Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New Orelans to Honolulu
Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

New Orelans to Honolulu

My wife & are both retired engineers, & I can provide some definitive reasons for one major reason that the South has lower life expectancies: POLLUTION!

We lived there for 10 years, & kept wondering why our pets were dying, usually from cancer. Lost two dogs, five parrots, & a cat in less than a decade, so we started having our vet do necropsies. Turns out that there's so much crud in the air, water, & soil that life expectancies are seriously affected.

Here, in Hawaii, we still lose an occasional pet, but it's from old age (cat 19, parrots 29 & 44), & I'm pretty damn sure that wife & I are in better health, too! No primary-level manufacturing out here, & the tradewinds blow away anything minor that we generate. Our only problem is vog (volcanic fog) that blows up here from the Big Islands when the trades get weak - then it looks like a typical day in L.A.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catii View Post
My wife & are both retired engineers, & I can provide some definitive reasons for one major reason that the South has lower life expectancies: POLLUTION!

We lived there for 10 years, & kept wondering why our pets were dying, usually from cancer. Lost two dogs, five parrots, & a cat in less than a decade, so we started having our vet do necropsies. Turns out that there's so much crud in the air, water, & soil that life expectancies are seriously affected.

Here, in Hawaii, we still lose an occasional pet, but it's from old age (cat 19, parrots 29 & 44), & I'm pretty damn sure that wife & I are in better health, too! No primary-level manufacturing out here, & the tradewinds blow away anything minor that we generate. Our only problem is vog (volcanic fog) that blows up here from the Big Islands when the trades get weak - then it looks like a typical day in L.A.

Not sure if painting the entire south with that broad brush is accurate. Anyhow, you'll probably be happy to know we're closing down North Carolina. We're seeing way too many immigrants from other states. Going to a merit based system. Factors in decision will include number of guns owned, type of boat (bass boats and pontoons are a plus) your bringing, and number of trucks and jeeps per household.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Not sure if painting the entire south with that broad brush is accurate. Anyhow, you'll probably be happy to know we're closing down North Carolina. We're seeing way too many immigrants from other states. Going to a merit based system. Factors in decision will include number of guns owned, type of boat (bass boats and pontoons are a plus) your bringing, and number of trucks and jeeps per household.

Thank you for responding. You saved me from responding and being banned.

It's a beautiful night here in North Carolina.

Edited to add: I've had pets in NC for 30 years, and they all died of old age.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I Believe It

While many can probably say a change does not necessarily prolong ones life, my wife and I would beg to differ. We left the extreme cold and misery of Upstate NY nine years ago for TN and winters in SC, and we say every day that moving here will likely prolong our lives (the TN winters are great, too, but we like being on the ocean when others are not, hence the reason for SC). Now if we can just keep all the Californians, the wrong type of New Yorkers, and others from IL and elsewhere that have ruined those states from coming here, we should be good for decades to come.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
You'll thaw out
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

You'll thaw out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
So I'll live a year longer here in Syracuse mostly because I'm stored on ice 7 months a year. Keeps the old meat from rotting.
From personal experience leaving Syracuse, it won't take long to thaw out and you'll be living life the way it should be lived, IF you get out of NY.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
We need to have the same system here in TN, or at least in Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville. Personally we have #1 down to a science, we fail at #2 (prefer Harleys ourselves, which might merit some bonus points), and we drive an F-150 and a Hummer. We're golden!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My son’s asthma went away when we moved from Wisconsin to Kansas. We lived in the area between Milwaukee and Chicago when manufacturing was big. In Kansas it’s always windy so any pollution doesn’t stand a chance)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
From personal experience leaving Syracuse, it won't take long to thaw out and you'll be living life the way it should be lived, IF you get out of NY.
The article in the OP shows here better than there for once.
Just got back from Great Smokey's National Park. The park was great but surrounding towns are not places I'd enjoy living. Nashville visits a couple times seems to crowded and hot for my taste. Memphis doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Am planning a visit to Knoxville and Chattanooga soon. Maybe one of those will have a draw.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got back from Great Smokey's National Park. The park was great but surrounding towns are not places I'd enjoy living. Nashville visits a couple times seems to crowded and hot for my taste. Memphis doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Am planning a visit to Knoxville and Chattanooga soon. Maybe one of those will have a draw.
When working, I traveled Tennessee (and other states) extensively. Sounds as if you missed some of the really lovely towns of East TN--Morristown, Greeneville, Jonesborough/Johnson City. There are other great places to live West of Knoxville and south of Lenoir City on the Little Tennessee River. Maryville is also very nice. Just all of Middle Tennessee is nice, but it's getting HCOL in real estate prices. And traffic's sometimes debilitating. But south of Murfreesboro toward Shelbyville is really, really nice.

I remain with the Tennessee River in my front yard--2 hrs. south of Nashville Real estate prices are about as low as they go, and property taxes are ridiculously low. And it's not bad having 3 Robert Trent Jones golf courses within a mile of us.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
There are good and bad places anywhere
Old 07-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

There are good and bad places anywhere

Quote:
We chose to go the route of a small town and have not been disappointed in the Crossville area, Lake Tansi specifically for us. COL is low, the weather is great (four seasons without the winter extremes), and being a little up in altitude on the Cumberland Plateau we are little cooler than the cities you mention during the hot times of the summer. As for the cities they are being corrupted by those moving in from out of state (especially Nashville and then Knoxville) while Memphis has a bad crime rate due to the inner city. Chattanooga might still have possibilities; we would have moved there if we wanted a big city, and they have a trendy waterfront area on the river.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #51

The surprise to me was the lower Rio Grande valley in Texas. I thought that was one of the poorest areas in the US, with poor services, diets equal to those in the adjacent stroke belt, etc. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When working, I traveled Tennessee (and other states) extensively. Sounds as if you missed some of the really lovely towns of East TN--Morristown, Greeneville, Jonesborough/Johnson City. There are other great places to live West of Knoxville and south of Lenoir City on the Little Tennessee River. Maryville is also very nice. Just all of Middle Tennessee is nice, but it's getting HCOL in real estate prices. And traffic's sometimes debilitating. But south of Murfreesboro toward Shelbyville is really, really nice.

I remain with the Tennessee River in my front yard--2 hrs. south of Nashville Real estate prices are about as low as they go, and property taxes are ridiculously low. And it's not bad having 3 Robert Trent Jones golf courses within a mile of us.
I love the Tri-cities area (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City)...if I ever moved it would be to up there.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #53

Many factors .. I think the food you eat is a big factor .. and a less stress environment .. but yes, you must be active
Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
The surprise to me was the lower Rio Grande valley in Texas. I thought that was one of the poorest areas in the US, with poor services, diets equal to those in the adjacent stroke belt, etc. I wonder what the difference is?
Life expectancies for US Hispanics, especially women, are longer than for Anglo and African American peoples. Lower prevalence of heart disease and cancer. It is considered a paradox but some potential reasons may be that Hispanics are less likely to smoke, have more physical jobs, and have closer family ties. You can see the same on the map in northern NM and near El Paso.