing will be very quick once I announce the news. Crazy times..........but I am encouraged by the posts I read on this site. Thanks everyone!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #48

My glide path started several years ago when I realised that I was close enough to start thinking of a specific date to FIRE on - at that point I found that negative events and negative people at work (which were few) started bothering me a lot less than they had when the end date was further off. At some point my attitude changed from "How do I get out of the rat race?" to "If I keep my head down and don't do anything stupid I will be out of here soon." During this period, if anything I tried to lift my on the job performance.

More recently, the stress levels fell again once I hit FI (even if I did agonise over the numbes and fall victim to OMY syndrome) and again once I handed in my notice. My work levels didn't really start dropping off until after I gave my notice.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #49

How long was your glide path?

I never heard the term "glide path" before: but if it means what I think it means, I'll say:

2 1/2 minutes
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I made my final decision six months out. But since I had to make it to my 55th birthday to get my health benefits, I worked just as hard as always. When dealing with those who make work difficult, I knew I was on final countdown, so it just didn't matter. I would not have to live with any long term consequences. My stress level was much lower. I worked with the same level of productivity until the last hour (no use in burning bridges).
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My glide path was about 4 months. I was quick to train the people taking over my responsibilities, so in the last few months whenever I got something I didn't want to do I legitimately handed it off to the new stuckee. That helped to significantly reduce my stress levels, and made the job almost fun again.

The annoyance level ramped up the final few days when one of the managers insisted I review and approve his team's work before I left. He wanted me to do it because he thought my replacement would be stricter with the approvals (he was correct). But by then I was already packing up the office and saying goodbyes, so I just ignored his request and dumped it on my replacement the morning of my final day. I think that manager got what he deserved.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #52

Interesting thread. I'm in the coast for as long as I can. Firecalc says I'm there (with NO padding, so I'm still here at work to build a pad.) But the BS bucket is pretty full.

It's interesting watching coworkers freak out. A friend of mine just gave 2 weeks notice - he's retiring. Management is SHOCKED. (Even though they basically pushed him towards it by upping his BS with the latest reorg.) He's 60... so not super young. He's a role model to me in frugalness. And his wife retired last year.

He gave me credit for pushing him off the fence. About a month ago we were talking. I found out he was the rare bird that qualified for retiree health care from our former megacorp. Our company split 3-4 years ago - and you had to meet the rule of 75 at the time of the split. (I was a few years away from it.). So health care is covered. I found out his mortgage is paid off. I found out his wife, independently, has retiree health care from her former employer, as well as a pension. I asked him point blank what the hell he was doing here!!! I guess that hit home.

He's had SUCH a big grin on his face this week. He's out/gone/buh-bye next week.

I hope to join him soon. My absolute latest date to retire is my 55th birthday. (I'm 52). but hope to go sooner... with a severance package (free money.)

Hitting the 100% success in firecalc does make an attitude change at work. My boss doesn't bug me as much (though he tries), arbitrary deadlines don't stress me as much. So I guess I'm in the glide... I just don't know the final date.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #53

I must say my glide is getting shorter. I just figured a way to rationalize that I need to lop 3.5 months off and retire in early June of 2016 instead of mid Sept. 2016.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We are now looking at Dec 31st and the landing zone is in sight. No amount of BS at work will take my eye off that landing spot! Throttling things back big time and letting the crap roll off my back like water off a ducks back.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
We are now looking at Dec 31st and the landing zone is in sight. No amount of BS at work will take my eye off that landing spot! Throttling things back big time and letting the crap roll off my back like water off a ducks back.

yesterday was my last day. Yes! It was sort of anti-climatic, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough as some people become clingy and want this and that before you walk out. Time is up........i'm out of there and it feels awesome!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Interesting. My glide path ends next year and it's like I'm already semi-retired. I could probably retire now but I'm too damned paranoid. Have an appointment Monday with a VG planner so we'll see what further advice I get.

Guess I consider myself semi-retired now because I come in late, miss any meetings I don't want to go to, and some days just call in because "something came up at home". In a way, it's like I have an internal attitude of a temp. Helps that I have every other Friday off and take 1-4 mental health days off a month (much vacation accrued). Also helps that I'm way overqualified for my position so I add a lot of value just by opening my mouth. Meanwhile, the focus is completely on life after ER, not anything to do with my current work. The idiots, boobs, political stuff I not only don't respond to, I don't even acknowledge. No, I'm not unenthused, I'm uninvolved. I'm in the job, just not of it.
Update: Last year, I instinctively knew this year would be the hardest to get through because it's the last. Having realized this, I've planned to use up all the vacation days I've saved up. Works out to having every Monday off this year. Coupled with every other Friday off due to my current flex schedule, it mean every other weekend is either a 3 or 4-day weekend for all of 2014.

Update #2: I also realized that despite my post above, my 3 all-too-often recurring emotions at w*ork are frustration, anger, and resentment, as a result of being affiliated with an institution steeped in incompetence and bureaucracy (unofficial organizational motto: why do things in one step when you can do them in three?). I have vowed that this last year calm will be the only emotion I experience, as all of it is no longer my problem.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Update: Last year, I instinctively knew this year would be the hardest to get through because it's the last. Having realized this, I've planned to use up all the vacation days I've saved up. Works out to having every Monday off this year. Coupled with every other Friday off due to my current flex schedule, it mean every other weekend is either a 3 or 4-day weekend for all of 2014.

Update #2: I also realized that despite my post above, my 3 all-too-often recurring emotions at w*ork are frustration, anger, and resentment, as a result of being affiliated with an institution steeped in incompetence and bureaucracy (unofficial organizational motto: why do things in one step when you can do them in three?). I have vowed that this last year calm will be the only emotion I experience, as all of it is no longer my problem.

Good for you........I wish I could have pulled out of the political office BS like you did. My daughter bought me a copy of that old movie called "Office Space" which helped me realize I just needed to suck it up and tolerate the incompetence and boobs running the office. Retiring feels like prison release after a long sentence that you were not guilty of! ha!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #58

I just retired. I would guess my glide path was about 3 years long. I knew when I would retire about 10 years out, though. I set my goal and always worked towards that. And with luck and planning, it worked out.

I never got madder nor mellowed at the jerks as I got shorter. My attitude never changed and neither did they. I had learned to tune them out years ago. Only you control your feelings and emotions. Not anyone else. I keep that in mind when dealing with jerks. I learned that in the school of hard knocks. I do admit my BS bucket got full at times, but I would go home and see it for what it is...and it would be less full the next day. Each day is a new day. That was my way of coping.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #59

This was my first 4-day weekend of 2014! Felt great! Next week is a 4-day w*rkweek, and week after another 4-day weekend. Figured out every other week through 2014 and retirement at end of this year is a 4-day weekend/3-day w*orkweek! Loving this glide path.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I was FI at 51 (everything vested to one extent or another) but ERd at 58. I stayed because I found myself in a situation I had w*rked "for" and "toward" for my entire c*reer. At that point, the additional money was gravy (or insurance).

I found that the typical BS stuff (sitting through staff meetings, performance planning and appraisals - both giving and receiving, etc.) bothered me much, MUCH less. I often blew off a lot of such things by, for instance, obviously w*rking on other things during staff mtg., while waiting until I heard something I needed to contribute.

What still "bothered" me was making certain I was contributing (and being VIEWED as contributing) to what I thought was my expected (and expectable) role - i.e., earning my salary. A performance appraisal criticizing me for being typically late with reports or other trivia never bothered nor concerned me - even if I thought it might cost in terms of money/promotion, etc. It did bother me if my management did not see eye to eye with me on what my role was - whether that would cost me or not.

I found that I would no longer let certain things go unchallenged - especially when I felt passionately about them. During my "glide path" I was in an interdepartmental meeting in which I was the recognized (as in my management recognized me as the) "expert". A (near) peer from another group criticized me for what he perceived as one of my failures. I wish I had a tape of my response as I surprised myself (and my Manager) as I cooly, calmly, professionally eviscerated the guy right in front of the whole group. My (female) manger was grabbing my thigh, thinking I was going to come across the table at the guy, but instead, in a couple of sentences, I demonstrated (in a clear but kind way) what a complete idiot this guy was. My Manager later apologized and complimented me for what could have gone very differently. At one time, I wouldn't have dared respond for fear of consequences. On the glide path, keeping ones j*b can become a relatively minor concern. At least it did for me.

Even though my glide path was long, I have few, if any regrets. It worked out well in many ways. I always knew I would know when it was time to leave - and I did. Naturally, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote