Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much to do need to live off of in RE
Old 06-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #61

$10/month for Storage Bags??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
and finally
he called the recent supreme court decision on eminent domain
(taking of private property) "just dreadful" about 5 times.
I think it is way beyond "dreadful'
Yup,they'll be prying my property out of my cold dead hands.

I propose more of the attached!

http://www.freestarmedia.com/hotellostliberty2.html

Enjoy!

Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Rather than "How much do we need to live off in RE?", the question for us has always been, how much are we "going" to live off in retirement, although since I've been a member here I now call it ER or FIRE. We didn't know about such things 7 years ago when the planning began; we just knew we wanted out! Our theory was we'd each end up with $1,250 per mon, so call it 30k per year, and that would simply be the number we'd HAVE to live with, period.

As we got behind the concept and into the spirit of the enterprise that is FIRE we started reducing expenses in an overt way by forced savings via tax deferred 457 plan thru the workplace. Hit a major bump in the road a few years ago that wiped out half of that, but ya know, stuff happens! Move on... In the end DW is drawing her 30K, and when the ticker stops, I'll start drawing mine, so even with the set backs, we're going to end up just about twice as nice as where we expected to be, not counting any taxes we may be creeping into being eligible for at that level.

Still all in all, we're back to every 1st of the month our good friends back at the plant will deposit some sheckles in our bank account, and then it's our job to make 'em last thru the end of that same month without dipping into the reserves. Should be a cakewalk based on all the testimonials I've read on this thread alone, and that included some fellow Kalleeefornians.

Can't wait to join you so I can stop talking about it and start Just Doing It. 8)
Old 06-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, I agree - 1993 - getting layed off at 49 - the question was how were we going to live - while I was half heartedly looking for a job.

Turned out - the answer was - just fine. I was never 'official' until 55 and the first pension check. Used a lot of monikers inbetween.

Now - even though I'm old (61 - going on 62) - ER is just ducky with me.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
John,

The folks that are taking this property is big business. They are currently buying their way into government decisions. When the government is eliminated, the corporations will just eliminate the middleman. They'll just take your property!
Man, that is even darker than my view (of our future). Anyway, even if you
are correct, I will be long gone by then

JG
Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 AM   #66

Nobody is taking anybody's property. They are buying it for top dollar. Anyone who doesn't sell when the development tsunami hits will wish they had. Making a sale legally enforceable is troubling at least.

Our town is developing overnight. We are in name-your-own-priceville. Longtime residents are selling out for huge bucks. Resort hotels and monster condos are springing up like sea oats. Get this: The town is afraid to put a height restriction on buildings because, "We couldn't survive a huge lawsuit." These bastards can't be stopped - not here.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Not that bad here - yet - but yuck! - gentrification is underway here in the swamp also.

Here's hoping the RE bubble pops soon - not wanting to move in 1993 was one of the big reasons I ER'd.

The emotional ties to a spot vs the forces of change and development - heh, heh, heh - now why can't 'they' just hold still NOW THAT "I" HAVE RETIRED. Pesky humans!

And the property taxes have risen 3 - 4 fold in the last five years. Prior to that the assors office hadn't been out this way in probably 30 yrs. when 10k was an expensive fish camp.

First cup of coffee - grump, grump grump.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Yup,they'll be prying my property out of my cold dead hands.

I propose more of the attached!

http://www.freestarmedia.com/hotellostliberty2.html

Enjoy!
I hope to hell this goes through.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whakamole
I hope to hell this goes through.*
Cute! Remember my prediction.

JG
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #70

Quote:
I hope to hell this goes through.
Imagine this scenario: the major news media pick this up, and there's a story on the evening news programs. Some deep pocket backers get interested, add sweeteners for the town ("let us build this hotel, and we'll give the city a million dollars for playgrounds and infrastructure improvements"). Thousands of people reserve their night in the hotel even before it's built, so that they can thumb their noses at this new ruling, and the city is forced to approve it since it's for the public good.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
25K (gross) for 2 people and 4 dogs. No problem.* $50 per day is
still doable.

JG
Let me get this straight in my head that's $50 x 365 days or $18250 a year? That's all? Then if you are making it on 25K with two people I should make with one person on 40K !

I will have two pensions plus SS starting next year total gross pensions above plus what I can reap from my Gov thrift savings. Hmmm maybe I should stop worrying.*

Kitty
Old 07-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Let me get this straight in my head that's $50 x 365 days or $18250 a year? That's all? Then if you are making it on 25K with two people I should make with one person on 40K !

I will have two pensions plus SS starting next year total gross pensions above plus what I can reap from my Gov thrift savings. Hmmm maybe I should stop worrying.*

Kitty
Hello Kitty. All of the regulars know my story and yes..........you have it right. The quote of mine you posted is literally 100% accurate. Not only is 25K annually comfortable for us, we own two (2) residences, three (3) boats and
two (2) vehicles all free and clear. My personal net worth has
increased significantly since I semiretired in 1993 (no stocks). And..............
I have not yet started drawing on SS or my IRA. So, yeah, you should
"stop worrying"

JG
Old 07-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

The downside is you're forced to drink white wine with red meat
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
The downside is you're forced to drink white wine with red meat
You get used to it

JG
Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Ah yes, I agree - 1993 - getting layed off at 49 - the question was how were we going to live - while I was half heartedly looking for a job.

Turned out - the answer was - just fine. I was never 'official' until 55 and the first pension check. Used a lot of monikers inbetween.

Now - even though I'm old (61 - going on 62) - ER is just ducky with me.
Yup, yup. Me too. Got laid off at 44 and started to look for another job (not very hard though). We've been ER'd since then - everything just kinda came together. The worst part was the health insurance - I did not know how we would make it without company paid health insurance - it turns out, we're making it just fine with some catastrophic insurance - just pay for the docs and the meds.

This ER thing is hard to get your mind around - you've really got to be a rugged individualist. Nobody else out there doing this (except for you guys).

Old 07-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hello Kitty.* All of the regulars know my story and yes..........you have it right.* The quote of mine you posted is literally 100% accurate.* Not only is 25K annually comfortable for us, we own two (2) residences, three (3) boats and
two (2) vehicles all free and clear.* My personal net worth has
increased significantly since I semiretired in 1993 (no stocks).* *And..............
I have not yet started drawing on SS or my IRA.* So, yeah, you should
"stop worrying"* * * *

JG
Darn no what will I do ?
I am real good at worrying got the act down so I can do it in my sleep. I am accused of doing my work the same way

I know one shouldn't wish their life away but... I have 392 days to freedom-now I have to get a new act
Kitty
Old 07-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Wellllll

During the first eleven yrs of ER - I worried a lot while things worked out well and ER got better and better.

Now in the 12 th year I worry that I'm not spending enough.

I probably have the worry gene - you know like some people are born with the happy gene.

I accept worry as normal and try not to take myself too serious. Also - have let go the urge to 'go someplace do SOMETHING BIG' in ER. You know - write a book, join the Peace Corp.,climb Kilaminjaro, scuba dive Bora, Bora - etc. etc.

Doing nothing in particular - and if the mood strikes - just go do it - is just ducky with me.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wellllll

During the first eleven yrs of ER - I worried a lot while things worked out well and ER got better and better.

I probably have the worry gene - you know like some people are born with the happy gene.

I accept worry as normal and try not to take myself too serious. Also - have let go the urge to 'go someplace do SOMETHING BIG' in ER. You know - write a book, join the Peace Corp.,climb Kilaminjaro, scuba dive Bora, Bora - etc. etc.

Doing nothing in particular - and if the mood strikes - just go do it - is just ducky with me.

I think I know what you mean of all the things I have worried about almost all of it didn't amount to much. As far having to do something I have had a struggle with that also. I feel as though I should do something.... Then again I have done something I have had two careers I've done enough time to do what I want when I want and if that is take a nap in the hammock then that is what it will be.
Kitty :
Old 07-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
I think I know what you mean of all the things I have worried about almost all of it didn't amount to much. As far having to do something I have had a struggle with that also. I feel as though I should do something.... Then again I have done something I have had two careers I've done enough time to do what I want when I want and if that is take a nap in the hammock then that is what it will be.
Kitty :
Yesterday I took 2 naps. ER.......you gotta love it!

JG
Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 AM   #80

Quote:
Wellllll

Good post unclemick (I like your style). I do have the urge to "Do something BIG", but it wouldn't be anything to jeopardize our meager
pile. Sadly, as time goes by the options for this (some big dramatic
move/adventure) diminish. It's natural but I don't have to like it.
Anyway, we have a pretty nice life just the way things are so..............
no complaints. I just remember all of the big adventures I never quite got to.

JG