Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

How many states have you been to? 39
Which was your favorite? Why? Probably Hawaii - warm, beautiful, exotic
How many would you like to/do you intend to visit in total? I'd like to visit the northeast, especially in the fall.
Which one is the top of your list? Alaska. I only set foot there while changing planes and haven't really seen it. Maine, I think is my second choice. For the fall colors
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52
47 Total-never been to Alaska, Hawaii, or California. I plan to someday to make it to at least California. Alaska and Hawaii are not on my radar.

Favorites - that's a tough one. I like Tennessee, NC, SC as possible retirement states. I like many as vacation destinations.
That is very interesting. I bet there are very few people who have been to 47 states, and California was not one of the 47. Reading this thread reminded me about a friend of mine who he and his wife just completed all 50 states. He mentioned he was thinking about going to work in North Dakota to work in oil industry. He also mentioned it would be closer to Vegas, where he likes to go. I thought about that for a second and said you idiot ND is further away from LV than where you live now. I guess going to all 50 states doesnt necessarily mean you know where they are at geographically.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

42 here. Missing ND, SD, IA, MN, WI, ME, VT and DE.
Favorite is CO for living, HI for just visiting.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I count 15 states I have visited or lived in. Looks like lots of travel opportunity for me in retirement.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

ha
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #26

Runningbum and I are kindred spirits. One of my hobbies is running Half-Marathons in different states. Between races, vacation and business trips I've been to 37. Make that 38 come April 29 when I run the Oklahoma City Half Marathon.
My favorite state - Hawaii [even though I haven't been there yet!]
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #27

38 total
18 on two wheels from home base here
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Been to a lot of them via traveling. However:

Washington - 26 yrs
Colorado - 4 yrs
Alabama - 2 yrs
Louisiana - 30 yrs
Missouri - 6 yrs

Louisiana is far and away my favorite. I hated it at first, transferring from Denver. But it's like a whole different culture and climate. Probably in some ways like living overseas.

Lately I've been trying to develop a warm spot in my heart for Kansas.

heh heh heh - Of course my Sis thinks I should move to Sequim or some place like that - high side of the Missouri on a hill is just ducky for now - until it isn't.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a 50 yet with all the ER folks who have time, money and like to travel, so I'll be the first.

I've been to all 50!

Not ER'd, tried to get them all in by age 50 but missed by a year. I haven't spent the night in all of them, so if that's your criteria I'd be missing 2 (I think).
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

lived in: Pa(two places), RI, NH, TN, CA (three places), AZ, NY (two places), ME, ND (construction work).

Missing 3 states, Alaska, Washington and Oregon. All other states at least a few days as we travelled around when at various jobsites.

Favorite areas, National park sites such as Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Bryce, Zion, Yellowstone, Acadia, Everglades etc.. All have their beauty in their flora and fauna.

I would avoid living in some areas of the south as I have encountered some attitudes not in sync with ours, Northern middle states are a little cold for my tastes, but I could live anywhere and be happy. Especially if you can get out in a canoe or hike in the mountains.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #31

25 States. Wouldn't mind being stuck in Hawaii.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, I thought I would be near the bottom of the list having visited only 38. You sure don't get out much do you?
I've done quite a bit of driving up and down California, but even so you're right - I don't get out much. I did just remember that I visited HI a few years ago, bringing my state total to 5 (4 really, as 20 minutes in AZ doesn't really count.) Forgot to include HI as in the back of my head I think of it as being a bit like a foreign country, as it is off the mainland.

I did live in England for 23 years though, and have visited several European countries (Greece, France, Belgium, Holland) as well as many trips to Alberta, Canada, and a few to Baja California, so I'm not a complete shut-in.

However, I have made radio contact with all 50 states using morse code and a 5 watt transmitter. Oh - that just makes me seem like more of a stay-at-home nerd doesn't it?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I should have added that my favorite state to visit was Maine. My family and I vacationed there for 2 weeks in the summer 3 times in th mid-1970s. I was a teenager back the and the camp we stayed at was very peaceful. But the best part was drinking the natural spring water which came from an actual spring and pumped into a small building near our cottage. It took us about a week to get used our home water after we got home although we brought several large jugs of it back with us.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

25 not counting the one I've changed planes in. I've also been in 24 countries.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Been to a lot of them via traveling. However:

Washington - 26 yrs
Colorado - 4 yrs
Alabama - 2 yrs
Louisiana - 30 yrs
Missouri - 6 yrs

Louisiana is far and away my favorite. I hated it at first, transferring from Denver. But it's like a whole different culture and climate. Probably in some ways like living overseas.

Lately I've been trying to develop a warm spot in my heart for Kansas.

heh heh heh - Of course my Sis thinks I should move to Sequim or some place like that - high side of the Missouri on a hill is just ducky for now - until it isn't.

Like UncleMick, I'll list where I lived as well.

I have only been to 35 states. I am missing some northeastern states (Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Connecticut) and some other northern states (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin). Although I have been to a lot of countries, I still have a lot of the U.S. left to explore! This is one reason why international travel doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather drive places within the U.S. at a leisurely pace. We are planning to take a spontaneous trip to the northeast sometime. I'd really like to see Connecticut and/or Pennsylvania.

I have lived in:

Missouri - 16 years
Hawaii - 6 years
Northern California - 6 years
Virginia - 1+ year
Mississippi - 1+ year
Southern California - 6 years
Texas - 12 years
Louisiana - 16 years

I listed Northern and Southern California separately, because to me they were so different.

I have a harder time answering "Where are you from?" than "What do you do all day?" I feel like I'm from Hawaii, since I spent probably 10 entire summers there when I was living elsewhere, since my family lived there for almost a half century, my parents are buried there, I graduated from high school and learned to drive there. But as you can see, I have spent more time in four other states. I was born in Missouri but out of the country during most of those first 16 years of life so it really doesn't count for 16 years at all.

My favorite? Most definitely Hawaii is in first place, but since I can't afford Hawaii and since I haven't lived there since 1975, I'll give runner-up honors to Louisiana, meaning the part of Louisiana south of I-10 (very different from North Louisiana). My least favorite by far was Southern California. YMMV

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

I have visited or lived in 32 . I actually got a map out and started counting . Hopefully in the next few years we will add a few more .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been to 49. Only missing Alaska.

Some states were not very memorable, like Idaho, Montana.

Also missed British Columbia and the Yukon.

Best place I visited hands down was Australia.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #38

42, missing way up NE, and N central

Lived in NY
MD
CA
NJ
PA
WA
ID
MS
MI
AZ
Doing AK next year, and HI before long, AZ is my current and favorite state.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #39

I've been to 39 states. I've visited most of those several times each. The only ones I'm missing are:

Delaware
Maryland
Rhode Island
Virginia
Alabama
South Dakota
Washington
Oregon
Idaho
Alaska
Hawaii

I have absolutely no desire at all to go to Hawaii, and very little, if any, desire to go to Alaska.

As for my favorite state....hmmmm, actually they are all my favorites!!! I say that because I've found things in and about each of the states that I've really enjoyed!!! From the beauty & solitude of places like Glacier N.P., and the 'down home' friendliness of podunk little "blink & miss them" towns of southern MO & northern AR, to the bright lights and hustle & bustle of NYC, Chicago, and L.A.

I enjoy the places, I enjoy the activities, I enjoy the food (I REALLY enjoy the food!), but most of all.....I enjoy the people that I meet wherever I am!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

@ age 29, I have been to 43 states and lived in 9 of them, received speeding tickets in 2.

I have not been to: NC, NJ, NH, VT, ME, OH, WV.

The state I currently reside in, UT, is by far my favorite.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote