Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to implement a 10% pay reduction "to save" the company. Over 300+ were "asked" to take a cut. It was short lived-lay offs started shortly there after for over 1/3 of the company (but that is a different thread).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I turned down a 40% salary increase plus bonuses when offered a job to work outside academia. I'm sure I could have negotiated for more money and perks if I had been interested. However, it would require that I leave a career path and lifestyle that I enjoy to one that required 30%+ travel and a work environment that would eventually start filling a BS bucket. It was a good decision.

Cheers!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I never took a pay cut even after periods of unemployment. On the earlier layoff thread, I wrote that I had been laid off 5 times, including a couple of times by the same employer due to contract idiocy beyond my control. After the 2nd layoff by the same firm, I negotiated a significant raise when they were able to rehire me, because I knew that I was the only person who would be acceptable to the contract issuer.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #24

I took 3 pay cuts over my working life. The first was to go back to school and get an advanced degree. The second got me a pension and the final was to get out from a supervisor who just want to put out a good show by having everyone work longer hours and weekends (plus a few other things). With each step back, I ended up at a higher level, so while we did struggle for periods, our retirement plan improved over that time.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I turned down a 40% salary increase plus bonuses when offered a job to work outside academia. I'm sure I could have negotiated for more money and perks if I had been interested. However, it would require that I leave a career path and lifestyle that I enjoy to one that required 30%+ travel and a work environment that would eventually start filling a BS bucket. It was a good decision.

Cheers!
I can relate to that! I turned down a six-figure job when I retired from law enforcement because it would have required staying in the Washington, DC area and living our lives planning around the insane traffic congestion there, along with DW working six days a week. Instead we moved to West Virginia. And of course we gave a lot of thought to "was that the best thing to do?"

Six months later my sister commented "I've never seen you two so relaxed" and we knew we'd made the right choice.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #26

I took an expected pay cut in 1982-83 when I went to Grad school but I was working fewer hours too. Otherwise no pay cuts to the very end.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Only one but it was huge - a 50% cut in pay and benefits when I left the military in '78.

I took an entry level management job in an effort to stop the constant transfers I'd experienced in the military (I averaged a change of duty station every 14 months over an eight year period). The company transferred me six months later...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #28

I went to a 60% schedule after the birth of my oldest... But had to bump it up to 80% when I transfered locations. This was all voluntary.

In the past 8 years salaries have been virtually frozen... One 1.5% increase 4 years ago and 2% last year... So salaries have definitely fallen behind.

Lost the ESPP benefit 2 years ago due to corporate acquisition.... That was a 1.5% cut. Should get that back next month under the latest corporate overlords.

Health benefits were refactored to shift more cost to employees... That was a virtual pay cut.

Frozen pension in 1999, combined with reduction in 401k match.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I had a pay freeze many years ago when I was a resident: they stopped paying overtime (which was mandatory and amounted to approximately 40 hours per week). I had a pay cut followed by a freeze about 20 years ago as a young academic physician, but it applied to university money only, so it was not a huge deal. I took a pay cut again to move to my last job. The pay cut was supposed to be less than 20% but it turned out to be more like 30% because certain streams of income did not materialize. Finally I had the great RE pay cut, but at least I am getting more enjoyment out of life for my money!
I didn't count two pay cuts that I experienced because of strategic decisions I made to further my career. So that's six pay cuts in all. For the last 20+ years of my career I was an independent contractor. More volatile than being an employee, no guarantees, few benefits, no pension.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I was an SAP consultant during the roaring 90s. Salary has been downhill since the glory days. Uncompensated overtime, something that didnt happen in the 90s, is commonplace today. Won't miss IT at all once the plug is pulled.... any day now.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At Megacorp, they reduced compensation over a number of years through various actions. There was a temporary 5 percent pay cut, 10 percent for me. It was adjusted back after a year or so.

But the real cutbacks were not salary increments, or increments that did not come close to inflation.

Benefits, or salary burden as we called it, was reduced from something like 1.44 down to 1.26. (ie the total wage cost per $1 of salary was $1.44 when the cost of company benefits was added). All benefits were slowly shaved, including vacation and pension.

In the US, some employees were 'reclassified' downwards. They were given a choice, take a permanent salary reduction to reflect this so called reclassification or resign. Labour legislation prevented Megacorp from doing this in most other countries and certainly countries that would be called the developed western world.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
At Megacorp, they reduced compensation over a number of years through various actions. There was a temporary 5 percent pay cut, 10 percent for me. It was adjusted back after a year or so.

But the real cutbacks were not salary increments, or increments that did not come close to inflation.

Benefits, or salary burden as we called it, was reduced from something like 1.44 down to 1.26. (ie the total wage cost per $1 of salary was $1.44 when the cost of company benefits was added). All benefits were slowly shaved, including vacation and pension.

In the US, some employees were 'reclassified' downwards. They were given a choice, take a permanent salary reduction to reflect this so called reclassification or resign. Labour legislation prevented Megacorp from doing this in most other countries and certainly countries that would be called the developed western world.

A rate of 44% seems high.... also, where I worked vacation was not part of the burden.... IOW, it was 'salary'.... some days you took off, most days you did not...

The company where I worked was 16%....