How many TV sets do you have in your house? POLL

How Many Active TV's in Your Home?

• Total voters
This is getting harder to measure in an apples to apples way. With new apps like Sony Playstation Vue and even network channels' apps, phones, iPads and computers can be TVs.

I have not had an active TV in my home since 2011. My "TV" is my 15" laptop screen.

One in upstairs family room we use mainly for watching the evening news. It's our first flat screen and is a 720p 55" plasma.

The main TV is in the downstairs TV room and is a newer 1080p LED.

Several years ago a client was telling me all about his new gadget (sling maybe?) that allowed him to route a signal to any of the numerous sets all over his house. He was trying to convince me I needed one too. When I could finally manage to get a word in edgewise I told home our house had only one TV. He was completely flabbergasted.

Just 1 that I use, a 65" in the living room. I've never had more than 1 TV connected.

I do have a 40" TV in the basement that's used as a computer monitor only, and a 32" TV that I used to use as a computer monitor that is now collecting dust in a spare room.

One. A 60" in my family room off the kitchen. I turn it on at 6:00 for the evening news and leave it on until I go to bed. Not glued to the screen all that time though. It's company while I prepare dinner and wash up afterwards.

At one time when the kids were living here, we had 5 (all 4 bedrooms plus the living room). All hooked up to cable with various STBs.

It's now 3... 70" Vizio in the living room, 42" Vizio in the master bedroom, and 65" Mitsubishi DLP in the media room upstairs, which used to be DS's bedroom. Fire TV boxes drive the main two in the living room and master bedroom. The DLP upstairs has OTA and a Chromecast, which doesn't get much use.

One. A 60" in my family room off the kitchen. I turn it on at 6:00 for the evening news and leave it on until I go to bed. Not glued to the screen all that time though. It's company while I prepare dinner and wash up afterwards.

Believe me, I can understand how the TV would help make meal preparation and clean up so much more pleasant. I listen to podcasts on my laptop computer while I do that sort of thing. I could listen to my TV instead, but just haven't done it lately for some reason.

2 but only one is "active" per OP description.

The 2nd is the larger and in the family room, but that's the one we either use for streaming (via xbox/pc chromecasting), or gaming.

The active one is in the office, hard wired into the network, with TIVO/cable direct.

I clicked "one." It is connected to an antenna so per the ground rules that makes it "active."

It's turned on less than six hours per year. It used to get two or three hours of action every presidential election year, but this time I was able to follow things easily by occasionally checking my android tablet while I spent my time reading.

We had quite a funny thing happen with that TV two years ago. When we turned it on, the dog, six or eight months old at that time, went semi-nuts. Running back and forth, looking behind it, etc. We really laughed when we realized that the tv had not been turned on since we brought her home from the breeder, six months or more prior. So it was her first time!

I have two.....the main in the den, and a secondary one in the bedroom that I use to put myself to sleep with when I can't get to sleep. For some reason, television makes me tired and knocks me out better than an anesthetic.

One in DH's office, which also has two recliners for us - can't sit in there when the kids are home. So, we have another in the basement with a sectional for large groups to watch football, basketball, etc. Then one in the kitchen/hearth room and one in the bedroom. Those four are on cable. There's another one in another bedroom and one in DH's man cave, both of which have Amazon Fire Sticks, so that = 6. An embarrassment of riches.

One that we use to watch TV, and an older one that is not hooked up to the TV feed and is only used to watch DVDs.

We have four connected to cable boxes and three in guest rooms using Roku or Apple TV devices over our wifi network. The most used tv is in our family room, a 54" Panasonic plasma. Our largest is a 106" screen with an Epson projector in our home theater in the basement.

5. One in each of 3 bedrooms (one of those is only used when our son comes to visit) and one each in the family room and kitchen.

I've got 3 in one room for watching college football on Saturdays.

You are my hero. I would love this setup!!!

We have 4. Watch 2 regularly. One occasionally. One gets watched if/when kids are home overnight, once or twice per year.

Two. 42" in the living room connected to the internet. 37" in the bedroom. (Inactive)

One 42 inch plasma in the family room that is used the most, 32 inch in the basement that is used when family visits (frequently....) and an old one in the bedroom that hasn't been on in a few years.

Another variant would be to ask how many tablets or iPads are in the house as well. TVs are being replaced by smaller screens, go figure. We had an iPad and 2 laptops for two adults.

4 in the house but only one is usually on.

TV #1 = 99% of our TV viewing time
TV's 2, 3 and 4 = all together about 1% (Maybe less)

I have two more in the workshops but they are very rarely turned on. (To much noise when I'm out there) So I won't count those.

Last edited:
LOL, I did not think that six was a lot of TVs, but based on this poll it is. Six tvs, two people.

How about no antenna or cable, but connected to a power outlet and also to a DVD, but that DVD has not been turned on for some forgotten time?

It's all about content that is delivered via paid service or OTA. :)

In that case, only 1 in each home.

The one in the metropolitan home is rarely turned on as I get news from the Web on my laptop.

We used the one in the boondocks home more, as we have no broadband Internet there and the DirectTV dish lets us get some news and entertainment.

Last edited:
I have a TV and a projector in the living room. They count as one because only one can be used at a time. The TV is usually disconnected.

I voted 8. However, inside the home there are two. The main TV is in the family room and the second, viewed about twice a year, is in the master bedroom. Both are connected to the internet via AppleTV. For TV, we watch only Hulu and Netflix.

The other 6 are in the RV, parked in the shop, next to the house. It has two in the main living area...when parked and watching a DVD, both of these are usually on because of the layout of the RV making it hard for both of us to watch the same TV. Then there's one in the master bedroom, that is watched sometimes. Then there are two bunks, each with a small, 16" or so TV. Finally, there is one outside. This one was the only one that we ordered as an option. All the others were included in the floor plan we chose. We had it added not because we wanted it per se, but because of resale value...I've never even seen anyone watching their outside TV, but everyone with a nice diesel pusher seems to "need one". So just to make it easier to sell when the time came, we ordered it.

Our other home in Nevada has one, only in the great room. This one is also connected only to Hulu and Netflix via AppleTV.

One active currently. 55" in the family room. But I will get a second one going in the garage once football season gets going! It aids in my cleaning efforts!

Back
Top Bottom