Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #41

All 50 states (plus D.C., of course).
Finally got #50 (Montana) a couple of years ago for a backpacking trip to Glacier NP. Sure sorry I waited so long for that one!

Many favorites. Lived for the longest periods in NY, OH, CO, IL, and CA.

Alas, only four Canadian provinces, but I'm very eager to expand that list, starting this summer.

Also 15 nations, including my own, in North, Central, and South America, Europe, and Asia. Hmm. As I wrote that, I started wondering exactly which continent Iceland is considered to be in?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can come up with 16 20 21 (not including DC, of course) though I may be forgetting a couple. Not counting states I've only "been to" through an airport connection and never spent time there away from the airport. I do include those we drove through if we were there for a couple hours or more, spent a night there en route and/or stopped to do stuff.

(I also don't include Nebraska, where I was born and lived for the first 10 months of my life. If I don't remember being there, I don't count it.)

Alaska
Oregon
California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Missouri
Louisiana
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Virginia
New York
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Connecticut
North Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Minnesota
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

all but Alaska, ND, SD, Montana, Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Minnesota and Cuba.

Just Kidding! I know Cuba is not a state but it would have made a nice one.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been to 48 states. The two that I'm still planning for are South Dakota and West Virginia. My favorite state to live in is Oregon.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #45

I've been to all 48 contiguous states + DC. Never been to Alaska or Hawaii.

My advice is to get off the interstate and drive the older US highways and the scenic byways. Route 66 gets most of the publicity, but other US routes are longer and have just as much history. You will never see much on the interstate, with one noteworthy exception being I70 through Colorado.

I have enjoyed all the states. Heck, I've even enjoyed South Texas now that the kids are gone and we can travel in the winter.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #46

45 - Missing ID, MT, IA, ND, WI. Most of the rest I have either spent at least one night or they are big ones that we took a whole day to drive through. RI takes so little time to drive through that it's hard to say you've visited unless you spent the night, so I really should go back and see something there. I am fortunate that we traveled the east coast extensively when I was a child, and DH loves the west so we did that after we were married. I would like to see all 50 but not sure DH wants to bother.

Lived the longest in MD (born there), NC (college, if that counts), DE, and TX.

Favorite - that's really hard. I can think of things I have loved in at least half of the states. And I happen to find both deserts and the seacoast fascinating.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #47

Born and raised in Ohio. Adopted by Michigan because I went to college there, DW is from there and the kids were born and raised there. I still love Michigan for the scenic beauty, especially the northern part of the state and the upper pennisula. We have been in Florida almost since I retired in 1988. Love it also, especially the no snow part. We'll never leave. So, we've been in only 18 states and lived in four.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I have visited 20 states and lived in 2, soon to be 3. No favorite.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

How many states have you been to? 42
Missing: AK, ID, MT, ND, OR, SD, WV, WY
Which was your favorite? Why? Hawaii
How many would you like to/do you intend to visit in total? 50
Which one is the top of your list? Alaska
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

42 US States. Missing: Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Carolina.

1 US Territory - Western Samoa.

5 Canadian Provinces and 8 Mexican States.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
My advice is to get off the interstate and drive the older US highways and the scenic byways.
+1

We figured, in WV, (as just one example), that pretty much only local residents used some of the back roads we went on.......people outside would look up when we drove by, as if to see if they recognized the vehicle.....then they'd get puzzled looks like "Who the $@*& is that?"

The only way to travel......and that applies just about anywhere.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I've visited 35 states. I'm missing many of the plains states, plus a couple of other states. I'm trying to get my wife excited about buying a motorhome to visit all of the states when we retire. She thinks that she will miss her horses too much.
KMyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #53

Been to 33 states so far. Not just drove through, actually spent at least some time on the ground there. Lived in NC, TX, LA & WI. The 33 includes Alaska & Hawaii. Don't know about a single favorite. I'm quite happy when I'm in Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida....heck, I'm pretty happy most everywhere. I even really liked Wisconsin in the winter when it got down to 34 degrees & I had snow 2 feet higher than my mailbox!!! I guess I'm just a happy camper, wherever I am. At this moment, I'm in Bossier City, LA and am smiling.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #54

Lets see:

Nevada
California
Arizona
Utah
Idaho
Oregon
Washington
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida

I have been to airports in Texas, Colorado and Georgia in addition. I took a trip to Arkansas by car from Nevada as a baby, but don't remember it. And no, I didn't drive.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #55
Administrator

I've lived in 8 states (Ohio, West Virginia, Connecticut, Illinois, California, Texas, New York, Florida) and spent at least one night in 21 others plus DC. No favorites among those where I've lived - fond memories in each.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #56
Administrator

After this coming trip it will be 42. (we'll be visiting, for the first time, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Montana over the next 4 months).

Missing:

Alaska
Connecticut
Kansas
Maryland
Rhode Island
Vermont
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been to 48 and DC and Puerto Rico. Still waiting to visit Vermont and Maine.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
+1

We figured, in WV, (as just one example), that pretty much only local residents used some of the back roads we went on.......people outside would look up when we drove by, as if to see if they recognized the vehicle.....then they'd get puzzled looks like "Who the $@*& is that?"

The only way to travel......and that applies just about anywhere.
Are you sure you weren't in Arizona driving by my house?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2025.jpg (823.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Everything east of the Mississippi, only a handful west. Short 15 states.

Maine blew me away--never expected to love it so much. Oklahoma too I found really pretty, and surprised to really like coastal California, including LA. But I think my favorite would be South Carolina.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I am missing Alaska, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. So, that makes 44 states visited. I noticed that I could more-or-less drive through all but Alaska using a single, unbroken trip. In fact, DW and I are considering visiting SD (Mt. Rushmore et. Al.) this summer so we might just hit the others as well. I'm not sure I'll ever make it to AL. I'd like to go, but just the logistics (and cost) are impediments right now. At my age, I'd better get with the program or else I'll miss the opportunity.

My favorite state is HI. Most of the good things (and a few of the bad) are true about HI, but I guess I love HI for the weather, the people, the mountains and the ocean. I kinda wish Oahu were bigger (or else had fewer cars).

My favorite states to visit are probably CO and CA (I could live in CO, but not SoCal).

Specifically checking off all 50 states isn't a significant goal of mine. However, I've enjoyed every state I've visited, so I have to assume that the 6 I've missed have charms I'd be a fool to miss with the time I have left. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote