Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Before I retired (at age 60) I heard that a lot. Afterwards not so much. For the first few years after I retired people would often ask me "who I worked for". Now I don't hear that much either. Guess my age is showing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

I'm not. I retired at 54.

lol

I had to wait until 55 so my company paid pension and health insurance kicked in. The timing was perfect... I retired at a time when my company had both a pension and a matching 401K and paid all health insurance cost in retirement. That company no longer has all those benefits for newer employees.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not retired yet, but my plan is to say, "I'm the capital asset manager for a very small private organization."
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

I'm not retired yet, but my plan is to say, "I'm the capital asset manager for a very small private organization."

Good thinking !

CEO, CFO, COO and CCBW [Chief Cook and Bottle Washer]

Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I am also a consultant if anyone asks. I got tired of trying to "deal with their concern" when they would tell me, "Oh my! You will be bored; you HAVE to w*rk at your age; You mean you're actually unemployed...don't worry something will come along!" So...the consultant thing is just easier. I agree about your friend being 60 and getting push back...I can't understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
52 here
...Well, not to be a topper or anything... (see below)
Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I hear it fairly often. Thought it was meant as a compliment. Maybe you should look at it that way.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Never. Though I don't really tell a lot of strangers that I'm retired (many times I slip that I "run a website", "consult", or "stay at home with the kids"). I think I'm also waaaay too young to retire so it doesn't even make sense or they think I'm full of BS.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
lol

I had to wait until 55 so my company paid pension and health insurance kicked in. The timing was perfect... I retired at a time when my company had both a pension and a matching 401K and paid all health insurance cost in retirement. That company no longer has all those benefits for newer employees.

Mine too, but they made a special exception for extra dead wood and gave me a special early at 54. Ditto on benefits for newer employees. We made out like bandits.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 51 and retiring by end of this year. When people ask what I do? I'll tell them I do 'IT'. But IT after 12/31 will mean International Travel... My current profession is in IT(Information Technology) so it'll go along nicely with people I already know.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

No longer.....I'm old as dirt now.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Mine too, but they made a special exception for extra dead wood and gave me a special early at 54. Ditto on benefits for newer employees. We made out like bandits.

We were blessed.

If your company was like mine... most retirees were a totally different demographic.

" The times they are achangin'... "

Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #32

My stock answer was always "I'm trying to be retired, but people keep asking me to consult." That has always been accepted and almost never leads to follow-up questions.

However, since the people asking me to consult are usually startups that are not making a profit yet, I don't bill them for my time, but it still counts as consulting, and it's only a few hours a month as a rule.

The few that are actually profitable concerns get billed, but that has never amounted to more than a few thousand bucks a year. I firmly turn down any greater involvement than that.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
We were blessed.

If your company was like mine... most retirees were a totally different demographic.

" The times they are achangin'... "

Yes they are. Megacorps have no desire or incentive to give packages. Layoffs for the 50+ set are getting brutal with very little banditry.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I FIRED in my 40's and really look "too young to retire", but I've been told that by only one person out of the almost 2 dozen people I've told. About half of the people don't know what to say, so it's probably good that they usually don't say anything. The other half is very impressed, but we quickly move on to topics more accessible to all! A rare few have asked more detailed followup questions, and I try to oblige.

Based on what I've read before FIRE, I expect more adverse/annoying reactions, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd make something up like "private equity manager", but I just say "I'm retired". We know most of our friends from church or a kayak club. Fortunately, no one really cares what anyone does for a living and we just enjoy each other's company.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I was 58- 4 years ago when I semi-retired so has not been an issue.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Don't we all consult to ourselves, especially if we are managing our finances? I say that is an answer that will pass the truth test.
One problem in saying "I'm a consultant" is that sometimes nosy people get more inquisitive and want to know what kind of consulting work we do.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

That's when you slam 'em with;

"None of your business, you think I want competition from you?"
Old 09-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
One problem in saying "I'm a consultant" is that sometimes nosy people get more inquisitive and want to know what kind of consulting work we do.
"I help 30-something millionaires enjoy their money and their lives more". I actually started a consulting side hustle and that's my typical client so I'm not lying (except I spend 0-5 hrs/month consulting). You could use that line even if your sole client is yourself (well maybe make it 40-something or 50-something or whatever age you are at the moment).
Old 09-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I've been told that I look too young too retire...I left at 53 back in spring, but I'm fit with a full head of non-grey hair and look younger

If they're older, I just throw it back at them and ask them why they're still working.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm 68, and look it. Most of the people that ask me what I do are retired themselves. They're just making small talk. I tell them I'm a retired oceanographer, they ask me who I used to work for, and we chitchat for a while about my old job. Then I ask them what they used to do, and more chitchat goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.
Those who are offending him by their responses sound like they are being purposely mean or nasty. I don't have to spend a lot of time around mean or nasty people these days.... because I'm RETIRED.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread