Join Early Retirement Today

How many states have you been to?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

One common elements that comes to mind WRT to discussion about FIRE is travel.

Which was your favorite? Why?
How many would you like to/do you intend to visit in total?
Which one is the top of your list?

Me?

Been to 45, Missing 5: ND, SD, MT, NM, AK
Michigan is my favorite state. I spent my first 24 years there...gets in your blood.
I would like to visit one more, NM, but no real interest in the others.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "been to" I have driven through a few and had a few hours layover in some but an extended stay or for a specific reason?

10 that I have been to or stayed over for more than one day. I would like to visit them all.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

35 I think; missing mostly central states and the southeast.
Idaho is probably my favorite state because it is my home state, although I think the most beautiful I've seen is Glacier/Waterton Park in Montana.
I'll probably visit them all at some point. I guess South Dakota would be top of the list just to see Mt. Rushmore.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Been to 30. Missing the entire northeast, northwest, Miss & Ala.

Az is my favorite state - great scenery, good weather. DW and I eventually want to visit all of them. We have an east coast fall color road trip and a west coast microbrewery trip planned. At this time, I don't know which state we'll visit next.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

45 Total -- Getting to 50 is a goal. I am missing AK (have travel plans this summer), and then Michigan, Wisconsin, Connecticut and Rhode Island. I don't count airport layovers in my totals.

Favorites -- There is something I have loved about each one. We were truly awed by Montana last summer.
RoccoPacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

47 Total-never been to Alaska, Hawaii, or California. I plan to someday to make it to at least California. Alaska and Hawaii are not on my radar.

Favorites - that's a tough one. I like Tennessee, NC, SC as possible retirement states. I like many as vacation destinations.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

37 Total states and about 23 countries Hawaii is my favorite place I just love the Hawaiian culture. Most of the states I have missed are in the Midwest but hope to visit them once I retire.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Haven't been to:
Alaska, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming.

Utah, Alaska are on the list of states I'd like to visit.....Iowa & Kansas, not so much.

Favorites: North Carolina, Idaho, Oregon, West Virginia, Mississippi, Arizona, Arkansas.

(Since we figure the economic outlook won't support a trip to Zambia or Namibia, which are our first choices, we may take a road trip west which could encompass four of the as yet unvisited states.)

(Visited countries: According to this site: http://www.ammap.com/visited_countries/index.php been to 55.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "been to" I have driven through a few and had a few hours layover in some but an extended stay or for a specific reason?

10 that I have been to or stayed over for more than one day. I would like to visit them all.
We took a wrong turn getting back on an Interstate in Oklahoma and found ourselves cutting across into Kansas for a few minutes. We high-fived that we had just added Kansas to our list of states we'd visited.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sad to say that in 25 years living in the US, I have only set foot in 4 of them - and one of those was only for about 20 minutes.

Lived in CA for 22 years
Lived in NV for 3 years
Spent a few days in OR
Spent 20 minutes in AZ (while visiting Hoover Dam)

I think this is part of the reason for my desire to stick all my stuff into storage and travel around in an RV for a few years.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Administrator

I haven't been to Lousiana, Mississippi, Nebraska or Kansas. I plan to visit the first two in the next few years. Not sure when I might ever get to Nebraska or Kansas.

My favorite is where I live now -- Connecticut. Others high on my list are Maine and Washington.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

47 total. Haven't been to Maine, South Dakota and Alaska.

Favorites....Colorado, Arizona, Oregon
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Sad to say that in 25 years living in the US, I have only set foot in 4 of them - and one of those was only for about 20 minutes.
Wow, I thought I would be near the bottom of the list having visited only 38. You sure don't get out much do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I think this is part of the reason for my desire to stick all my stuff into storage and travel around in an RV for a few years.
+1
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I lived on the East Cost, the West Coast, the Gulf Coast, and in the MidWest. I thought that I had missed about a dozen states travelling, but it turns out I've only missed Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. That latter three are connected to each other and all but Wyoming have a border with Canada (which I have been to a number of times).

So Wyoming, watch out! I've got you surrounded!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #15

43 states and 7 provinces. Favourite state is probably either Montana or California. Favourite province, so far, is either BC or Ontario.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
gone traveling

- State of bliss (retired)
- State of confusion
- State of intoxication (just a few times in my life)
- ... and many more ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been to 37, though I've only lived in 6. That was fun...I used this Free visited states map

My favorite has changed over the years, and I'm sure it will change again before I go poof. Besides, favorite state to visit (which depends on season as well) and favorite state to live in are completely different.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Picture1.gif (56.6 KB, 10 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
gone traveling

Missing Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Oregon. Hope to knock those out once I retire.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Only 18 states plus the District of Columbia for me. Then again, I am from New York which is the center of the country and hemisphere and planet LOL.....just going to neighboring New Jersey is a pain in the ass.

And of those 18+1 states, 6 of them I have been to only to change airplanes or drive through without having more than a meal. The 13 states I have spent meaningful time in are Cali, CT, DC, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Mass, New Jersey, NY, Oregon, PA, Texas, and Va. The other 6 are Del, Ky, MD, NH, RI, and Utah.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

41, missing WA, OR, ID, WY, ND, AZ, MI, NH, ME. I've actually been in WA waters on a whale watching trip from Victoria so 42 if you count that. RI is my only true pass-thru state. Some of the SE was drive through but I've stayed at least a night in each state, or visited something specific for a day.

There's a "50 states" club for marathoners, but I'd rather run races I want to do rather than checking off places. I've done them in DC, VA, NC, TX, MA, NE, NM, MN, PA, NY, and UT so far.

Favorite? I love my home state of VA, but also loved skiing in CO and UT, and Tahoe scenery in NV and CA.

Would like to visit the pacific NW so OR and WA are likely to be visited. The others, maybe some day though it wouldn't surprise me to never visit ND, WY or MI.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote