How long were you in the markets before FIRE

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not everyone is invested in the markets their entire lives.

DH had an account opened when she was 16. For me, I didn't open my first retirement account until I was 26.

I am planning on retiring at 50 which would give me 24 years into the market before I retire.

Curious how others were able to fair.

I first bought equities and bonds (in the form of mutual funds) in 1990, when I was 33. I ERd at 55. However, my personal equity investments were only part of the story. I also had an inheritance (mostly property) and a trust fund (invested with DRIP over many decades).

My grandfather gave his grandchildren shares of White Motor Co. in the 60's. I started buying stocks in the early 80's when I was in my 20's. Actually bought some options in the late 80's, though that was a fun (and profitable) trade.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

About 15 years, via a 457 account. Mostly it was target date funds since I had no clue about investing.

Bought mutual funds in FIDO in 1992 at age 32. Planning to retire in 2017 so hopefully it will only be 25 years in the mkt before Er.

I began contributing to my former company's 401k back in 1986 and that was a split between an S&P 500 fund and a stable value fund. I began buying shares of my first (non-retirement) mutual fund in 1990. It was a tax-free muni bond fund. It wasn't until 1994 when I began investing in something other than a muni bond fund in my non-retirement accounts.

24 years, and remain in of course.

Will be 32 years, barring megacollapse of equity and income markets. Started investing in 1985,with first real job after grad school.

We started our 401k's sometimes in the early 80s. So, it has been more than 30 years.

However, I did not start to learn about the stock market and even know the basic terminology such as large cap vs. small cap, value vs. growth stocks until the mid 90s. And I did not become an active investor until the late 90s.

About 25 years. Started participating in megacorp's 401k plan. Wasn't very knowledgable, but eventually discovered Scott Burns and Lou Ruykeser.

MegaMotors had a good 401(k) back in the early 80's. Unfortunately I knew nothing about investing and had all my money in stable market funds until the 90's. :(

We invested in our 401k's since we got married in 1989. When my father passed in 2006 he left us ~ 10k and I started investing outside of our 401k. Grew that to 120k with taxable and Roth. Wife retired into teeth of 2008 meltdown. I was forced to retire in 2010. Living comfortably now due to two pensions and ss. IRA's are our long term health plans.

I started putting money in stocks in my 403(b) when I started working in July 1980. Except for a little money that I had in TIAA (over 11% back then), I was 100% in stocks until I turned 50 in 2007 (took me 10 years finishing in 1993 to get totally out of TIAA). Now I am down to 65% stocks. Although I have changed funds a few times over the years; I have never market timed never selling any stock fund that didn't get transferred directly into another fund.

Just my 403(b) account is 100 times my starting pay in 1980 or 15 times current salary. I believe best to start in stocks early, don't sell, and stay 100% in stocks until you feel it is time to start diversifying.

Marc

PS Still planning on Class of 2016

MegaMotors had a good 401(k) back in the early 80's. Unfortunately I knew nothing about investing and had all my money in stable market funds until the 90's. :(

Back then, interest rate was high and those had returns in the double digits! So, it was easy to get complacent, leave money in there and not check.

I did not know enough to follow the market and missed out on quite a bit of gains.

~36 years. Initially I just invested in individual stocks via a Dean Witter broker who was across the hall from our offices. Some winners/some losers. ~1980 I took a job that had a 401k shortly after and I started and never stopped.

first brokerage account at 20, retired at 51 so 31 years for me. Add the six years of retirement and I guess I've been in for 37 years.

1987 to 2014, so 27 years. I now keep money for discretionary spending in the market.

Opened my 401k in 1985. Mutual funds in 1988. Started buying individual stocks in 1995 - and thought I was a genius for a few years :LOL:. Fortunately I learn before too late that individual stock picking wasn't for me and focused on mutual funds. At least some of the stocks I held onto have done very, well.

So 30 years 401k, 27 years mutual funds, and 20 years for stocks.

I opened my first brokerage account (Quick & Reilly) in 1981, when I was a senior in college. I will likely retire in 2019, so that will be 38 years in the market.

Since 1975. 40 years. 25 of which were really stupid. The last 15 were only moderately stupid. The only thing that got me here is I started early.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Since 1975. 40 years. 25 of which were really stupid. The last 15 were only moderately stupid. The only thing that got me here is I started early.

Subtract about five years, and this sounds a bit like my investing experience, with a couple of years of really lucky mixed in here and there. Got the bug with megacorp's 15% discount on employee purchase program in the 80's, made out good with that as it was during a period of strong growth and regular splits. Also did some pretty crazy day trading for a while, scared myself silly when I had a huge margin loan on a stock that began dropping. Almost thought I'd have to explain to DW why we had to sell the house; thankfully that stock recovered quickly and it did not come to that. The experience taught me a lesson, never to be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom