How Moving to the right Place Can Prolong your Life

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The article says extreme heat and cold lowers lifespan. Yet people in Wisconsin live longer than people in Northern Nevada that has a mild 4 seasons.

So I'll live a year longer here in Syracuse mostly because I'm stored on ice 7 months a year. Keeps the old meat from rotting.

The authors emphasize that by far the biggest determinant to longevity in any given place is what they call “health capital” — the prior health behaviors, medical care and genetic inheritances people accumulate throughout their lives.
That seems more reasonable. Lifted from the end of the article.

For me, living in a temperate climate prolongs a healthy life because I can exercise outdoors all year. I’m less likely to go to a gym vs taking a walk, bike ride or hike. This is one reason we’ve stayed in So CA despite the HCOL.

I think this is nonsense.

So many factors including income, education, eating habits, ability (financial and otherwise) to access medical facilities, on and on.

Just one metric, but looks good overall for FLA. The access to good healthcare to me is near the top of the list and there is no shortage of good doctors in FLA, except perhaps some of the more rural areas.

I guess us southerners don't have to save so much for retirement.

Appears that genetics, physical activity and food intake are big factors in lifespans. Southerners fail at all three.

I want to believe this since I'm moving to Florida. But the correlation=causation thing. I'm not 65 yet but if you are 65 or older AND you are making a move, you are healthy enough to do it, and accepting of change enough to do it. Could just be the traits of the person who moved, not the geography.

I want to believe this since I'm moving to Florida. But the correlation=causation thing. I'm not 65 yet but if you are 65 or older AND you are making a move, you are healthy enough to do it, and accepting of change enough to do it. Could just be the traits of the person who moved, not the geography.

Good point, but will tell you definitively that good medical access in many places in FLA is very good, not to mention assisting in keeping down the ACA costs apples to apples.

I think this is true, especially if you are a refugee.

Except for SD and ID, most of the "heathier" areas are coastal or midwestern. Seems to also correspond to relatively costly (for a given state) urban centers.

My state and city did better than I thought they would. Certainly not the great weather... Maybe decent health care?

I think this is nonsense.

So many factors including income, education, eating habits, ability (financial and otherwise) to access medical facilities, on and on.

+1 From the article: "hat allowed them to strip away all the factors that affect longevity — such as health, lifestyle and genetics — to isolate the effect of location on life span. "

In other words lifestyle was intentionally deleted to assess longevity. I think that's called skewing the data.

I think the reason that the Deep South has lower life expectancy has far more to do with income level, than it does with climate. Lots of folks can't afford health care, and live paycheck to paycheck (if they are employed at all), which doesn't bode well for taking care of themselves...lots of obesity in the South.

For me, living in a temperate climate prolongs a healthy life because I can exercise outdoors all year. I’m less likely to go to a gym vs taking a walk, bike ride or hike. /QUOTE]

+1. We snowbird now, so we tend to avoid (or at least try to avoid) the worst of the weather at both places (extreme heat, and extreme cold/snow/ice).
That definitely allows me to spend more time outdoors, doing thinks like kayaking, biking, hiking.......as opposed to sitting inside the house at either location during the worst weather months. We also tend to go out and socialize more with friends when the weather is nice. I'm hoping that will keep me healthier longer........time will tell, I guess.

For me, living in a temperate climate prolongs a healthy life because I can exercise outdoors all year. I’m less likely to go to a gym vs taking a walk, bike ride or hike. This is one reason we’ve stayed in So CA despite the HCOL.
Why don't you come on over to Hawaii? Weather's nicer here, and so is the air quality!

Very happy in our 83rd year, here in our Liberty Village CCRC.

Jeanie and I just returned from an hour of exercise @ AJ's fitness Center... here in LV... 2 minutes away. Out of 22 full household moves, definitely the best.

Virge, who is 101, ... and Milo, 95, were there with us. Hope springs eternal.:)

+1. We snowbird now, so we tend to avoid (or at least try to avoid) the worst of the weather at both places (extreme heat, and extreme cold/snow/ice).
That definitely allows me to spend more time outdoors, doing thinks like kayaking, biking, hiking.......as opposed to sitting inside the house at either location during the worst weather months. We also tend to go out and socialize more with friends when the weather is nice. I'm hoping that will keep me healthier longer........time will tell, I guess.

This is pretty much our situation too. It took us 3-4 years into retirement to hit our snowbird stride and we don't go for more than 2 months total. Still, it does take the edge off. Just to see the sun again!
We love snow birding so much that we may cut down on our summer travel just to finance "getting the hell away" from the cold, dark, north in the winter.

This is pretty much our situation too. It took us 3-4 years into retirement to hit our snowbird stride and we don't go for more than 2 months total. Still, it does take the edge off. Just to see the sun again!
We love snow birding so much that we may cut down on our summer travel just to finance "getting the hell away" from the cold, dark, north in the winter.

We started snowbirding 9 years ago, right after I retired. Our first trip south was for 5 weeks.......then 6 weeks the next year........then 2 months......and last year it was 3 months, and we also ended up buying a small house down there. So, this coming winter it will be about 5 months or so (maybe close to 6). It's just so nice down there during that period of time that we'd much rather be there, than here. Once spring finally arrives in the North, we love to be here, but that's not typically until May where we live.

We started snowbirding 9 years ago, right after I retired. Our first trip south was for 5 weeks.......then 6 weeks the next year........then 2 months......and last year it was 3 months, and we also ended up buying a small house down there. So, this coming winter it will be about 5 months or so (maybe close to 6). It's just so nice down there during that period of time that we'd much rather be there, than here. Once spring finally arrives in the North, we love to be here, but that's not typically until May where we live.

Perhaps you can make Florida your primary residence and save state taxes, while still enjoying Michigan.

+1 From the article: "hat allowed them to strip away all the factors that affect longevity — such as health, lifestyle and genetics — to isolate the effect of location on life span. "

In other words lifestyle was intentionally deleted to assess longevity. I think that's called skewing the data.
I think of a similar but different word. [emoji23]

I think the reason that the Deep South has lower life expectancy has far more to do with income level, than it does with climate. Lots of folks can't afford health care, and live paycheck to paycheck (if they are employed at all), which doesn't bode well for taking care of themselves...lots of obesity in the South.

Easy to make poor food choices down here.

OTOH, if we all ate a more traditional Southern diet (beans, greens, onions, cornbread) there wouldn't be much of a problem with the latter.

Back
Top Bottom